Collaboration of Slip Slidin' Away

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 am

Collaboration of MarkM and AcousticAl Slip Slidin' Away: As you know, Mark uploaded his great version of "Slip Slidin' Away" to the Student Review Channel, and had mentioned in passing that he thought it might be in my wheelhouse, so to speak. That got me thinking, (dangerous at times), that it's been a long time since I'd done a collaboration.. especially a PHANTOM collaboration! So I grabbed Mark's original upload and sang & played along.

I took a run at some of Garfunkel's harmonies- DAUNTING to say the least! Paul Simon is more my range but I just had some fun with it.

It also reminded me about the great time we had playing together in person when we all met up in New York last year.

There's an unwanted THIRD voice on there you'll hear as well. Stupid Mohawk!!

Lastly- there's a basic explanation of how I did it at the end of the video.

Anyhew- here's what I came up with (with Mark's permission:) Let us know what you think!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:08 am

Yes great,,first i wish you a happy Canada day long weekend..I really enjoyed this and must say that the harmonies adds a lot,,thanks for your explane at the end..

Thanks to Mohawk too :laugh: :laugh: so funny and just great..better then a ringin phone,,(happens to me a lot while recording and most when I almost did it)..

Willem..

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks for your comments Willem.
(but don't encourage Mohawk!!)
:angry:

BobR

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 am

Al / Mark

Cool to see you both playing together and very Nice job all around. Thanks Al for the "how to" at the end.

Have a nice Canada Day weekend

Bob

dennisg

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:45 am

That was really enjoyable, Al. I think you and Schmohawk pretty much nailed all the harmonies, and you blended the voices perfectly. Mark is always steady as a metronome, so he makes it easier to keep up with his tempo.

Hydroman52

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

Hey Al,

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of the "cans" over "buds" method. I have learned something new, and it made my day. You are a smart one. Maybe all that Molson Canadian beer for Canada Day helps with the creativity to figure these things out?

The video was pretty cool, too. I have been very impressed with how much Mark's singing has improved over time. I recalled that there were only a handful of notes that were a little off in his original solo version that you used here. One thing that I noticed in this video is that they aren't as evident once you've added your harmonies and other playing and, for the most part, almost go away entirely. I actually had to go back and listen to his original version to see if I was hearing correctly. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting . . . .both of you,

Hydroman52

Craig

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am

Mark and Al,
Really great together. It always amazes me how much another voice (and squawk) adds to an already good video. I also appreciate when TGers include a "how to" for those of us stuck in the stone age! Well done!

Craig

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:50 am

Bob- Another of the Canadian New Englanders! Thanks for checking it out.

Dennis- That's a good name for him. I'm being screeched at as I type this.
And yes, Mark's strumming is always bang on.

Hydro- I wouldn't have had to do the 'double headphone' trick if I took some time and figured out how to route everything through my mixer. Couldn't be bothered though.
Yes, there weren't many missed notes on Mark's end. I think I added a few with the harmonies though! :blink:

Craig- Glad you liked the vid and the how-to at the end.

daryl

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Another phantom collaborator. Excellent! Great collaboration all around. The only thing I would suggest is to reposition your PIP so we can see Mark's fretting hand (it's almost as bad as watching a headless player ;) )

MarkM

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:05 pm

1st peek in TG land for a while for me as I've been moving. Seems like for ever. I'm seeing boxes in my sleep now. Finally in the house that we will NEVER move from if I have my way. Anyway Al reached out to me yesterday and told me to check out this video. Wow!! I was amazed at how well he made a so so performance into something really enjoyable. As I said when I posted it, I had always thought that this would be a great song for Al. I couldn't just email him back to thank him so I gave him a call and had a great conversation. Not only is Al amazing at his audio/video skills but the guy can flat out sing a tune. Great job Al!!!! I'm really happy you found the time to do this. I hope you have a great holiday weekend.

Hopefully I'll be back on this site a bit more as the boxes begin to be emptied and stuff put in its proper place. The guitars were the first things that found a home and luckily I haven't neglected them as I have this site. Hopefully with a little more practice I'll have a few surprises to show in the coming weeks.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic