Busking Rolling Stones - Sweet Virginia - MarkM

MarkM

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Long time no play..................

Well life is "starting" to settle a bit around here. I've had this song in my head for a few weeks now and decided to try and give it a go. Apologies for the dead strings in advance. This song was from the 1972 Exile on Main Street Album. Content warning as there is a naughy word in the song. It's one of those classic Stones songs that feature them at their country honk best. Still a long ways to go but here it is. Thanks for watching.

Oh I've tried the Busking channel uploader for countless times over the past year and again it doesn't want to upload for me. Maybe I'm using an old uploader. Not sure.

Wadin' through the waste stormy winter,
And there's not a friend to help you through.
Tryin' to stop the waves behind your eyeballs,
Drop your reds, drop your greens and blues.

Thank you for your wine, California,
Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits.
Yes I got the desert in my toenail
And I hid the speed inside my shoe.

But come on, come on down Sweet Virginia,
Come on, honey child, I beg of you.
Come on, come on down, you got it in ya.
Got to scrape the shit right off you shoes.

I want you to come on, come on down Sweet Virginia,
I want you come on, honey child, I beg of you. .
I want you come on, honey child you got it in you.
Got to scrape that shit right off you shoes.

But come on, come on down Sweet Virginia,
Come on, come on down, I beg of you.
Come on, come on down, you got it in you.
Got to scrape that shit right off you shoes.

daryl

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey Mark, I thought that was a GREAT performance. Not sure what you don't like about it. I don't know the song at all and and have never heard the Stones do it. But your version sure sounded a lot like Jerry Garcia to me. I thought this was your best vocals to date!

tombo1230

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Really nice job! Loved it! :)

Tom N.

MarkM

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey Daryl. I hope all is well. Thanks for the nice comments. I fell out of time in the intro with the hammerons. Didn't make me happy but I was running out of time and rushed this one a bit. I'm colaborating with a friend of mine (much better than I) and I hope to have a really nice version of this some day in the next month or so. For some reason this one was easier for me to sing.

Tom - As always thank you very much for your nice words and support.

MarkM

buddy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Mark, Your playing on this tune is fantastico !!!!! You really brought it all together on this tune. Great picking and hammer-ons.

Bud

Lavallee

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 am

Excellent video Mark, the playing is excellent and also would say that this is your best singing video so far (I said that the last time too, so it is improving all the timne). You are taking more chances in pushing your voice and it is paying off. Howe do you get the reverb in the voice?

Marc

tovo

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 am

Hey Mark my man. As usual I am in agreement with Marc. I reckon that was by far your best vocal performance, and I thought that your last upload was as well...so there is constant, excellent improvement in your singing. Are you taking lessons in that regard? The improvement is really noticeable.

Your strumming as usual is smooth as silk. LOVE watching you play.

Does Shit REALLY pass for swearing in the US?? I was expecting an F bomb.

dennisg

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 am

Another strumming clinic led by the master. Great to see you channeling your inner Keith Richards, Mark. And this was by far your best vocal performance. Yeah, tempo increased slightly during the hammer-on sections, but at least it reinforces the notion that you're human. After seeing the perfection in several of your videos, I was beginning to wonder.

lueders

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:21 am

Damn, Mark!! B) ( to add another swear word of my own) that was one STELLAR Performance!!!

I dunno what I like better the sound of your guitar or your vocals!! It's like trying to choose between strawberry shortcake and blackberry cobbler!
You were able to get so much variety with the hammer ons in that one section. That sounded really cool. As did the base runs.
You're a darn fine picker...excellent technique, as always...but I gotta say this performance was particularly exceptional.

The vocals, i-karumba!!! U sounded like a professional!
I wish some of that would rub off on me someday!! Lol!

BobR

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Mark,

I thought that was great. Very fine playing as usual and you're vocals on this were SO good. I went to an open mic last night(just watching) and I would say without any doubt you're performance on this would have blown them away.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic