The very best performances on TG

tovo

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 am

You know, this is why the forum tires me nowadays....Tony askes a 'simple' question, curious for the opinion of others and already his question gets overanalyzed, with but this, but that, consider this, consider that......pffffffffff.....
I feel you there Ness...your comment just gives me a chance to express a point, so thanks! :)

Guys, my friend Michele made a comment a while back that really sticks in my mind. She said that if the forum isn't what you want to see, then post the sort of threads you DO want to see. That's all am trying to do. Sometimes, I get it wrong and it turns into a really bad scene and for those occasions, I'm genuinely sorry. I don't think this one is there yet, and my intent is very simply to bring back some great videos on what is the 3rd anniversary of the site. That's all.

I DO understand that it's very hard to pick just one video and if you can't then do what Daryl did. There are no RULES. But if you had to pick one to put on say, a 12 song album which would it be?

Perhaps later I will ask for votes. I think we have the technical ability among us to actually produce something if there were interest.

I'm just trying to "Man up" myself and keep life in the forum. Interpret and answer my questions any way you want.

daryl

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 am

Gotta add this one.
Why? Izzy sung and played it with such sweet emotion:

suziko

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:20 am

I love the idea of being able to reminisce about some of the videos that, over the past 3 years, have meant something to each of us on a personal level. I usually try to stick to JUST one whenever people ask things like, "Name your all-time favorite song" but in this case, I think I have to follow Daryl's lead and name my top 5. It's even hard to limit it to that because there have been SO many videos that I've loved. In fact, I started writing this post about an hour ago and am finally about to finish it up. Some of that time was taken up with trying to actually FIND all these videos on the site or on YT. :) Then, of course, I had to relisten to them all to make sure they were as good as I'd rememberd (they were). But a lot of it was taken up with my internal debate over which videos to choose. Because, in my opinion, we've had a wealth of great videos here on TG. So my apologies to all the videos that I didn't choose and I do hope that I haven't unintentionally hurt anyone's feelings.

Technical prowess in a video is not actually the first thing that grabs me when I watch a video. I think the playing and singing in all of the videos I picked are very good, but the reason I picked them is because they all moved me in some way on an emotional level.

Ok, all that said, here we go (in no particular order):

1. Ness and Marc- Comfortably Numb: I remember watching this video one evening with my earbuds in so that I wouldn't disturb my family members, and being absolutely blown away by it. Every bit of this is done so well- Marc's solid rhythm guitar, Ness's keyboard and vocals. It gives me chills listening to it again.

2. Jamie and Dennis- The Difficult Kind: Dennis's guitar playing, Jamie's vocals, beautiful harmonies on the chorus and the heart-rending lyrics combined to make a video that literally brought me to tears the first time I listened to it.

3. Pierre and George- Good Luck John: Pierre's fingerpicking and lovely vocals, George's rhythm guitar and harmony, an idyllic backdrop and a song that, despite being recent, has the feel of a classic folk song. What's not to like?

4. Michele- The Joker: A killer bassline, awesome vocals and all the attitude that you can get from my favorite Australian woman in the world. This song and Shel's sassy performance made me laugh and smile.

5. Stuart- Love Me Do: A bit of brogue, fantastic harmonica playing, solid vocals and rhythm guitar, plus a glimpse of a softer side of my favorite gruff Scotsman. This song was one of the highlights of the 3 or 4 Chord Song thread for me. Watching this video makes me remember why guitar playing can be so much fun.

Edit-

I forgot to add a thanks to those of you who have enjoyed any of my videos over the past 3 years. I think about all the different emotions you've all stirred in me over the past 3 years- amusement, joy, sadness, longing, inpiration- and it moves me to think that a video I made might have had some similar effect on one of you. Truly, that is the beauty and magic of music.

dennisg

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am

I thought it was going to be difficult to come up with one definitively superior video, but it turned out to be easy after I thought about it for, oh, three seconds. Here's what I originally said about the video when it was first posted:

I started playing that song a few months ago, and as part of the learning process I watched dozens of versions on YouTube. I have to say that yours is simply the most gorgeous, lush, fleshed-out, and heartfelt version of them all. And that includes Don McLean's. As I was watching you, I found myself riveted to your performance on two levels: the first is the one that's purely emotional, because from the very first note, I was just captivated by the beauty of your performance; and, at the same time, I found myself fascinated by the precise picking you were doing in the song -- you do so much more in your version than I do in mine, and if I choose to continue playing this song, I will no longer watch any other version but yours.

With my most profound respect to Craig's version of Classic Gas, Jay's version of Never Going Back Again, Al's version of She Talks to Angels, and several others that left a large footprint on my brain, Vanessa's version of Vincent had an effect on me like no other song on TG.

jimcjimc

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 pm

I will "man up" and pick one from the archives:

buddy

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Nice thread Tony. I have really enjoyed just about all the the vids put up, but here are just a few of my favorites.

willem

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks Buddy,,,really a nice song,,I almost forget I did that and its a long time a go that I play it again..

W.

ps I had a big :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: when i heard my cough.. :laugh: :laugh: B)

I have a grey memorie but this one I remember,,, :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

cosmicmechanic

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Way,way back, there was a TG "win a guitar" contest. The best TG promo musical video would be the winner.
reiver's entry had me falling off my chair :laugh: ... he is such a natural here !!! (lyrics below the video)

Lyrics : Totally Guitars (Ruined My Life)

Well I used to have a life
And a dog and a wife
I had a job and paid my rent
And other bills to some extent

But now my wife and dog are gone
They’re with her mother in Tucson
They left a month or so ago
I really miss my dog, you know

And now my friends have gone as well
So all I’ve got’s this tale to tell
‘Bout how it all went wrong for me
When I signed up with TG

They told me that I changed
Became obsessive and deranged
My life had fallen off the rails
Wore flowery shirts and grew my nails

When, I got Totally Guitars
Now I know that someday soon I’m gonna be a star
But ‘til that day comes along – I can sing some good old songs
Cos’ I’ve got Totally Guitars

Now, we don’t care who you are
Size of your house or make of car
Come and join us don’t be shy
But kiss you other life goodbye

If you’re a Brit or European
American or Antipodean
It doesn’t matter where you’ve been
They even let Canadians in

And if you do decide to stay
You’ll have to practise every day
And post your new collaboration
To universal admiration

But listen carefully to this warning
Soon you’ll be logging on each morning
And another week comes and goes
Without a shower or change of clothes
When, I got Totally Guitars
Now I know that someday soon I’m gonna be a star
But ‘til that day comes along – I can sing some good old songs
Cos’ I’ve got Totally Guitars

tovo

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Well getting people to troll back through the video archives and have another look at some great performances from accomplished performers among us , and see how far less experienced people have come was all part of my intent. So I feel good that is happening.

Thanks for playing.

michelew

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 pm

NO WAY! I was just in the process of putting up Stuart's competition entry. It cracks me up!

OK since we're getting creative with the brief here are a few more standouts for me (that haven't been mentioned already).

This one is beautiful and just shows Dennis' love for music and how proud he is of his talented niece. It was touching and so beautifully sung and played.

Awesome!

This made me cry, so full of feeling, beautiful.

Awesome for playing it on an acoustic.This made me go WOW! I'd love to hear it now if he's smoothed i out.

He makes EVERYTHING grooooovy!

His dry humor cracks me up...but his playing and sing often touches me so much it makes me sooooooo saaaaad... I couldn't find 'Mad World' or I'd put that up too.

He hides his face, but can't stay completely out of sight because his passion is unquenchable - his playing here is lovely and John's singing is angelic

There are more... but I'm out the door right now. I'll be back. I'm having trouble finding some...but I'll be back.

And Buddy....ahhhh thanks man but you must LOVE seeing people in pain 'Blackbird eh" It looks like im sitting in front of a firing squad.

I'll be back...

So many great videos in this thread.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic