Busking Tommy Emmanuel

jimlac

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Great work Tom!!

Yeah I know, the camera, it sucks, but we can still have a pretty good idea of your playing here. Also a couple of weeks ain't very long, so I'm sure it'll develop some more (that's how it often works for me too).

Also very good to see you again Tom, thanks for sharing!! :)

Ness

tvarga wrote:
Countrywide

I've been really enjoying trying to learn some of Tommy Emmanual's songs.
They are difficult and technically challenging, but man do they sound great.

Anyway, I've been working on Countrywide for a few weeks now.
I can play it pretty well now, but of course not in front of the camera.
There's lots of flubs in this video, but I'm going to upload it anyway.

Catman

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Great work Tom (echoing Vanessa??)!

I've done some work on TE, so I know how difficult it is! I really like it when you get into the groove there.

I must put this one on my to-do list. Thanks Tom

buddy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Tom, I missed this one somehow. Wow, way to take on a tough song and really work it through. Keep up the great work on this as you are on the edge of really owning this song. I am always impressed by your playing !

Bud

dennisg

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Tom,

Anyone who tackles a Tommy E. song has my profound admiration. Your flubs were minimal and probably far less noticeable to us than to you. You should be immensely proud of what you've accomplished.

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 am

Tom,

That is very cool tune, and I admire you for trying to do anything Tommy Emmanuel, especially Angelina.

I've had this tab for over a year now (I think I got it from musicnotes.com), and I'm still working on the first couple or so of measures of the intro.

It's really a tough tune to get, especially for me, as I wasn't too experienced with stretching that many frets.

Good job on yours, and I'm sorry it took this long to reply.

Keep working on it.

Terry

tvarga wrote:
Angelina

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've been working on this piece on and off for a while now. As always, I can play it to myself a whole lot better than to the camera. :)

When I first saw Tommy play this song in a youtube video, I just fell in love with the melody. Of course, what he does with it is magical … and with only a pick no less.
There's no way I could do that so I tried to translate it all to a full finger picking style.
I also spent a lot of time trying to clean up the GP file that I found for this song and also annotated it the fingering that seemed to work best for me.

If you're interested in the gp file or the pdf of the tab, you can grab them here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByB6DP ... mdzSDNyNTQ
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByB6DP ... mFlS1lES3c

Of course, you really should watch how this song should be played! :)

Now, I'm looking forward to this this week's promised drip feed!

-Tom

tombo1230

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 am

Firstly Daryl, hi, I missed this somehow. Just superb!

Tom amazing! Each time you upload a video you just impress me more.

Huge Kudos to you both for tackling some hard but beautiful tunes. B)

Tom N.

tvarga

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Hey everyone. Just wanted to thank you all for all the nice kudos on my attempt at TE's Countrywide.
Sorry about the choppy video. I tried using the pc and (gasp) windows moviemaker this time.
Obviously, it's a POS. Some day I going to have to break down an get a video camera.
Eventually, I'll work on this song some more but I'm already on to another of Neil's lessons and this one is already getting rusty. :(
-Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic