Busking Guess Who

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:33 am

Just loved that Marc loved you kept the accent going that worked for me anyway to make it your song. OK issue about volumes etc but heck that's being picky given the nature if this site. I loved the outcome of your efforts here absolutely marvelous mate!

Lavallee

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:28 am

Hi Cori, I was doing the accent on purpose :) I tried to sing louder for even more fun but, it must had been the microphone as, it was worse. The solo is what I am proud of but also the most unhappy with. The sound did not came anywhere close as what I was hearing in the headphone coming out of the effect pedal, but the recording tempered it , because I did not know much on the recording techniques, but I got a lot of tips now that I will use.. So I need to work this out. On the other hand , it was the first real solo (besides wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald I did with Chris , but it was more an accompaniment) that I learned. It sure is not natural for me and do not have a lot of feel for it, but I learn a lot in the process so hopefully the next project will be better.

Hi Pierre, good to hear you are back in the city. Your comment was very funny, I am glad you mentioned my brothers. We do not talk much to each others in public, as it would make people suspicious. . The sunglasses is a real good idea (but no beard, do not want to be too ZZToppieesk).

Michele, I am glad it was only tea

Willem, a third time checking in :)

Chris, are there any stylish Swiss sunglasses (with holes in the middle of the glass maybe) ?

Thanks Chas for your comments, I am sure you meant the accent on the guitar. I agree about the sound aspect that need to be improved. That is what is great about a first time as there is always room for a second time, and hopefully learn from the first trial. It is certainly a good activity (multitracking) as you learn about the technical side, but it forces you to play more accurately, as you must do when you play music with others.

Thanks

Marc

tovo

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 am

Just back from Wellington in New Zealand Marc...no internet there.

Lavallee brothers kick ass!

abiliog

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Mark,
Great intro and what a steady and powerful sound from the rhythmn guitar.
Never heard about the other musicians (Lavalle Brothers?) but they could be famous in the near future. Just leave them out of the closet and throw away the key.
Thanks for sharing Mark, great as usual.
Abilio

Lavallee

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Tony, sorry for the late reply, glad to you are back home (with access to the internet), thanks for the comment

Abilio, thanks for the comment, the closet is pretty small and there is only room for one, so we alternate.

Marc

haoli25

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Those Lavallee Brothers ROCK!!!!! That was a very cool video, Marc. I really enjoyed watching it.

Bill

Lavallee

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:23 pm

HI Bill, sorry I missed your post, thanks fro your comments from the whole family

Marc

snipe

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Marc, I really liked your production here. What specifacilly is your electric guitar you are playing? Epiphone? Gibson? I wish i Knew all the details of how to do this kind of recording as I wish i could make some myself.

Lavallee

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks Mike, this production thing is really addictive, this is all I am thinking about. First because of the musical aspect of it since you try to have a decent coverage as you would do for a regular video but secondly if you can put more than one part, you have to look at other aspect like timing or intensity as you would do if you would play with somebody else. Plus the technical part is a new discovery. I had some help in the past from Al per example who came out of his way to help with technical tips but I was not ready.

The electric guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I tried an actual Gibson Les Paul over the weekend and I am not good enough to exploit the differences. Amplifier has a lot to do as well. So I think I will be good with this one for a while

There is a multitude of possibilities to do this process. What I am using is based on buying something on the spirit of the moment or by asking a question about a specific product and go with it. So it is certainly not optimized.

To connect the guitar ( bass (same connection as for the guitar) and voice as well with the microphone) to the computer I use M-Audio Fast track ($350)which is a hardware interface. The one I have has 4 channels, but there is one with 2 ($250)that work just fine (since you can do only one instrument at the time). There are probably lower cost equipment available but I have not look anywhere else.

To do the sound mixing , I use Reaper which you can download for free to try. Eventually you can buy ($60). Then you need the camera which you already have. You also need a mixing video software , I use AVS Editing ($60). The procedure is to make a separate recording of the guitar and the video. The guitar is connected to the PC and you record with the camera while you play. you then add the other sound track by doing the same exercise. So you end up with one sound track with all the parts and one video for each instrument and voice that are separated from each other. You then save the track as project that the Video editing can read (Reaper has a conversion menu for that) .Open AVS and import the sound track. Then import the main video (that you set to mute to use only the movie). Once done, you have to match the video track with the sound track (you can move the video track for the matching). You then import the other video tracks one by one and do the same exercise . These will be the smaller Picture in Picture (PIP) frames that you see in the video (you can adjust the size and position for each of them) . The whole thing when save in AVI was surprisingly small (60 MB) as all the video tracks were over 120MB each (compression and smaller frame I guess are the reasons).

I also have an effect pedal (Boss ME-70) ($350) but there is one with less memories that can do quite a lot as well (Boss ME-25) ($225). That was for the distortion of the guitar on the solo. I still have to work on this as the sound did not came out as I was hoping , but like everything else, there is a learning curve

There are many highly knowledgeable TGers that will help if you have questions ( I am already preparing questions for the next one). People like Daryl, Tom, Chris and Al to name a few.

Thanks for checking it out.

Marc

snipe

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 am

Marc thanks for the info.. I have some homework to do now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic