Busking Tommy Emmanuel

daryl

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 am

Tommy sure does make it look easy. :( But like you said, once you start trying to play one of his songs, it sure becomes a great challenge (in so many ways). You're on your way though with this one. And like Tommy says, "keep practicing". Looking forward to more of your TE uploads. BTW how are you doing with Angelina? Will we see an update soon?

Lavallee

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:13 am

daryl wrote:
In keeping with Michele's edict to "Busk 'Something'" I thought I'd put this one up. It's one I've been working on for years and I think I'm finally getting it.....

Sorry I missed your post Daryl, besides the complexity that you make it looks as if it was easy , I find that all your notes are always coming out so clear and rich. There is never a flubbed note even in the busy bar chords. Did you learn from a tab or by ear?

Marc

Lavallee

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Tom, this is no easy piece your tackling. Just remembering the notes seems like a dauntesque task. You seem to be quite on your way with it. Not sure if it is only me but the video was a bit choppy.

great work

Marc

BobR

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the video was a bit choppy as Marc said, but man that really sounded nice. Your practicing is really paying off.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

tacticaltal

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Tom,

That old camera makes us all nervous or distracted, I guess. I can tell though that you've been practicing this a lot, and can probably kill it when the cam's off. You did a nice job.

Terry

tacticaltal

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:30 pm

daryl wrote:
In keeping with Tony’s journey to playing the blues here’s my “work in progress” on playing Tommy…..

I’ve played this two-minute song at least ten million times now. No wait, that’s like 35 years non-stop. I must have lost count. Maybe I’ve only played it 5 million times. Anyway, this Tommy arrangement kills me (as is usual with any of his stuff). But here’s the best I can do (at this point) with this song that Tommy makes look SO simple. I know I’m playing it way too fast for my abilities but that’s what camera nerves do to me. I know I have to work on incorporating more of Tommy’s “rhythm” and “drummer” parts as well as work on all his little frills and embellishments…but it was all I could do to get the bass and melody (with an occasional rhythm bit) working together! As I’ve said before I’m really very undisciplined with my learning, practicing, and playing and just hack away at songs and just get “near enough” for my pleasure. But if you have any pointers, tips, ideas, and/or thoughts on how I could improve my playing they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Perhaps I’ll do a 2nd upload in a few months as my journey progresses and I get a little bit closer to Tommy’s incredible playing.

What a great classic, Daryl. I really enjoyed listening and watching you play that. I think you've played that before, haven't you :)

Terry

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

Without a love of my own

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Without a love of my own

Blue moon

Without a love of my own

MarkM

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

What a nice treat.

Tom wow your hands were moving so fast you froze the video :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously nice job. You don't pick the easy ones and I really appreciate that about your performances. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Hey you look real nice with that guitar. I'm sure it plays like a dream. You seem a bit more comfortable with this one compared to your larger guitar.

Daryl that was just excelletn. I really liked that 50s vibe you put on there with the reverb. Althogh it will take me 10 years to learn this one can you please send me the TAB? This was probably my favorite video of yours. Really well done. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

BobR

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am

Daryl,

Thanks for that great performance. It amazes me how well you play these difficult pieces.

Bob

daryl

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:13 am

Marc - Thank you so much for the kind words. But trust me there are plenty of flubs in there! I wish my audio sound was better. I'm working on getting a better sound quality. And I learned the song by TAB and watching lots of YouTube videos.

Terry - I've only played "Blue Moon" a few million times. ;-)

Mark - Here's a link to lots of Tommy's songs: http://tommyemmanuel.wordpress.com/gitar-tabok/

Bob - Thank you for your kind words.

dekotaj

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:11 pm

BRAVO!!!Tom and Daryl

Hey guys GREAT stuff just fantastic to watch.I could watch you two play all day so keep them coming.Really enjoyed it.Would make my playing a lot easier if I could steel you guys fingers,just for a while.

BRAVO guys!!!
Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic