Busking Blues

tovo

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Just a touch of Texas Flood style blues licks. I was talking to a couple of TG mates who said "hey show us what you are doing" so here's what I am doing. Note that I am working on NOT anchoring my picking hand and trying to keep my fingers closer to the fretboard. I know a backing track would make it more interesting, but I'm happy for any technique feedback on this short clip.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Quite a nice improvement Tony. Nice bends and slides and your playing is quite melodic. I did not read right away your text and noticed your right hand (left hand?) got rid of the anchoring, that did not take long! I am no expert in solo, but your fretting hand seems to be pointing with the pinky. I think that if you have your hand more parallel to the fretboard, it will bring all your finger tips at the same distance of the fretboard, giving you a chance to use your pinky, without having to twist your hand to use it when needed. Just a thought.

Nice work

Marc

Craig

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:12 am

Nice work Tony! Your hard work is paying off. I don't play the blues and I don't think I'm qualified to offer advice. I do think I'm qualified enough to say that it sounds good to me and your progress is noticeable! Way to go. Keep up the good work and congratulations to you. You should be proud of yourself.

Craig

haoli25

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:41 am

My only experience with the BLUES is as a listener only, but I can't help but think that somewhere Stevie Ray is smiling with approval. Nice job.

Bill

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:48 am

Cool stuff Tony, all I've got for you is to maybe not be so exact with the note lengths i.e. nearly all the same in this clip, and add in a bit more vibrato

willem

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 am

That sounded like bleus Tony,,not that i can give real advice but i listen also to the advice giving to you and then I observe,,,I think you do it a bit better but noticed you lift you fingers so now and to high,,,its great you do not anchor your pinky and wat also can help is a bit resting with you pickin hand on the the bridge(not muting)...also the advise from Marc for having your fretting hand more parralel(al the time) to to fret board is a good advice its some I work also on for reaching better to the frets..you can see that you twist away(not parralel anymore) from the fret board/neck ,,you can see it in the 2 to 7 second video time..

Willem

willem

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 am

Tony, many many kudos for not anchoring your pinky anymore!!! I know it's takes hárd work, but I'm glad you noticed that if you do so, it actually won't take thát long. So I really admire your focus and determination in that!!

Other than that, enjoy the bluesride, indeed pay some more attention to your fretting hand and thanks for sharing your progress!

Ness

michelew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 am

Hey my blues man mate in the making.

This is already sounding like a differnt animal to the last video you uploaded. It's definitely got feeling.Your bends are sounding nice and you look a lot more fluid. If you had been playing against a track I'm guessing it would have had even more feleing. I suspect that you would naturally have added more of the variation that Chas is looking for too.

Great progress. New mini soup catcher to celebrate the blues you?

Is thst a new guitar?

Shel

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:35 am

michelew wrote:
Hey my blues man mate in the making.

This is already sounding like a differnt animal to the last video you uploaded. It's definitely got feeling.Your bends are sounding nice and you look a lot more fluid. If you had been playing against a track I'm guessing it would have had even more feleing. I suspect that you would naturally have added more of the variation that Chas is looking for too.

Great progress. New mini soup catcher to celebrate the blues you?

Is thst a new guitar?

Shel
Hey good one Shel, never noticed the Telecaster not really noted for blues more a country style axe, but hey its in the playing and the feel man... I feel a bit of a video coming on if I can get my gear sorted out...

tovo

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks Marc, I'll keep working on the fretting hand.

Cheers Craig thanks always for the support.

Cheers Bill nice to hear from you old mate. I'd like to think that SRV is smiling somewhere.

Hey Willem, I'll keep working on that fretting hand.

Ness thanks heaps. Listening to the advice is really helping

Shel my rock, thanks mate, yep, got the soup catcher going beautifully and a new axe to boot.

Hey Chas thanks mate. Get to playing my man. Yep, more work on the feel and the vibrato for sure.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm happier than a pig in you know what. Learning blues, albeit slowly, makes me so damn HAPPY! It's a pity I can't play 24 hours a day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic