Collaboration of Day After Day

sws626

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 am

Come on out and take a bow, guys. You were fantastic.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:17 am

You first Stuart. Your playing on this was very inspirational, the live quality and energy was what prompted me to add the vocal which was easy following your playing. And it was great fun to have Dennis join in with harmonies... something I'm not yet able to do anywhere as near proficiently as Dennis does... and that falsetto was just great. Daryl just has the knack of nailing what it takes to give a song its signature sound... even though this is his first go at slide guitar, I think. So all in all this was a spontaneous little collab inspired by your choice of song and the way you did it. Hat off to all!

And if I understand it right, this was released in Barcelona? No need to go to the extra expense :-)

MarkM

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 am

Wow!! This Monday is turning out better than expected. Nice job by everyone here. It's amazing what a little collaboration will do to a song. Thanks for posting. This one will have to go in the TG Highlight reel.

MarkM

sws626

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am

Greetings from Barcelona -- home of the Mobile World Congress and annual stomping ground of the industry that pays the bills so I can indulge in all of this fun stuff.

Thanks everyone for listening. And thanks most of all to Chris and Dennis for their beautiful vocal contributions and to Daryl for his stellar debut on slide guitar. Chris also did a great job on balancing it all in the final mix.

-Stuart

daryl

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Stellar work from Stuart, Chris, and Dennis.

Yes, indeed, that was my 1st time ever attempting slide. I gotta tell you slide is none too easy - though Peter Hamm makes it look simple. :-( I didn't even have a slide, so I used a 2" piece of 1/2" copper. I must say though that I do like the last slide lick in the song.....I thought I nailed that one! Anyway, it was great fun and a good challenge for me though I don't think I'll take up playing slide guitar anytime soon.

lueders

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Aaaaaaah, very very nice and well done! :cheer:

Liked everything about it, vocals (great backingvocals Den!!), guitar, slideguitar (very cool Daryl!), it's really great to have guitar and singingbuddy's, isn't it??! ;)

cheers guys!

Ness

BobR

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

That was just simply fabulous all around.

Excellent job, Stuart, Chris, Daryl and Dennis. Way to put a collaboration together.! ! ! !

Bob

dekotaj

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Just can't stop coming back and watching this ROCK SOLID Performance

Solid Vocals all around!

Stuart Great stuff,Lay it down and they will fallow!

Watch out folks, we have a slide player in the house!They were all good, but you did nail the last one.Bravo

Kevin

lueders

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 am

I agree Mark...Mondays get a bad rap. Good Golly!!! so many TGers have been busy bees out there with these GREAT surprise uploads!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh:

I might not be the toughest critic in the world but...this WAS good...I don't care who you are. I actually felt this was FREAKISHLY SCARY GOOD!!! What a special salute to classic rock this thing was!!! Amazing how well your voices blinded!! NICE, NICE, NICE!!
Indeed, very, very Classic Rock sounding voices fellas!...e

And, Daryl (who CLAIMS to have never played slide before) ...invoking the spirit off Hamm, Duane Allman, & Elmore James. Boy that was something else!!! Nice going!! Man I'd be proud of that, if I were you!! Congrats, Dude! Curious though...what did you use as a brass slide? (I'm picturing some brass plummer's coupling or something or rather.?lol) Knowing you... you probably tweaked/fine-tuned it somehow. lol! ;)
Tell the truth...how much trial an error did you go through? How many trips to Home Depot did you make?

daryl

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 am

Cori, I did try a few different things as a slide....various tools from the toolbox.....and I was on my way to try out a spark plug socket wrench piece when I remembered I had some small pieces of copper pipe.....I was going to try various glassware but the copper pipe seemed to work pretty well. In terms of "trial and error" in the playing....I worked on each little section (there were 6 of them I think) separately. Looping each section and playing along over and over and over until I knew it was futile to continue. I then recorded the particular section 3 times (3 different takes) and combined them to make a fuller sound. The hardest section for me was the 8 bar solo. And of course, all of this was much more difficult as I don't have access to Neil's lessons (particularly the "here's how to play the slide parts in Day After Day" lesson :( )

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic