Busking Guess Who

Lavallee

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 am

This the same video I have put in the Student review.

I thought it should be added to the Guess Who busking thread as well

This is American woman by the Guess Who that I have been wanting to do for a while in a multitrack format. It was a first for a few things, first time mufti track (thanks to Darryl for the big help and the drum track, to Chris and MarkM, for their tips) and first time to be connected directly to the PC (instead of an amplifier ), first time for a complete solo (as you will see it is far from perfect, accurate beds are challenging), first time playing bass (pretty cool to get that deep sound). One deception, the pedal I have did not bring the mean sound of the solo I was hoping for.

The exercise, besides the muti track experience, was to work on timing and get some feel for a solo.So all the tracks are mine except the drum track.

There is no signing in the intro, on purpose for the review, if it happens.

Any comments on how to improve will be appreciated: recording , effects, playing, etc..

I will never have a nice voice, but it is fun to get it out of the chest.

The french accent is on purpose :)

Thanks
Marc

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 am

Congratulations Marc!

The opening acoustic stuff was perfect. And the electric multitrack.....WOW! PIPs were well placed. The solo? FANTASTIC! I was just going to email you to see how you were coming along...I guess I know now. Your 1st multitrack is AMAZING!

I have just a couple of suggestions for the mix: lower the lead level just a tad and raise the bass and drum levels a bit (I really couldn't hear the drums at all), and lastly, try this trick....

- duplicate your vocal track (select your vocal track & do a "Track->Duplicate tracks")
- select one of your 2 vocal tracks & do an "Edit->Nudge/Set items..." specifying 33 milliseconds and hit the "Nudge right" button
- then pan 1 vocal track hard left and the other hard right
- you might want to experiment with the millisecond value and the panning levels.

willem

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 am

daryl wrote:
Congratulations Marc!

The opening acoustic stuff was perfect. And the electric multitrack.....WOW! PIPs were well placed. The solo? FANTASTIC! I was just going to email you to see how you were coming along...I guess I know now. Your 1st multitrack is AMAZING!

I have just a couple of suggestions for the mix: lower the lead level just a tad and raise the bass and drum levels a bit (I really couldn't hear the drums at all), and lastly, try this trick....

- duplicate your vocal track (select your vocal track & do a "Track->Duplicate tracks")
- select one of your 2 vocal tracks & do an "Edit->Nudge/Set items..." specifying 33 milliseconds and hit the "Nudge right" button
- then pan 1 vocal track hard left and the other hard right
- you might want to experiment with the millisecond value and the panning levels.

Oke Daryl,,I respond in the students upload to Marc the same thing a bout the over powered electric guitar and could'nt hear the other parts(drums and bass) I am glad I heard it well...but I still find it rockin.....

Willem

michelew

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 am

Marc,

Congrats on so many firsts.

The acoustic track was great.

And the multitrack was a HOOT! You sure know how to entertain. I think she'll get the message. :). That as sone dirty sound and WOW to the whole project.

I agree with everyone's suggestions about the sound levels of each track.

Great!

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am

Yeah! That's what I wanna hear! That was so much fun to listen to Marc, loved the acoustic intro, the Neanderthal rhythm and the lead, great stuff! You could have warned me not to turn up my head phones during the intro... considering what was about to follow!!

Daryl's tips will make difference but all in all that was just a great post. You need to take time off work more often.

Catman

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 am

Hey Marc,

Great work!

I have a question about your strumming on the main rhythm guitar in the "Neanderthal" section. I see that you used all down-strokes at double speed on the eighth-notes (or quavers). When I played along it seemed more natural to me to keep the constant strumming rhythm and use down and up strokes. Is there a particular reason you chose to strum it the way you did?

David

familyman4

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 am

Very good! I bet you had a blast putting all of this together!

Sorry I can't give you any advise that hasn't already been said but you should be very happy with this project.

Thanks for posting!
Bart

skaladar

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 am

Wow, that was a hoot Marc.

You’d think that a first effort at multi-tracking would be a little more reserved, ya-know, two maybe three tracks. I admire your ambition by jumping in with both feet and putting five tracks together following the intro. I always enjoy your videos but you’ve just raised the bar. I’m very impressed.

My only suggestion would possibly be making the transition from the intro to the mixed part slightly more abrupt. Just for affect. Of course that’s just a matter of editing and has nothing to do with how well you played throughout. I think you really nailed the timing which isn’t as easy as it may seem if you’re not accustomed to playing the guitar(s) while something is going on in your headset.

I’m looking forward to more of your newly revealed talent. Keep-em coming!

♫ Ken ♫

dennisg

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Marc,

This is just terrific! I loved the acoustic intro, the bashing and distorted lead guitar, and the driving rhythm of the other two guitars. And I really enjoyed hearing your wonderful French-Canadian accent coming through on vocals. And the multitracking? A tour de force. Great job on this.

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow, Mark! Nice job on this one. Lots of stuff going on there. Must have been tough learning all those parts. Add to that, you have to figure out how to be a sound and video engineer.

I guess you can add me to the list of people that recommend adjusting the volumes.

Acoustic intro is fine (would be nice to have vocals there)

For the rest, try:

Vocals always out front
Lead guitar out front when there aren’t any vocals and a solo is happening
Up with the bass
Up with the drums
Back off a little bit on the guitar in the center of the video
Maybe try bringing up the volume a little bit on the guitar in the lower right corner (it may be okay if you back off the guitar in the center)

I like the tone of the electrics. How did you figure that out? Are they special pedals/effects?

As far as the actual playing, I don’t have any suggestions there. You probably already know where you need to tighten things up there. Good work.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic