Busking Styx

Lavallee

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Here is a song that I always liked because of the variety of rhythm and a good mixture of acoustic and electric. Dennis DeYoung had such a great voice.

Toward the end of the song I goofed the words, which is why I am grinning ( I had the red and green show in my head). I mist a few notes at the very end but it was just one take as I try to do normally.

Marc

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Craig

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Marc,
Very nice! I liked the way you let the intro part build with a little mystery. Great job with the harmonics. Your fingerpicking was solid. Very enjoyable all the way around!

Craig

sbutler

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Bravo Marc. Man I love that song and you did a really nice job.

Maybe you should give us a complete lesson :)

Thanks Marc

AndyT

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Marc,

Another song I love! You really did a fine job with it. Just add Dennis DeYoung and you could cover it unplugged for them!

BobR

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Marc,

You've got lots of techniques going on there and they all sound really good.

Very nicely done.

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you Craig, actually the intro is what I like most from the song, I thought it was a little different.

Hi Scott, thanks for the comments. This classic certainly deserves a lesson. I think Neil would come up with the right chords in a lesson and make it sound perfect. I would really like to see that happening.

Hi Andy, thanks for the kind words. I actually ask Dennis , but he could not make it. ;)

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Marc, your shirt is blue, your guitar is red, and I am green (with envy) !

You stepped up the ladder a couple of rungs with this. I think that your recording setup is different also, less "flat" ?
It's important that you did the vocals, it holds the whole thing together.

Really enjoyable, I'll keep grinning as I play this again many times :)

Pierre

AndyT

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Marc,

Forgot to say, I really like the new shirts you are using. Much thinner material it seems.

suziko

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Geez, Marc, that was like a mini-concert!! This is my favorite video of yours, for sure (well.... Wild Thing is near the top too!)! I loved the varying rhythms and styles that you showed throughout this song, from the solitary chord strums in the intro to the driving barre chords in the finale. And your arpeggio fingerpicking in the main body of the song was great! Let's not forget, too, your vocals which added SO much to this song. I liked how you handled your minor vocal "gaffe" too. You always do a fun-to-watch video, that's for certain. I also noticed that the sound quality of your recording seemed particularly good. Maybe, as Pierre mentioned, you changed your recording setup? I loved how those moving bass notes in the fingerpicking section really popped.

I loved this! Great job!!

Suzi

Lavallee

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you Bob, you must have squeezed in when I did the other comment. Yes it is a good mixture of everything, it is fun to play

Thanks Pierre, the grinning almost turned into a burst of laughing. It took all my pocket change , as we say here, not to laugh. I still have not taken the time to get the right set up (with the microphone and to connect the guitar through a fast track that I have, and Daryl has offered to help). I just use my small amplifier as I normally do but add a bit of effect from it to simulate a 12 strings. It did not came out like this in the video but the sound turned out to be a little better than normally.

Thanks Andy, I buy these shirts at the runner store, they help for the scale as well.

Thank you Suzi, glad you like it. It is a bit of long song, but the main part without the intro seems not right. I was concerned to sing it because the original is so difficult. Then I thought , what the heck, it is just for fun. It took me a while to get the singing not to confuse me when I do the arpeggio (between the first and second chord mainly).

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic