Dennis does open-mic night with The Zombies

dennisg

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Here's what I did after Jamie bolted from the stage: song number 2 was She's Not There by The Zombies. After my previous open-mic experience where I had a brain lock during Autumn Leaves, I decided to choose two pretty easy songs, hence She's Not There.

The sound is pretty bad in this recording. First, my mic is too low during the initial quiet passage. Then the woman sitting near the camera was belting out a harmony. Finally, the sound man cranked up my guitar and caused feedback. It is what it is. But I had a lot of fun while I was doing it and the audience was rocking' out with me.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Dennis that was really well performed. Great control on the strumming. You nailed the licks. And the singing was strong. You got a "whoop" and a "wow" from the audience. That's great!

michelew

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm

WOW!!! X 1,000,000,000 ... Oh just keep adding zeros.

I'm at a lose for words except to say that I REALLY blown away and you've put a big smile on my face on a morning when I feeling sort of miserable.

Thank you!!!

You sure do ROCK!

Love

Shel

tombo1230

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 pm

This third appearance in open mic' means your now a regular. your practically in showbiz :) Well done!

I haven't heard that song in a very long time, it's an old favourite. Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed your performance and hearing it again. As Daryl has commented, you really nailed the strumming.

Tom N.

jayswett

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Love this one, too, but I must say that having your wife on stage with you makes for a much more compelling video (that was meant to be a compliment to your wife rather than an insult to you). The audience really seemed engaged, which was nice to see for us as viewers, and I'm sure even nicer for you as the performer. I hope you continue to do more open mics.

suziko

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 pm

That was great, Dennis!! Again, I really enjoyed your pre-song banter with the audience. It's amazing how comfortable you looked in these videos, when I compare them with your first open mic. Really, like day and night. I also thought you did a great job on this song. Excellent strumming throughout and nice vocals. Your audience was clearly into it too, if the harmonies and the "wow!" I heard at the end are any indication!

You must be proud of yourself. Great job on both songs!

Suzi

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:13 pm

dennisg wrote:
The sound is pretty bad in this recording. First, my mic is too low during the initial quiet passage. Then the woman sitting near the camera was belting out a harmony. Finally, the sound man cranked up my guitar and caused feedback.
Honestly, I think you are being too picky. By the time this got to the Midwest and through my speakers, I didn't notice the low mic volume and I didn't hear any feedback. And the lady singing out the harmony sounded pretty good over my rig. Her mix was surprisingly well balanced here, and, actually, that's quite a compliment to get the audience motivated enough to sing along. Was it overpowering while you we performing on stage? Am I missing something. I tend to like that kind of spontaneity when it's done tastefully.

Maybe my sound setup here sucks, but I would say that it was a performance well done even with the hardships that you listed and an annoying (?) audience member.

Thanks for the posting,
Hydroman52

BigBear

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Great song! Another great performance. You are definately on a roll!! Keep 'em coming. I'm living vicariously through your performances!!

:cheer:

tovo

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Hey Den that's a great job and I really enjoyed it. You have a real easy way of engaging people and getting them rooting for you right away. If I could do that down here I would be rather happy, although likely to be in trouble with my wife. (Shel will get it if nobody else does)

Anyway, the only "regret" I have with your great performance is that I know that at full strength your voice is more impressive. You mentioned you were just getting over a cold I think? The audience were clearly impressed and into it which is what matters, but shame they couldn't hear the true quality of your voice. Next time perhaps. The thing is you performed just great with what you had on the night. If only because of that jerk, I feel the need to emphasize that I thought it was just great as it was, I just know that with 100% health you would have knocked them deader than dead.

Lavallee

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Dennis, you do this song so well, very entertaining. I am glad you decided to take it to the open mic. I noticed the crowd was as excited as I was when heard for the first time in your video. Great signing and especially that great rhythm where where you pound the strings is really upbeat.

Good show

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic