The very best performances on TG

tovo

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Chris' idea for busking tunes was a brilliant one. We have had Collaborations and of course there are some breathtakingly good uploads for review. On the 3rd anniversary of TG I was looking back through some of my very favourite performances from all 3 categories.

We have often talked about a "TG Album". If there ever were one, I would close it with this simply brilliant performance. I guess it would need to be a double or even triple album because we have had so many cracking performances. Due to that very fact I have always avoided saying "this is my favourite" because in reality I have several. But I thought it was time to man up and pick one, if for no other reason than my thread won't work if I don't!

My absolute favourite because it had the strongest emotional affect on me was Al and Helen's version of the fence. Took me absolutely ages to find because I was mistakenly looking in the busking thread and of course it is a collaboration.

Here it is:

willem

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 am

ItS Vanessa with ''Vincent''..

edit: And many others....

michelew

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 am

This is an IMPOSSIBLE question. There are so many to choose from.

But, this is the first one that shot to mind. It's definitely one of my favourites.

Nessa's Vincent (and a squillion others of her's) and Al's are right up there too.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=520

In case you can't see the review videos.

BigBear

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 am

I don't want to be overly politically correct here (not my specialty anyway! lol!) but how could you possibly pick a best of? And then exclude some other great ones?

And there should be consideration given to progress too. Some people have come to TG as pretty accomplished guitarists to begin with. But others have shown remarkable improvement; you Tony, Suzi, Michele, Dan, Willem and many more have obviously committed enormous practice hours to getting better. So what might be an average video for someone could be exceptional for a newer player.

I say bravo to all the people who have committed to this wonderful, frustrating instrument and then had the guts to post their work. As you Aussies seem to love to say, "Good on all of ya'!!" :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:36 am

Its an impossible task for sure.... so maybe we're just selecting a song to go on the TG Album is the way to look at it. That way we can choose one for many different reasons... maybe just to balance out the selection... whatever.

One which really moved me was by Suzi....

BigBear wrote:
I don't want to be overly politically correct here (not my specialty anyway! lol!) but how could you possibly pick a best of? And then exclude some other great ones?

And there should be consideration given to progress too. Some people have come to TG as pretty accomplished guitarists to begin with. But others have shown remarkable improvement; you Tony, Suzi, Michele, Dan, Willem and many more have obviously committed enormous practice hours to getting better. So what might be an average video for someone could be exceptional for a newer player.

I say bravo to all the people who have committed to this wonderful, frustrating instrument and then had the guts to post their work. As you Aussies seem to love to say, "Good on all of ya'!!" :cheer:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/86- ... uziko.html

michelew

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 am

I have to agree with you Bear, which is why I almost didn't play and why I said it was an impossible question. I have a long list of favourites and they definitely include the others you've listed (yep Suzi's last one was awesome). Still... my choice was the first that sprung into my head and I know regardless of Vanessa's starting point that she also worked hard on it, using Neil's teaching and delivered one HELL of a performance.

I'd have to say that all of the regular posters have made enormous progress in the time I've been watching; thanks for the sweet comment about me by the way. If you put up a 'best progress' or 'best personal performance' question, then the responses will most likely be different no doubt.

So good point, but Tony asked the question and asked us to "man up" (deep gruff voice added for effect) in our response.

AcousticAl

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:02 am

Wów Willem and Shel, you're bóth sweeties!!!!! ;) :kiss: Actually, funny enough, both videos mean the most to me of all vids that I uploaded here at TG.

You know, this is why the forum tires me nowadays....Tony askes a 'simple' question, curious for the opinion of others and already his question gets overanalyzed, with but this, but that, consider this, consider that......pffffffffff.....

The very best performances of TG, it's such a relative thing and it's personal, and I take it that that is the point of the thread. It's fun to hear which video it will be for anyone. To Tony it was the collab of Al and Helen, for strong emotional reasons. (not sure about Willem and Shel's specific reasons, haha, other than that they might like me! :P )

So maybe by answering this 'impossible' question (Tony, you've done it again! ;) ) it would be really nice to also read specifically why, because there is often a whole bunch of reasons why a certain video touches you so much.

In any way, to me it's, yes yes among dozens of others (but we had to be man here, right?! :laugh: ), Suzi with Kathy's Song. Why? Because the particular song means something special to me, because she sang it sóoooo beautifully, because she really engaged with the audience (I almost wanted to point out Pearly Shells for that particular reason, I love it when someone does that!), and because she was lovely to watch in that 'pomegranate' dress! :P However, I've listened to it qúite a 'few' times, that tells me something. :)

Ness

RicksPick

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:02 am

Oh so many to chose from

But this is so good could be the opening track

RicksPick

willem

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 am

B) nesh16041972 wrote:
Wów Willem and Shel, you're bóth sweeties!!!!! ;) :kiss: Actually, funny enough, both videos mean the most to me of all vids that I uploaded here at TG.

You know, this is why the forum tires me nowadays....Tony askes a 'simple' question, curious for the opinion of others and already his question gets overanalyzed, with but this, but that, consider this, consider that......pffffffffff.....

The very best performances of TG, it's such a relative thing and it's personal, and I take it that that is the point of the thread. It's fun to hear which video it will be for anyone. To Tony it was the collab of Al and Helen, for strong emotional reasons. (not sure about Willem and Shel's specific reasons, haha, other than that they might like me! :P )
So maybe by answering this 'impossible' question (Tony, you've done it again! ;) ) it would be really nice to also read specifically why, because there is often a whole bunch of reasons why a certain video touches you so much.

In any way, to me it's, yes yes among dozens of others (but we had to be man here, right?! :laugh: ), Suzi with Kathy's Song. Why? Because the particular song means something special to me, because she sang it sóoooo beautifully, because she really engaged with the audience (I almost wanted to point out Pearly Shells for that particular reason, I love it when someone does that!), and because she was lovely to watch in that 'pomegranate' dress! :P However, I've listened to it qúite a 'few' times, that tells me something. :)

Ness
I can tell you why,,I remember from then,,I was so impressed in musical way,, I believe it was the first time that I used the word dynamic but not only that,,it was the whole performence...when I now would listen to the song then it is yours Vanessa.. :cheer: B)

daryl

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 am

"Man up and pick one". Impossible!
Here's a few of my favorites. But there are so many more that I could/should list.....

Can't always get what you want.
Why? 2 guitars, harmonies, lead licks, sharing lead vocals:

June Hymn.
Why? 2 guitars, different guitar voicings, 2 voices, just so damn clever:

If you could read my mind.
Why? 2 guitars, lead licks, just so well done:

The loner.
Why? Fantastic harmonies:

Love the one you're with.
Why? Energy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic