Busking Nick Drake

michelew

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Introduction in the 'upload for review'-section:

'Hey TG-friends!

It’s been a while and what can I say…been working on this River Man-song by Nick Drake, and Neil hasn’t exaggerated a bit when mentioning that it’s a challenge to play and sing this….gosh…! :dry: :S

To me singing and playing comes quite natural since I’ve done that ever since I was a little kid, so to be challenged like this was kinda new. And for that I actually just lóved working on it, not to mention that I absolutely love this song…..it’s just so emotional and intense in so many ways……

A huge thank you to you Neil, for challenging and inspiring me in different ways all the time, I just love it…..like others have often stated, TG has brought so much to my musical life, I can’t thank you enough for that….and yeah, I truly hope you’ll enjoy this upload…! :) :) :)

Cheers all, you’re all great! :cheer:

Ness'

ps. The key of the song is obviously too low for me, so I capoed it up a whole step.....still too low actually :S .....but....well I didn't really care, I just wanted to be able to play and sing it!! :P'

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Great video Vanessa

You sound like the real thing (not coca cola) !!

It must be great pick stuff up and play like you do !

Keep up the good music.

Dermot

BigBear

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Nesh- just fantastic! Every one of your videos have been wonderful. You are a very talented player and an inspiration to the rest of us who aren't.

Keep up the great work and congratulations on another well played song. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers! :cheer:

daryl

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Very Very Impressive. I bow to you. That is NOT an easy song to play and sing. And your choice of guitar was perfect too!

BobR

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Vanessa,

Very nicely done. You say it's tough to play and sing but I think you did a great job.

Thanks for sharing.

michelew

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 pm

WOW! It just gets better with each listen.

Shel

Craig

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Vanessa,
I'm not familiar with much of Nike Drake's stuff but that is certainly a haunting melody that grows on you. I really enjoyed your version of it! Well done. I'm kinda glad to hear that something actually challenged you! :laugh: you'd never know it from watching your video!

Craig

familyman4

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 am

I just about missed this thread & song post. Boy am I glad I didn't! Wonderful job on another tough song. You are a joy to listen to!

Thanks for sharing....
Bart

willem

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 am

Dermot: Thanks so much Dermot! Yes it is great to pick up stuff and just play! :) Still I really worked hard on this one....can't say that it's hard to play (although the pinky was totally new to me too), it's quite repetitive, untíl you start singing, haha :laugh: ! This song absolutely shows that you need to hard wire the playing. You should be able to play it and have a conversation. So after working out what to play, play from the sheets, hum along. Then play by heart, then hum along. Then start singing one verse and so on. The process was actually quite fascinating, but it improved every day and now I'm like 'now whý was that so hard'???? Hahaha :laugh: ! Even when I saw Neil do the play through I couldn't really imagine that it would be so hard (I of course believed him), until I tried myself.......gosh :S ....anyway, like I said, I really loved the challenge, which was a new one to me. Thanks Dermot, very glad you've enjoyed it! :) :)

Bear: Gosh Bear, what a generous and very kind comment, absolutely appreciate it!!! Smiling, smiling and more smiling :P !!!! Thanks so much!! :cheer:

Daryl: WOW!! I thought that was really a major compliment..... :blush: ....Indeed NOT easy to play and sing. Also glad you liked the guitarchoice, since I really doubted between several guitars and eventually went for this one. Thanks a whole bunch Daryl, means a lot! :)

Bob: Thanks so much Bob! Well I'm of course really glad you think so, it of course feels great to beat a challenge! :woohoo: Thanks again!

Michele: What a sweet woman you are!!! :P :silly:

Craig: Hi Craig, I wasn't familiar with Nick's stuff as well, until firstly MattM introduced me to 'Pink Moon', then Dean with 'Place to Be' and now this one by Neil (he put up the lesson a week ago), and for whatever reason, I really really like his songs. They're all kinda dark, emotional and intense (I'm a sucker for that! :P ), love the subtleties in his guitarplaying too, so they're great to play. And yeah, trust me, I was challenged in a way which I hadn't experienced before. At least I can't remember....singing and playing has always been natural to me, but in thís one, haha! :laugh: Gosh...... :S ! Anyway, I'm glad that it doesn't show ;)! Thanks so much Craig, really appreciate your support! :)

Bart: Aaaah you're a sweet man Bart!! I'm of course very pleased to hear you think so! :cheer: And yeah, this thread could use another Nick Drake upload, although I also posted it in the review-channel as well (want to show my teacher what I've accomplished of course ;) ). Thanks so much for dropping by and your kind comment!

Thanks all!!! :) :cheer: :)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic