Busking a Remake of the First Song You Ever Posted to TG

dennisg

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Think you're a better guitarist than you were when you first joined TG? Here's your chance to prove it to yourself, have some fun, and revisit a song that was once important to you.

The proposition: remake your very first TG video to see if you can improve on it in any way. As for me, I started modestly on my first one with a Beatles song I felt wouldn't give me much trouble. Still, I think I found a way to play it better today than I did two years ago. My playing has improved and so has the recording quality.

Speaking of recording, one thing I learned today is that what I record on my iPad is different than what appears in the final video. While my iPad shows plenty of clearance above my head, iMovie wants to convert the aspect ratio, clipping off the video so that the top of my head is obscured. I'll have to keep that in mind next time.

Anyway, I'd love to see you nice folks revisit -- and remake -- your first videos and post the results here.

Here's today's version, played in McCartney's original key:

And here's my original version from about two years ago, sung in a lower key:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/86- ... pload.html

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Nice idea Dennis.
But you're cheating... you keep buying nicer guitars and using them!
No, seriously, you have much more ease of playing in your videos too, you can see the development.
Can you copy paste the first version too so its easier to compare?

dennisg

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Nice idea, Chris. Above is a link to my first video. By the way, what was your first song upload?

And the rest of you? Which song was your first on TG?

AcousticAl

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Excellent idea, Dennis!
Unfortunately, a lot of us will see that our first videos were 'headless'.
Should be fun, and I'll do one when I get back from a few trips I have coming up.

Re. your playing- Your current version is much smoother. More confident and relaxed all round.

michelew

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am

Den I agree with Al's comments all around.

I like them both but your latest one is more solid and relaxed. It sounds nicer too. Beautiful

Of course you are bucking what is bound to be the "headless then, guitar face now" trend. How unlike you.

I just listened to my first post "Blackbird". OMG!!! Horrible! You were all so sweet to me at the time. The whole way through the words "sustain, sustain, sustain" and "sooooo serious" kept ringing in my head. I haven't played Blackbird like...forever, but if I can't do a better job once I've dug it out of my memory banks (actually relearned it) and loosened my fingers then I'm in BIG trouble. :)

This is a great idea for a thread.

tovo

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 am

My first video sucked...it wouldn't be much better now. But YOU on the other hand. You were awesome from the start and you are awesomer now. That guitar sounds so damned good it's heavenly. You sound OK also.

michelew

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:13 am

tovo wrote:
My first video sucked...it wouldn't be much better now. But YOU on the other hand. You were awesome from the start and you are awesomer now. That guitar sounds so damned good it's heavenly. You sound OK also.
"awesomer"...haha! Yes I absolutely agree.

You sucking now... Naaaaaaah. Your improvement has been amazing. And I'm not sure that I ever saw your first upload. What was it?

suziko

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 am

Smoother and much more musical are the words that come to mind for me on hearing your newer version. I thought you did a good job on For No One when you posted it originally, but this newer video sounds, all around, much nicer. You also look a lot more relaxed in front of the camera.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 am

Nice idea, Chris. Above is a link to my first video. By the way, what was your first song upload?
It was either The Story in Your Eyes or Tuesday Afternoon by the Moodies.....

dekotaj

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 am

Darn D.I'm just not sure.I like the higher register guitar one.Really had a great sound to it.The notes really rang out capo at 6th.But then I like the lower also.Nice warm sound to it.Vocals,Both were good.So I enjoyed them both.But I go with Suzi,you or more relaxed on this one.BRAVO on the both of them.

I don't remember my first song.Lost a lot of them when the site had a problem with you tube deleting a lot of songs.Then when TG changed over to something new.I've not been able to upload to the uploader.So I put them up and take them down.But I do remember the first song I Sang.Would that count???

Kev

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic