Busking Blues

dennisg

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:27 am

Man, your blues playing is really coming along! I'm impressed. You do a lot of nice things in there, and I get the sense that you're starting to feel the music more than you did in your last video. I think you'll experience that more and more as you get more comfortable with it.

And is that yet another new guitar?

RicksPick

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Tony I guess the vidoe is flipped
Nice cool blue-ish guitar there dude
Could be this new tab thing im viewing it on though
Nice progress
RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Nice work Tony, you are certainly moving along on your Blues trip! I'm looking forward to your first multi track video where you are Bluesing with yourself.

suziko

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Tony, that sounded really great! I feel like you made a ton of improvement since your last upload. Way more feeling, much better timing and some seriously nice bends and slides. Very, very cool!! And I LOVE your new guitar! Is it light green or greyish-green? It's hard to tell in the video- but it looks super pretty! I'm a bit envious, I'll admit!

Suzi

tovo

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks heaps Den. I figure a minute or two here and there to keep getting tips and feedback is really useful. Yep, another guitar. I'm an addict man.

Hey Rick, I bet you're one sore dude so appreciate you taking time to comment. Yep, video is flipped. I figure the quality of my cam on my Mac is good enough for what I am trying to achieve here.

Cheers Chris. A long way to go but you know what? Bring it on! :-)

Suzi thanks. Yes I feel it more, gaining confidence and don't feel anywhere near as rushed. I guess that comes with knowing the licks better. Yeah the tele really stood out when I walked in to the shop. I knew I wanted an American Standard tele, the color got me. It's like a metalic green, very unusual color really but looks fab. I love it. Now that I am getting used to the neck I can start to appreciate why Fender has (along with Gibson) dominated the scene for so many years. I'm more than a little envious of you so you're well in front! Thanks.

BigBear

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Tony- Pretty darn good for a Texan from Oz!!!

I like your style and I know you probably get get sick of hearing this, but work on your expression. The blues is famous for big bends, both and up and down. Not really so much vibrato. Often the very first or last note in a blues riff gets bent so think about that. Also, big bends will change your timing, often adding up to a full quarter note or even more. This is how your riff gains feeling. I believe that most blues players can be identified by their timing more than their note selction.

Finally, know where your blues notes are on every scale and use them strategically. You can be picking away in a major scale and then BOOM hit a blues note (flatted 3rd, 5th or 7th) and your riff sounds totally different. I think the best blues are when the blue notes are not where you expect them to be. It creates tension and anticipation.

But you are well on your way to becoming a blues god!! Hold on to your hat!

All the best my friend!!

:cheer:

BobR

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Tony,

I am a bit late getting here, but I like what you are doing.

Keep it up!

Bob

Catman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

Also late...

I listened to this without watching it, and it sounded very cool. Then I watched it and it still sounded cool! Great work!

tovo

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Rick, thanks mate. As usual some excellent feedback there and I'll take note of it all.

Bob, Catman thanks to you both. I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic