Dennis & Jamie do an open-mic performance (gulp!)

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Dennis, good job on holding back and leaving Jamie’s vocals out front. In this type of situation, a person might have the tendency to get a little excited or anxious and accidentally “compete” with the lead singer. Like others have said, your banter before and after the song added to the overall performance.

Jamie, any off notes that may have happened in the singing were most likely attributed to first time jitters. I have seen you sing in a less tense environment in your other videos and know that you can hit those notes, so I must attribute anything like that to nerves. That’s really minor stuff in my book. You should do a few more open mic performances and the jitters will go away. Timing was good and you didn’t freeze up in your first open mic. Bravo! The only other suggestion, and I think you already know this, is to wait a little longer before exiting the stage. Don’t let Dennis get all your applause.

You two are a good team and really need to do this some more. I’ll be interested in seeing your next turn at this. You might want to do two songs together. Try a very simple one first and then follow up with a little tougher one. That will give you time to relax and ease into the show.

Good work, both of you, and thanks for posting,

Hydroman52

tombo1230

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm

dennisg wrote:

Tom: I've never heard the expression "It takes bottle ..." Is that Scottish? Thanks.

Yes Dennis, translated it means real nerve or bravery or courage.

Tom N.

jayswett

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Well done, Denis. You looked comfortable and composed. Loved it.

Lavallee

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Jamie and Dennis, really enjoyed your performance it has been said many times but it takes a lot courage to get up there and facing everybody. I though the both of you looked calm and seemed to have fun. Nice playing and good singing. Dennis did you know what you were going to say at the intro or it was on the spirit of the moment?

Marc

BobR

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Dennis,

Nice to see you back up on the stage. I think you both did a real fine job.

Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your open mic experience. Hope to see more

bob

takhak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Takhak: Do you remember everyone's guitar goals or just mine? But you're absolutely right; I want to do a lot more open-mics -- maybe one per month. Good to hear from you and thanks for stopping by? By the way, does your screen name indicate that you're a Takamine player?

Yes, an eg140shc. You probably figured out the hack part too, but it's still fun. Really liked the Zombies song also.

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Great to see this, Dennis & Jamie.. and something to shoot for for H & I as well.

We've performed in front of her students at a music night- and it didn't go as well as we'd hoped.
Getting up there in front of a faceless crowd is so difficult, and you guys did a great job.

To my ear, you seemed to relax about a third of the way in and it showed in the performance.

Thanks for sharing.
(and ignoring the naysayer)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic