Busking Tommy Emmanuel

daryl

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:37 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I actually really don't know much of TE, I'm the singing kind of type and for that not much into instrumentals. However, once in a while I do like to play some of it and I liked this one because of the moving bassline, which I find cool. So yeah, I'll give it a try, buttuh......it'll take some time.... :S ;)

daryl wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Yep got it, thanks!!

daryl wrote:
Good. Will you give "Blue Moon" a try? And upload it too? Do any other Tommy tunes strike your fancy?
Looking forward to your video! Also, check out Tommy's arrangement of "Just An Old Fashion Love Song".

Craig

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:57 am

Daryl,
Sorry I'm so late to this... I have to chime in with everyone else. Very impressive! The cool bass line and the slides are very well done. This is really enjoyable.

Craig

daryl

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Hey Craig, No problem being "late". Thanks for the kind words. I'm still working on this damn song. Lots of fun but frustrating too!

michelew

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 am

daryl wrote:
In keeping with Tony’s journey to playing the blues here’s my “work in progress” on playing Tommy…..

I’ve played this two-minute song at least ten million times now. No wait, that’s like 35 years non-stop. I must have lost count. Maybe I’ve only played it 5 million times. Anyway, this Tommy arrangement kills me (as is usual with any of his stuff). But here’s the best I can do (at this point) with this song that Tommy makes look SO simple. I know I’m playing it way too fast for my abilities but that’s what camera nerves do to me. I know I have to work on incorporating more of Tommy’s “rhythm” and “drummer” parts as well as work on all his little frills and embellishments…but it was all I could do to get the bass and melody (with an occasional rhythm bit) working together! As I’ve said before I’m really very undisciplined with my learning, practicing, and playing and just hack away at songs and just get “near enough” for my pleasure. But if you have any pointers, tips, ideas, and/or thoughts on how I could improve my playing they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Perhaps I’ll do a 2nd upload in a few months as my journey progresses and I get a little bit closer to Tommy’s incredible playing.

OMG Daryl!!! That was amazing. I have really done myself a disservice by not getting to this sooner.

I love the whole thing, the repeating bassline, the jazzy tones and melodies, the slides,... The way you've incorporated so many lines of music and seem to be doing it so effortlessly.

That is really amazing stuff

Thanks for uploading it and showing what's possible with dedication. Sorry to be so late to the party.

Shel

dennisg

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 am

Holy cow, Daryl ... I had no idea you posted this until just now! This was fantastic and I loved every second of your cool, jazzy, solid performance. You've captured Tommy's simultaneous walking bass line and melody-making prowess perfectly. I'm in awe of what you've accomplished.

daryl

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 am

Shel - Thank you! Some day I'll get it right......

Dennis - I tried to make a "Busking Tommy Emmanuel's Blue Moon" thread so my upload wouldn't get lost. But alas, the uploader failed me. :-( Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words.

daryl

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm

In keeping with Michele's edict to "Busk 'Something'" I thought I'd put this one up. It's one I've been working on for years and I think I'm finally getting it.....

dennisg

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

This is just spectacular, Daryl. There's just no other way to say it. As always, your tone and technique are flawless, and every second of this was a pleasure to listen to and to watch.

I'm not familiar with the tune -- it sounds more like Leo Kottke than Tommy Emmanuel.

daryl

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you! Here's Tommy doing it.....

michelew

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Daryl',

Your playing is hauntingly beautiful. WOW! I haven't watched Tommy's video yet, but I don't need to to know what a great player YOU are. My ears tell me that all by themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dennis, this is spectacular; its really something special.

Thanks for posting.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic