Collaboration of Getting Over You

familyman4

Fri May 11, 2012 5:09 pm

I thought I had stumbled onto an amateur site. It appears I am so worng about that! Beautiful song. I absolutely loved the guitar & the vocals!!!

In fact, I have explored the video's that have been posted by several people on this TG site and must say that it has been a real pleasure seeing the talent and musical skills on display. It's like your own little community that someone has cracked the window open so I can peek in.

It's good to keep the bar raised high...

Thanks for sharing....

Bart

Lavallee

Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. Have you described somewhere what is your procedure to do the mixing starting by the type of file you need to receiver audio and video and then what you do with them to get the mixing and with what type of equipment you are using? If you did could you get me the link to that. If you have not done it, I find that it would be very helpful.

Marc
Hi Marc, I haven't described anywhere in any kind of detail how I go about recording video and sound and mix/edit it. I think there isn't any real easy way to do that, but here is the basics anyway............

I record on Claires Panasonic Hd camera, at the same time I record sound via a mic' (sE Electronics SE2000 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone). into my DAW via a Guitar Rig box, which bi-passes the computers own sound card and preserves the quality. I usually convert the video to an mp4 or AVI file, useable by Sony Vegas editing software.

I build a video/audio edit in Sony Vegas HD software and any tracks that come from other video material are converted to wavs and exported into the DAW, which is a mixture of Cubase LE4 with Guitar Rig 4 Pro.

The next stage is to get the video looking the way I want it, mix the sound in the DAW and import it into the video edit and sync it up with the camera sound, which is then reduced to zero output level so that all I can now hear is the newly mixed sound. It's really important to sync the video using the camera sound faded up against the daw sound, as when it is in sync you can really hear it is correct. If you are out of sync at this stage by one or two frames you are going to notice it when you send the finished video to utube.

The process of mixing and editing is all about using a mixture of technical know how and imagination, a subject too subjective and vast to explain here or even at all maybe.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow for two weeks, but if you have anything specific you want to ask me about this when I get back I will be happy to try to answer it.

To sum up: Most cameras will give you a useable picture. If you want good sound you need a reasonably good mic' and a digital box to bring it in to your computer in real time, into your DAW. (Digital audio workstation). You need some editing software and some imagination and that's it. I Hope this explains a little at least. The whole idea of using a good mic, a digital audio box and DAW is to get the best sound quality you can.

There are loads of software and hardware makes that will do this job, this is just one way (my way) of achieving this outcome. Others may have a different idea altogether.

Regards,

Tom.
Thank you Tom, you are very generous to take the time to explain all this. I was wondering if I was missing anything. I have a M-Audio Fastback, a microphone and Reaper (which Daryl is helping me out with). I just need the video editing software. I will look in that Sony software you are using. How different is it from AVS?

Enjoy your vacation

Marc

tombo1230

Fri May 11, 2012 5:56 pm

[/quote]

Thank you Tom, you are very generous to take the time to explain all this. I was wondering if I was missing anything. I have a M-Audio Fastback, a microphone and Reaper (which Daryl is helping me out with). I just need the video editing software. I will look in that Sony software you are using. How different is it from AVS?

Enjoy your vacation

Marc[/quote]

Hi Marc,

AVS looks pretty good, just been reading about it online. The proof of a pudding is in the eating as they say, I have never used this software so can't say 100%.

You should download a trial version and see how you like it. Sony Vegas is ok, but not entirely user friendly and like most of these types of software have their limitations. Ideally for me, I think I would like to use Apples Final cut pro, that would probably be a good option for me, but unfortunately I don't have a Mac at present, maybe sometime later. I am always looking for something that is better to use.

Tom.

AcousticAl

Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 pm

familyman4 wrote:
I thought I had stumbled onto an amateur site. It appears I am so worng about that! Beautiful song. I absolutely loved the guitar & the vocals!!!

In fact, I have explored the video's that have been posted by several people on this TG site and must say that it has been a real pleasure seeing the talent and musical skills on display. It's like your own little community that someone has cracked the window open so I can peek in.

It's good to keep the bar raised high...

Thanks for sharing....

Bart
First- outstanding job Daryl & Claire. You two could sell albums I think (or CDs, or mp3s!)

I also thought the quote above from Bart shouldn't go unnoticed. It's is a great thing we have going here, and it's nice to be reminded of it every now and then.

Looking forward to what you bring to the TG table, Bart..

michelew

Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 pm

WOW!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get to listening to this now, definitely my lost.

This is so touching. Janis has some seriously sad songs and you've both captured the essence of this song with in your sparse, smooth, sensitive playing Daryl and Claire in your ... incredible vocals. Claire I think this is one of, the if not 'the', best things I've seen you do and it's breath-taking. You've got such a beautiful voice and really know how to treat a song to achieve a powerful delivery.

Daryl, it's great to see you and your...smiling face...ahhh you're looking a little blue, chilly perhaps. :) ;) :P Your accompaniment was lovely. I'm glad you're back and posting.

Thanks for sharing.

Shel

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Pretty, very touching ... since the original version video was also visible below the collaboration video in the post, I also tried playing them at the same time.
Easy enough to get them synchronized, and that implies a lot about Daryl and Claire's precision, let alone artistic talent.

VERY nice warble there, at 2min 50sec, Claire !

Pierre

jayswett

Mon May 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Incredible.

haoli25

Wed May 16, 2012 8:41 am

(as I climb up from the floor) That was amazing. That is pro quality all the way around. Daryl, your guitar playing was rock-solid and your timing was near perfect. Bravo, Sir.

Tom, all Dads are proud, but your chest must be absolutely busting!!! :) Your lovely little songbird has an amazing talent. The sky is the limit for this girl. I would like to be at the head of the line to get her autograph and buy her music.

Claire, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your vocal gift with the TG world.

Bill Image

daryl

Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 am

Thank you all for your VERY kind words. I'm very very please with the way this one came out - thank you thank you Claire!

thereshopeyet

Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic