Busking Guess Who

Lavallee

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Daryl, I cannot thank you enough for all the help you have given me on this project, and it is still coming in. I will certainly work on these adjustments. I have decided on a new project so this will be useful.

Thanks Willem, double comments, cool

Hi Michele, thanks for your comments, the acoustic track was a little easier (even if I added a bar by not counting, again), the for the sound management, it seems to sound a little better on my end, but after it is downloaded there is no turning back. I have receive a lot of tips to work on for the next project. I hope I have not offended anybody with this song be cause I like all the american women :woohoo:

Chris, thanks for your help with your tips on this project. It did not came out as good as I was hoping, but I have learned a lot and improved at least on the solo side and certainly on the tech side

Hi Dave, thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you noticed that strumming detail. The rhythm was a challenge to keep this double strum down stroke. I tried it regular strumming when playing along with the original track at first, but it did not take long to realize that the attack was too round with the up and down strumming. I noticed in one of their original video that the rhythm guy was hitting it downstroke, which is giving a much sharper attack. Also when moving the bar chords, I feel that the pressure must be totally release to avoid sliding sound, which you eventually start doing toward the end , as you get a little tired of repeating the same thing all along. Here is a video showing wheat I mean, notice the rhythm guy on the left, there are a few closeup on this right hand. The other rhythm (lower right in my video) part was done by Randy Bachman and he was picking the note (between the solos) giving the melody during the strumming adding the round effect of the up and down strumming but keeping the sharp attack from the other rhythm guy.

Looking forward to meet with you

Thank you Bart for taking the time to comment, it was certainly a lot of fun.

Dennis, thank you for your comments, the accent will always make sure that no one will accuse me of copying a song.

Thanks Rick, I did not sing on the acoustic part because I was hoping it would make it eligible for a review but also because I do not sing very well and it would have been not so good for the guitar. I have pedal (ME-70 from Boss) to get the distortion, but after spending almost 2 weeks playing with the settings, that is the best I could get, but it was certainly not as mean as the original guitar distortion. It sounded ok in the headphone but after recording, it was almost like a flute . I have receive some tips and hopefully it will sound better next time. I will certainly apply what you are suggesting on the next project.

Thank you all

Marc

TGNeil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 am

Marc, I very much enjoyed it all around, such a fantastic job!! Again, I thought you were véry cool! B) ;)

One suggestion that I'd like to add is when you play lead, solos etc., which I think you did great, try to incorperate a vibrato. That would be something to spice it up a little more. :) :) (Funny enough I noticed that you mentioned 'vibrato' in my uke-upload, so maybe you are aware of it already.)

Loved it Marc, truly great to watch! :cheer:

Ness

pbraun

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 am

Wow very cool Marc! I liked all of it-sure get me going this morning! What kind of electric is that?
Pete

Lavallee

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 am

Hi Ness , thanks for checking it out. I definitely need to work on the technique , as I was trying to do some vibrato :( . The PIP of the solo is a little small so it is hard to notice, but as you noted, the vibrato effect was not coming out. The most challenging ones are the vibratos on the bends, which I was trying but the effect was so weak. When I was trying to put more vibrato in the bend, I would move the bend up and down too much and it would become out of tune. I was also trying to move front to back as well with no better success. Something to work on certainly.

Thank you Pete, the electric is an Epiphone , Les Paul Standard.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:08 am

I sent the link to my sis Marc, she loved it!

lueders

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 am

Look out American Woman, this French Canadian...means business!!! B)

Marc, you are so cool!! You put SO much into this...and pulled it off. All the various sections...I loved it!!!!!!!!!
And your singing was the icing on the cake! It was so ridiculously fun, cool, and well done!!

I really like the acoustic as well...sounded quite accurate. The main elec. rhythm track was nailed to the wall solid.
The lead was well played and about 92percent there I think. I was impressed with your mixing abilities as well....

Excellent, excellent, post Marc!!

Your work ethic is phenomenal!

Cori

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Marc, it's great to see the "Lavallee Brothers" collaborating at last!

But I wonder if they finally managed to put their past disagreements aside before working on this project,
since we don't really get to see them together in the room at the same time.

I especially enjoyed the way the rhythm player mercilessly attacked his guitar throughout the tune.
He has very good precision and a really consistent beat.
I guess he was chosen to play that part because he is the meanest-looking of the Lavallee brothers.

The technical aspect of this video is great of course, far beyond what I could comment on usefully here,
so my only suggestion is ... maybe have them all wear sunglasses ? :side:

A major achievement, Marc !

Pierre

michelew

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Pierre you crack me up!!!!! :woohoo: I nearly sprayed my tea across the room. :laugh:

Thanks for the laugh.

Shel

willem

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:47 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Marc, it's great to see the "Lavallee Brothers" collaborating at last!

But I wonder if they finally managed to put their past disagreements aside before working on this project,
since we don't really get to see them together in the room at the same time.

I especially enjoyed the way the rhythm player mercilessly attacked his guitar throughout the tune.
He has very good precision and a really consistent beat.
I guess he was chosen to play that part because he is the meanest-looking of the Lavallee brothers.

The technical aspect of this video is great of course, far beyond what I could comment on usefully here,
so my only suggestion is ... maybe have them all wear sunglasses ? :side:

A major achievement, Marc !

Pierre

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) :laugh: :laugh: ;)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:54 am

... maybe have them all wear sunglasses ?
...yeah, get some sunglasses Marc! :laugh:

PS: Been missing you Pierre... :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic