Busking the Bee-Gees

dennisg

Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 pm

It's a gray, rainy day in Seattle, and I woke up this morning thinking about Robin Gibb.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Max

Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Beautiful tribute, beautifully sung & beautifully played with feeling.

Max

suziko

Mon May 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Such a beautiful song. The Bee Gees took a lot of flak in the "disco is dead" era, but you can't say they didn't write great songs.

Dennis, is that song in an open tuning? I'm assuming from all the barre chords and the completely open (unfretted) strumming, that it is. Can you tell a bit about that?

I'd love to see someone post a version of How Deep is Your Love.

Suzi

daryl

Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Very nice Dennis. Touching.

buddy

Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Dennis, this is really touching and so well done. I would like to see you doing Staying Alive next time and have you add some dance moves as well.

Bud

Craig

Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Nice job Dennis. Very well done. Very appropriate. I'm with Suzi, a little curious about the tuning.

Craig

dennisg

Mon May 21, 2012 6:55 pm

I will admit that the Bee-Gees have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. (For those of you who are non-native English speakers, a guilty pleasure is something you secretly like or admire, but don't discuss with other people out of fear of embarrassment.) And this is about as easy a campfire song as there is, which is how I was able to get the idea to post it, learn it, then upload it in a span of about 90 minutes. Nothing too exotic about the tuning: it's in open D ... D-A-D-F#-A-D. I think the Bee-Gees did it in open E, but then they're the Bee-Gees, and I'm not.

Max: Thanks and good to hear from you.

Suzi: I agree; very pretty song. I was a bigger fan of their music pre-Saturday Night Fever. What about you?

Daryl: Thanks much.

Buddy: I'm dancing right now and ... dang it, I forgot to turn the camera on.

Craig: Thanks, pal. There's a lot of merit to playing around with easier songs sometimes.

suziko

Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but I'll respond to your question. I do like the Bee Gee's pre-SNF stuff, but I admit I totally love the disco hits, too. Jive Talkin' and Stayin' Alive are great songs! In fact, I might need to download both for my iPod tonight! But then again, I'm a dancin'-lovin' fool.

Sue

tovo

Mon May 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Hey Den. I was hoping for "I started a joke" but what I got was just great. That tune suited your voice and style extremely well. Any time I've thrown up something at a whim I've regretted it, but you have the chops and confidence to pull it off big time. Very enjoyable.

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 21, 2012 8:36 pm

dennisg wrote:
I will admit that the Bee-Gees have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. (For those of you who are non-native English speakers, a guilty pleasure is something you secretly like or admire, but don't discuss with other people out of fear of embarrassment.)
Dennis, I was SO sure it would be THAT tune ...

Ladies and gentlemen, a warm welcome, please, for the DEE-Gees !

So very elegant and well-performed, especially on the spur of the moment. I'm quite sure that anyone watching this just HAD to sing along.

Funny to remember now that about pre-1975, the Bee-Gees were pretty much known only for songs
that were existential, melancholic, jump-off-the-bridge, complete downers. Oh, and a bit depressing, too.

Kind of like a romantic and beatlesque reflection of Neil Young.

Oh, how I loved to grovel in adolescent angst with these masterpieces of morosity.
I didn't care much for the gold medals on hairy chests that followed in later years.

Sure, there was some fun in the later stuff, too ... but (to me) nothing compared to visiting the pits with their earlier tunes.

Suzi mentioned being aware of the pre-disco Bee-Gees.
I wonder if many other TEE-Gee-ers got into that early period of the Bee-Gees ?

Thanks Dennis, charming !
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic