Dennis & Jamie do an open-mic performance (gulp!)

willem

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm

gtrhro69 wrote:
ok I'm all about positive reinforcement but is everybody on this site tone deaf? Whatever happened to constructive criticism?

WE sure like positive constructive criticism,,its a kinda rude the say we are tone deaf.. we all are fully open for listening to you..

Craig

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Dennis and Jaime,
Way to go! I admire and respect anyone who has the guts to get up on a stage for an open-mic, since I don't. I thought you two did a great job. I believe you when you say it gets easier. However, I think I will just live vicariously! Glad you shared this. Congratulations!

Craig

pbraun

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Great job to both of you, I still don't even dream of that (ok thats a lie), but still would never do it!
Enjoyed that alot!
Pete

tombo1230

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Well done Dennis and Jamie, it takes some bottle to go up in front of a live audience.

Tom N.

michelew

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Den and Jamie,

You are two courageous people, you have my awe and admiration big time. I can present in public, but singing and playing...and to be able to pull it off... WOW! that's something else again. It's real teeth clenching stuff.

I huge congrats to Jamie for breaking the open-mic barrier. That's awesome! Really awesome. I know the havoc that just sitting in front of a camera can play, so I'm guessing standing on the stage and singing amplifies that a million times. I assume that Jamie didn't feel it was her best performance (the one she knows she can do when she's relaxed) as she was keen to get off the stage, but I think she did herself proud. Jamie I though you put some great energy into this and engaged the audience well. You also seemed to relax a bit as you got into the song, which was great. Den I'm sure you were DAMN proud of her as you should be. I think she did great. I dare say the next time will be a little easier if you can coax you up again.

Den you're living proof that it gets easier the more you do it. You looked so cool and professional and like you've done it a million times. Your intro talk and outro were amusing, yes very engaging and you played and sang with ease it seemed. Your accompaniment and backup vocals were a nice fit to Jamie's lead. Though I would have liked to have heard you a little more, they were just a little soft I thought, but maybe I just need to listen again, which I will do when I get home from work. You were a different man from the one we saw in your first open-mic. You're confidence was very noticeable.

Thanks for showing us how to face our fears and achieve our goals. You and Jamie are great role models for anyone that has a desire to perform in public.

You're both AWESOME!

love

Shel

buddy

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Dennis and Jamie, This is really special, thanks for sharing it with us !

suziko

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Dennis and Jamie,

I am so proud of you both for doing this!! It takes serious guts to put yourself out there- something a lot of people would never even dream of doing. I could really tell from the video that the audience was very supportive and encouraging. That must have made it so much easier for the both of you. I loved your pre-song banter, Dennis. It definitely gave me a few chuckles- as it did the audience, too. And I thought Jamie did a great job, too, really putting a ton of emotion and power into the song (not that I'm surprised by that, as Jamie always sings with emotion). I agree with Shel that Jamie seemed to really relax into the song as it progressed. I think her performance got better and better as it went on.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Suzi

lueders

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Dennis & Jamie,

You definitely have my respect! :) :)
That looked like a lot of fun and I think you both did great!
I have seen plenty of musical acts over the years; in many different venues.The venues themselves have ranged from dirt floor dive bars in the middle of nowhere to wanna-be arty-farty corporate coffee shops. And I would have to say the performance that two of you gave was better than many, many, many of the acts that got paid!! I thought the performance was quite solid. And I would have felt like I got my money's worth if I had paid a cover at the door.

I thought your banter was appropriate,& light-hearted but yet, professional.
I thought Jamie's vocals were great, especially when you consider all the first time jitters she undoubtedly had to overcome. ( That has to be a major hurdle for singers to come in cold like that...but what do I know I am tone deaf like everybody else on this site. Lol!)

She got stronger as the performance went on. I am anxious to see future installments. (as comfortability with a live audience increases...as it did for Dennis in such a short time.)

Hats off to both of u!!!
( I know u are...but you should be quite proud of the Mrs. Dennis)

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Dennis, Jamie,

I've watched this performance a half dozen times so far and it really keeps growing on me with every viewing.

Jamie's vocals are all the more haunting when you keep in mind how YouTube strips the sound quality from videos.
A bit of shyness maybe at first, and then ... why do I think of Grace Slick ? (that's meant as a compliment !)

The lucky guitarist backing up Jamie's vocals did a great job all around.

This time, he probably managed to stay on budget by softening up the audience with a bit of friendly banter instead of having to spike everybody's beverages beforehand as he used to do. B)

It would have been nice to hear him a bit more on the harmonies, but he seemed to be aiming for an understated presence in this number.

By the way, are you aware that there are over 50 different sphincters in the human body ? They are classified as anatomical or functional, and voluntary or involuntary. I would argue that there should be a "relatively voluntary" category.

Dennis, I suppose that by "SPF", you are probably referring to one of the more important anatomical "relatively voluntary" sphincters.
I personally have never cast you as such, and I'm sure the thought would never even cross the mind of anybody watching this very, very enviable showing.

Oh yeah ... a couple with real chutzpah ! Loved it !

Sincere congratulations to both of you !

Pierre

haoli25

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:47 am

BRAVO, to both of you.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic