Busking Roy Orbison

BobR

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Dennis,

From your write up I didn't know what to expect. I thought you did super job on it, and you did a real nice cry at the end as well. I hope your throat survived :laugh:

Thanks for sharing
Bob

tombo1230

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Dennis,
to say Roy Orbison is a hard act to follow is an understatement. Elvis Presley once said of Roy, 'he is the greatest singer in the world'. So don't be too hard on yourself, no one can sing like him.

Good job playing and singing.

Tom N.

willem

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 am

Your ready for ''if you leave me now'' by Chicago..

Man that was an act,,till the end.

W.

abiliog

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 am

Dennis,
You did a wonderful job with your voice singing this song. I loved it, thanks.
Abilio

Craig

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:39 am

Dennis,
I hope you've had time to dry your eyes and get over your heart break... I thought it was great. Your playing was superb. Your singing was solid on an extremely difficult song. In my opinion you were way to harsh on yourself, it wasn't bad at all. I've always loved the Orbison/k.d. Lang duet version of this song. Thanks for sharing.

Craig

reiver

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:28 am

Dennis

Are you mad? Even Don MacLean stopped trying to hit those notes! (At least he did in the concert I saw)

Physical discomfort aside (yours, not mine) this was a really nice arrangement of a classic song and good to see a Roy Orbison busking thread started up. Thanks for sharing - and I do hope you and Wally get back together again soon.

Stuart

dennisg

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am

Honestly, I didn't think I was being that critical of myself ... I was just making the observation that I could hear my voice disintegrating near the end of the song. The fact that I had to lapse into falsetto is an indication that I had no confidence that I could hit the notes I was hitting just one take before -- the one that was going perfectly until I screwed up the guitar in the last line of the song. Man, that's frustrating!

Music Junky: Thanks, Jason. Both the guitar and the mic are plugged in to my Roland amp. I shot the video with my iPad which has a little Tascam mic plugged into the accessory port. That mic is just picking up through the air whatever comes out of the amp.

Tony: I appreciate it. Yeah, it is a tough song to sing, mostly because the range is so wide. I can't lower the key any more than I already did because there's a part of the song that's very low -- and I can't raise the key any higher for obvious reasons. So this is the one key I can sort of sing it in.

Michele: You're really sweet ... as always. I used the other Taylor because it tends to handle lowered tunings really well. Even still, I can hear that my guitar has gone slightly out of tune by the end of the song. I agree with you about Roy: great songs to listen to, tough songs to sing anywhere but in your shower.

Suzi: Thanks so much. As is usually the case, I didn't give the mixed picking/strumming a single thought. The song just starts out kind of whispery, and that feels kind like light picking to me. At the end, when I start screeching and the intensity builds, I just naturally start strumming. It's almost always an unconscious process. I should wake up and think about it once in awhile.

Chas: Funny you should mention my outfit. I was going to wear a porkpie hat and my daddy-o sunglasses, but I forgot to put them on.

Chris: Haha ... "magnificdent." Well, that's about as effusive as a comment can be, so thank you very, very much. This song was one big experiment: first, to see if I could even sing an Orbison song; and second, to see if I could go from stupid idea to finished video in three hours.

schm040: Very nice of you. Thanks.

Daryl: Ditto.

Pete: Actually, my fantasy included Elle Macpherson, a gumball machine, and a spatula. But I'll discuss that with my therapist.

Bob: The throat is still sore. No singing for a couple of days, much to Wally's delight. He often thinks I'm in some kind of distress when I sing, and he runs out of the room.

tombo: Thanks, Tom. Yeah, it's a humbling experience trying to do one of Roy's songs.

Willem: You trying to kill me with "If you leave me now"? I'd have to falsetto my way through the entire song. But I'll give it a listen.

Abilio: That's really nice of you to say. Thanks so much.

Craig: Thanks, pal. I really appreciate it. You know, I completely forgot about the Roy/k.d. version of the song. I'm going to have to hunt that one down.

Stuart: Okay, laddie ... I started the Roy Orbison thread -- the ball's in your court now. I'd love to see how you apply that silky Scottish baritone of yours to one of his songs.

Fred

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Dennis -

Great job vocally and playing...I agree with Music Junkie....we're always harder on ourselves when it comes to singing. I know I am. Keep up the good work!

Fred

suziko

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

:) :) :) :) Can't help to smile, smile and smile! I do understand what you're saying and I think it's really brave of you to share this experiment with us. And really, there is lots in there which is just great, and there is nothing in there that you're not capable of doing/singing/playing. And of course, I loved the finalshot, haha :laugh: , whatever you do, just keep 'crying' uh....laughing!!! :laugh: :P :kiss:

Ness

buddy

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Dennis, You are a crazy man ! I think you did this crazy good, what a song to take on vocally my man. I think this came out much better than you think it did. I loved the dramatic ending :P

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic