Busking Nick Drake

flattop1

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey all!

This is actually a request by Matt who uploaded this song last week in the reviews-channel.

I have to say that I haven’t heard of Nick Drake or this song at all. Anyway, it got me working on it yesterday, and it’s really a fun one to play. There are só many subleties in it (hard to remember them all after a day :S ), it would actually make up for a great lesson. Thankfully there ain’t that many lyrics, although I have the feeling they’re deep. Pink Moon????! What's up with that? :huh: :dry: :P

They key is of course too low for me, but I kept it as it is anyway. You can imagine that I couldn’t sing the line ‘Pink pink pink pink pink Moon’ :laugh: !

And now my index is sore….! :S (I had to play it with my pinky, but normally I would use my ringfinger)

Alright, Matt, I truly hope it is good enough and that it is a bit as you had in mind when asking me to play and sing this song. I followed most of the tab, but I'm sure there is just me in there as well. :)

Cheers all, hope you’ll enjoy!

Ness

daryl

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Don't know the song but....TotallySmooth...TotallyCool....nice full sound on that guitar there.

MarkM

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Ness,

I don't know the song but you made it very enjoyable to listen too. Very nice tone you have going there. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Ness:

I recognized the song when Matt posted it last week. I enjoyed his upload very much. One of those that you forget about and get re-acquainted with... :)

I would agree that played as-is turned out a bit too low for you, but wow, it was smooth and sounded very nice. You could probably capo at 2 or 3 and the range would be better for you. I always enjoy watching the hand-work on your playing. It just looks so darn comfortable (kind of like when I play air-guitar.... :silly: :silly: ).

Didn't notice and problems with the index finger... ;)

Excellent job, as always.... :)

MJ

willem

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Daryl: Wow, you sneaked in really fast, haha! But I só loved reading your comment, just TotallyGreat! :P Thanks!

Mark: Thank you very much Mark. I indeed didn't know the song either, but after hearing it several times, it kinda sneaks up on you, it's quite an intense song and very interesting to play as well. Very glad you've enjoyed it!

MJ: Ha, Jason, thanks so much!! And yeah, I hear you, but you know, If it was just me sharing it with all of you I would have capoed it, but the video is really for Matt, so that was the reason why I kept it as it is on the record. Although i don't think that it would do the sound of the guitar any good by capoing it, this Dsus4 (or Csus4 without the capo) is a very intense sound, really droning, I love it! Thanks for the kind comment Jason, really appreciate it! Airguitar?! Haha! :silly: :laugh: :P

Ness

JHall

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Ness,

I've been listening to Nick Drake for many years now (the three CD's I have anyway), and I have to say... I LOVED IT! You really did the song justice with both playing and singing. 'Pink Moon' is one of my favorites but I also like 'Things Behind The Sun' and 'Northern Sky'. Now that this thread is started, maybe those will show up too! Thanks again for sharing.

John

schm040

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Ness,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

What can I say except I am both amazed and humbled by your ability to learn a song so fast. One day!!!

Thanks to you I will be able to take my version a lot further, especially the way you picked up on the accented beats in the intro, I didn't pick that up so well.

It looks like some others are interested in learning too. This is what makes TG a great place to be.

Matt

lueders

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
YES! YES! YES!!!....woohoo!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
So awesome!!! Thank You, Vanessa! Thank You Matt for requesting this!!!
You have both made me a very, very happy camper!

Man that is up there with your Tracy Chapman!! (well, okay...Very darn near at least)

Great Job, Vanessa!!!

"I say it written on the forum post...Pink Moon again today...Pink, Pink, Pink, Pink Moon !"

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm

That's really nice Vanessa and very smoooth. :-)

dennisg

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Yes, I see exactly what you mean when you say that there are a lot of little subtle things in the song, but I feel that way about all your videos. Even with campfire songs, there's always a little something extra that raises your playing far above ordinary. Absolutely beautiful job Vanessa. I loved what you did with the open tuning on this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic