Collaboration of Getting Over You

neverfoundthetime

Thu May 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Absolutely spellbinding.

Your clear, simple and accurate backing made a perfect stage for Claire to lay that heart searing performance down Daryl.

Another brilliant TG collab.

Lavallee

Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 pm

This is fantastic work guys. perfect playing , perfect signing. I also like the sound engineer work to give a bit of effect on Claire's voice to blend the high pitch notes Daryl was playing. Good work Tom

Marc

Music Junkie

Thu May 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Daryl:

I was wondering if Janis was ever going to make an appearance.... ;)

As always, your playing was spot on and very beautiful. I truly enjoy your posts Daryl.

Claire........ Damn lady..... Quite the lovely voice. I am so glad that Tom introduced you to our community.... B)

Great collaboration you two.

Jason

tovo

Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Really nice work. Enjoyed it a lot.

tombo1230

Fri May 11, 2012 2:15 am

Lavallee wrote:
This is fantastic work guys. perfect playing , perfect signing. I also like the sound engineer work to give a bit of effect on Claire's voice to blend the high pitch notes Daryl was playing. Good work Tom

Marc
Hi Marc,

Claire shot the video and recorded the sound into the DAW. All I really did was sync up the DAW sound to the video in prep for Daryl. The rest of the work including mixing is all Daryls. I got it easy on this one. :)

Tom N.

daryl

Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 am

Thank you all for checking out the video and commenting.

I still get shivers every time I hear Claire singing this song. She captured the emotion of this song perfectly.
And the changes/additions she made to the melody makes this version way better than the original vocals (IMHO).

Lavallee

Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 am

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. Have you described somewhere what is your procedure to do the mixing starting by the type of file you need to receiver audio and video and then what you do with them to get the mixing and with what type of equipment you are using? If you did could you get me the link to that. If you have not done it, I find that it would be very helpful.

Marc

dennisg

Fri May 11, 2012 8:46 am

Man, Daryl, your playing (as always) is just so precise and beautiful. If someone ever looks up "guitar playing" on wikipedia, this is one of the videos that ought to be there to demonstrate how it's done.

lueders

Fri May 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Yeah, that was SPECTACULAR Daryl & Claire :) :) :) :) :)

Daryl, I know how much you like Janis (the other Janis, as I like to call her) Ian. (And, I am sure this truly was quite a thrill for you to have Claire on board for this and do such an amazing job!! Your playing was brilliant (which is so often the case)...Completely tasteful and not so much as a single minute misstep in it. Very, very well done, Sir!

This was definitely a performance to be proud of!!! I very, very much enjoyed it!

tombo1230

Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. Have you described somewhere what is your procedure to do the mixing starting by the type of file you need to receiver audio and video and then what you do with them to get the mixing and with what type of equipment you are using? If you did could you get me the link to that. If you have not done it, I find that it would be very helpful.

Marc
Hi Marc, I haven't described anywhere in any kind of detail how I go about recording video and sound and mix/edit it. I think there isn't any real easy way to do that, but here is the basics anyway............

I record on Claires Panasonic Hd camera, at the same time I record sound via a mic' (sE Electronics SE2000 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone). into my DAW via a Guitar Rig box, which bi-passes the computers own sound card and preserves the quality. I usually convert the video to an mp4 or AVI file, useable by Sony Vegas editing software.

I build a video/audio edit in Sony Vegas HD software and any tracks that come from other video material are converted to wavs and exported into the DAW, which is a mixture of Cubase LE4 with Guitar Rig 4 Pro.

The next stage is to get the video looking the way I want it, mix the sound in the DAW and import it into the video edit and sync it up with the camera sound, which is then reduced to zero output level so that all I can now hear is the newly mixed sound. It's really important to sync the video using the camera sound faded up against the daw sound, as when it is in sync you can really hear it is correct. If you are out of sync at this stage by one or two frames you are going to notice it when you send the finished video to utube.

The process of mixing and editing is all about using a mixture of technical know how and imagination, a subject too subjective and vast to explain here or even at all maybe.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow for two weeks, but if you have anything specific you want to ask me about this when I get back I will be happy to try to answer it.

To sum up: Most cameras will give you a useable picture. If you want good sound you need a reasonably good mic' and a digital box to bring it in to your computer in real time, into your DAW. (Digital audio workstation). You need some editing software and some imagination and that's it. I Hope this explains a little at least. The whole idea of using a good mic, a digital audio box and DAW is to get the best sound quality you can.

There are loads of software and hardware makes that will do this job, this is just one way (my way) of achieving this outcome. Others may have a different idea altogether.

Regards,

Tom.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic