Busking Tommy Emmanuel

tvarga

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Angelina

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've been working on this piece on and off for a while now. As always, I can play it to myself a whole lot better than to the camera. :)

When I first saw Tommy play this song in a youtube video, I just fell in love with the melody. Of course, what he does with it is magical … and with only a pick no less.
There's no way I could do that so I tried to translate it all to a full finger picking style.
I also spent a lot of time trying to clean up the GP file that I found for this song and also annotated it the fingering that seemed to work best for me.

If you're interested in the gp file or the pdf of the tab, you can grab them here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByB6DP ... mdzSDNyNTQ
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByB6DP ... mFlS1lES3c

Of course, you really should watch how this song should be played! :)

Now, I'm looking forward to this this week's promised drip feed!

-Tom

dennisg

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Tom,

There are about a hundred things you did in the song that totally impressed me. Congratulations for biting off, chewing up, and spitting out this great effort. I loved every second of it and could only watch it in awe.

beaker

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Tom V,
That was so outrageous. I think you should feel very happy to have built your skill level up to this! You are a full on TG superhero! Beaker.

Craig

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Tom,
Wow! I'm totally impressed! That was just great. I've always loved that song, just beautiful. You did it justice. Way to go!
Craig

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Good Lawd, Tom, you done busted your britches !

... meaning you have really done some growing.

Wonderful effort, just damn great progress !

C'mon, impress us some more ... please ?

Pierre

buddy

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Holy cow Tom,

That was really fantastic, I am really impressed with your playing on this tune. That is one tough tune to master !

Bud

tovo

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 am

Tom there has been no doubt in my mind for a fair while now that you are a good player heading rapidly to being a very accomplished one. I think that is because you constantly push yourself with very, very difficult pieces and the results show time and time again. I wish I could offer something other than support, but you know the only thing stopping this from being absolutely mind-blowing (opposed to just fantastic) is more time.

You have my absolute admiration.

dtaylor

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 am

Stunning job Tom, I can only imagine the amount of effort you put into that, learning something so intricate from a tab and a recording is an amazing achievement. You should be very proud.
Dean

willem

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:23 am

dennisg wrote:
Tom,

There are about a hundred things you did in the song that totally impressed me. Congratulations for biting off, chewing up, and spitting this great effort. I loved every second of it and could only watch it in awe.

Tom

Dennis I hope you don't mind I use your words the say to Tom how great it was''

It was really fun to listen first to you Tom and then Tom(my?) but when I listen to Tommy I really heard you in my memorie and recognise notes..

I wonder how impressed Daryl is 'cos I know he is fan from TOMMY too.

Willem

daryl

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 am

Great effort and not an easy song to play (even though Tommy makes it look SO easy). I've been working on this song for 4+ years and still don't have it down. The beauty of this song is that one can work on it for years and still not get tired of hearing it - as there are just so many beautiful sounds throughout the song. I too can't play Angelina with a pick, I don't know how Tommy does that. Anyway, you've got a great start on this song. And as you know, practice makes perfect. Keep at it. And thanks for the gpx and tab files. I'm curious to see how your tab differs from the one that I have.

One improvement for you....at 3:53 you attempt a harmonic on the 16th fret on the 2nd string (per your tab)....Tommy actually frets the 7th fret on the 2nd string and holds that note as he plays the next 3 harmonics (on the 7th fret of strings 4 6 and 5).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic