Busking The Head and the Heart

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Hey everyone,

Here is the latest song Bassman Jerry and I have been working on. It’'s called Lost in My Mind by a group called The Head and the Heart. This was our first full rehearsal of it, so there’'s a bunch of room for improvement. But, for the first attempt, I am pleased with it. We should have it cleaned up in a short while. It'’s a fun song to do.

Hydroman52

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

All right! Indeed. That was fun. Great to see the two of you back together. And Jerry's looking good! I like the new camera angle. I can see the both of you better this way. Don't know the song but it sure sounded good to me. Great strumming Rick. Great vocals Jerry. Some mighty high harmonies. Love to see a follow up of this song once you feel you've got it "cleaned up".

Craig

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey guys. I enjoyed that, makes me wish I could sing! :laugh: Not familiar with the song or the group, but sure liked that version. Good to see Bassman Jerry back in action. Thanks for sharing with us.

Craig

Music Junkie

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Nice job guys! Good to see Bassman Jerry up and playing again! I had not heard of this band until a few weeks ago. My backpacking buddy asked me what I knew about them. "Nothing", I said....lol He enjoys them very much. They are now on my list for two reasons.... Nice work on this one. Looks like it is a fun song to play.

Jason

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Hey again,

Wanted to expand on our back story of this song a little for those who have the time to read it and may be interested. We first saw the band perform this on a KEXP (Seattle) show about a half-year or so ago. We put it on a mental list of songs that we found interesting with the possibility to do in the future. Since we already had a full plate of tunes to learn, we promptly got distracted by this other stuff. A couple of weeks ago, I found out that a cousin of mine and her husband are in a band. After catching up on things (Hey, I didn’t know you did stuff like that!), we compared notes and this one was on their short list of songs to learn. When I pointed Jerry to my cousin’s band’s WEB site and showed him the songs they were adding, he saw this song and said “Why aren’t we doing that one?”. At the time, we were roughing out “Tweeter and the Monkey Man”, but dropped it and switched our attention to this one.

We did a quick review at one of our rehearsals to assign our rolls and began working on it individually at home. Then Jerry had the heart attack and was flown to the hospital where the doctors fixed his plumbing. Wow, things happen fast! It only took a couple of days for him to be on his feet again and he went right back to the song. We missed a rehearsal while he was on the mend, and that gave me time to create a drum track for the song for the next time we got together. Then I recorded a rough cut of the drums, guitar, and harmonies and emailed it to Jerry to practice bass and lead vocals against.

We’ve moved into Jerry’s garage to rehearse during the warm months, and the evening that this video was recorded was our first rehearsal of the song together. While we were setting up our gear, the power went out and we were temporarily “in the dark”. So our first run through was a bare bones acoustic version without drums and the PA. Eventually, power was restored and we recorded the video that’s posted here. We have a bit of work to do on it, but it came together quite well for the first attempt.

A little more technical drivel on the song if you are interested.

When we picked it up a few weeks ago, I played along with the KEXP YouTube video just to get the feel of it. For some reason that I couldn’t explain right away, I kept getting behind the beat. When I’d adjust and get all synchronized, I’d unexpectedly get behind the beat again. It was quite frustrating and I thought I was losing it until I put my metronome against the song. That’s when I discovered that they were applying incremental increases in tempo to continuously add energy throughout the song until the ending. Once I figured out where these changes occurred, everything sort of fell into place and I was able to keep up. . . . . somewhat. When I created the drum track, I programmed these tempo changes into the finished product so that we have a good guide for adding this dynamic. You should be able to spot where these changes are in the video, because we hadn’t quite adapted to it all. There are little "stalls" until we pick it up. Actually, I didn’t set up the changes exactly like they were doing it. They seem to start out at 88BPM (Beats Per Minute) – 90BPM and, at the end, they are at 100BPM or a little faster. I think they are changing tempo in 3BPM increments. In our version, we start out at 88BPM, increase in 2BPM increments in key locations, and finish out at 96BPM. I make too many mistakes when I do it up to speed. We may change this once we get more practice in.

On the surface, the guitar part is quite simple. The chords are D, G, A, and Bm. The G appears to be played as an open chord with the 2nd string fretted at the third fret to give it a fuller “12-string” effect. Jerry noted that a signature part of the song is played by the keyboard and suggested that I try to incorporate that into the rhythm guitar part. The solution that I like the best was simply to play a quick D to Dsus2 and a matching Gmaj7 to a G6. It’s not too tough for me to drop into playing this, then make a quick tempo change, and then set up for another quick tempo change and add vocal harmonies for the ending. That's about the limit for my brain to process at any one time.

Hydroman52

michelew

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Jerry and Hydro,

You guys sounds SO cool and look like you're having great fun. I love Jerry's vocals on this and it's good to see him up and about and bein' all rowdy. :)

Your drummer was hogging the spotlight a bit. It made it a little hard to hear the two of your properly at times.

That was fabulous as your posts always are. Fun!!! Thanks for the smiles.

Shel

coclimber

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm

This was really really enjoyable -- I think you guys sound great together! To be honest, I just started looking at other web pages, tapping my foot, humming along, and forgot it was a TG post... just thought it was playing in my iTunes.

Great vibe, and fun. Nice work! Thanks for sharing it.

BobR

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Hydroman / Jerry,

That was really fun. Not a song I am familiar with but sounding real good and this is just your rehearsal. I look forward to your final production. Nice to see Jerry feeling OK.

Very nicely done.

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm

That was a lot of fun Rick and Jerry, (glad to see you having fun again, Jerry) You guys sing very well together and Jerry's lead. Rick I really like your punchy strumming and it was an excellent timing for the both of you on a a great ending . Rick, you may have discuss the drum machine before , maybe you could point me at the right place with a link, but what equipment are you using. I was looking for something like this a while ago.

Great video

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 am

Great song and great Jam guys! Great to see Jerry up and running... great therapy too!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic