Busking Scott McKenzie

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:41 am

Very fitting Vanessa... I heard the news from you first and to hear your tribute to Scott for his iconic anthem of the heady 60/70's is just what it needed. Nice rendition of probably the most recognisable song of the 60's. Its absolutely amazing what "just a simple song" (as Scott describes it) can mean to folks all over the world over several generations. Truly a timeless anthem. What a shame it seems to have been almost a curse to have just that one song... difficult to make a concert out of that.... over decades.

Thanks for helping us all pay our respects Nesh!

michelew

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 am

Jim: Hey Jim! Thanks for the kind comment!!! So the weather is treating you nice as well?! Schools are starting at the 3rd of september over here, I'll start work then too..... :( .....well still some time left :cheer: ! Thanks Jim!

Tony: Gosh, your comment made me smile big :) :) :) !!! So nice to hear and so sweet of you to say, makes my morning nów! ;) Thanks mate!!

Willem: I hear you Willem! ;) And the salads-comment made me laugh out loud!! :laugh: :laugh: As for the playing, of cóurse you could play this, it's just folkstrum and mostly open chords, it's indeed a campfire song, not a campfire-version. And the bridge is just doubletime, you could continue with the folkstrum as well, really not that big of a deal. Anyway, I'm glad that it brought up some memories, at least if they're good ones! :P Thanks Willem, really glad that you liked it!

Scott: :laugh: :laugh: Yep, définitely enjoying summer!!! Thanks so much Scott, smiling here again!! :cheer: :)

to be continued very soon, the sun is up!!!! :cheer:

Ness

suziko

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 am

Ness,

I just got back from a trip to NY and this was the first thing I checked out on TG since my return. What a treat! Truly a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to a classic song. So sad to hear about his passing, too. We've lost a lot of good ones this year!

Suzi

Craig

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Vanessa,
Great to see and hear from you again. You look really healthy and happy, life must be good for you! Thanks for sharing your tribute. It was very well done.

Craig

michelew

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:17 am

Michele: Aaaaaah Shel, I'm soooooo glad that I could make you feel summery!!! :P I guess the song does that, at least to me too! I've never been in SF as well, who knows one day. Then again, I was born and raised in Amsterdam, it sure has it's flowerpower history. My parents were hippies (my dad still looks like one, with long hair and all, haha! :laugh: ), so maybe that's why I like the feel of the song so much! Thanks for your sweet comment Shel, great to hear that you liked it!!

Daryl: That's really nice to hear! :) Thanks Daryl, appreciate it!

Bob: Thanks so much Bob and yes very much enjoying summer!! :woohoo:

Tom: A glimpse of my hippie-side, hahaha :laugh: :laugh: ! Well I guess you're right, as I said to Shel above, I am the child of hippieparents, so I guess that explains it! ;) And yes, I've always loved the music of those days and before. Thanks so much Tom, hope you're enjoying summer as I do!! :) :)

Snipe: Aaah, thanks for dropping by Mike and doing it justice, well that's always a great comliment to me :) :) , really pleased to hear! Thanks again!

Chris: Ooooooh I usually just lóve those 'simple songs', can't help it! :P And yeah, this one is truly a classic and it's indeed amazing what such a song means to so many people, it's the power of music! :cheer: Thanks Chris, really glad that you liked it!

Suzi: Aaaaah, how great of you to drop by! And I'm more than happy that it was a treat :cheer: :) :cheer: :) !!!! Thanks so much Sue!

Craig: :) :) Yeah, life's good :silly: !! How sweet of you to notice! :) :) And thanks for checking it out, really always appreciate your support and comments, thanks again Craig!!

Thanks all!

Ness

dennisg

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm

So sorry to hear about Scott's passing.

I was 16 when this song came out, and the notion of packing up my few belongings and moving to San Francisco was very appealing. Unfortunately, my mother wouldn't let me, thus ending my career as a hippy.

Beautiful version of this sweet anthem for the counter-culture generation, Ness. While the song looks like an easy strummer (and can most definitely be played as such), I always appreciate the extra things you bring to a song. In this case your right hand adds doubled strums, particularly toward the end of the song. Very, very nice.

BigBear

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Great song Nesh! One of my favorites from the "Peace and Love" 60's. I always enjoyed Scott McKenzie and I'm sorry to see him pass. He was often the behind the scenes player and voice for some great music for example the Mamas and the Papas or the Beach Boys but he had a real innocent quality to his voice.

Thanks for performing it for us and bringing back fond memories!!

doei

:cheer:

pjwhite

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:06 am

Dennis: Haha, so no early hippydays for you???! Mom stepped in ;) :P ! Thanks so much Den, it's really always nice to hear you like the extras I throw in there. I think it's true, a song can be so 'simple', and still there's a whole bunch you can do with it to make it sound more 'alive'. Thanks for your sweet comment!

BigBear: Hoi Bear! ;) Glad to hear that it brought back fond memories! And you're right, he has done a lot behind the scenes, I was indeed aware of his contributions for the Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys and I think he has a beautiful voice, a 'real innocent quality' is a good way to describe it. Anyway, thanks so much for checking it out! Doeidoei!! :P :laugh: :cheer:

Thanks guys!

Ness

jayswett

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Another great performance. Inspiring, as usual.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm

dennisg wrote:
... I was 16 when this song came out, and the notion of packing up my few belongings and moving to San Francisco was very appealing. Unfortunately, my mother wouldn't let me, thus ending my career as a hippy ...
The song came out in '67, but it was in '76 that I found myself wandering thereabouts with my thumb stuck out by the side of the road. It seems you can "count" on me to do things kinda flipped: 76 is a very different vibe from 67, whether or not you believe in numerology :huh:

Vanessa, your rendition sure hit home with me ... and it's darn close to being a lesson in itself. I'll be revisiting it for sure, it's the kind of song that makes everyone around feel happy ... gotta play it :)

Thanks mucho !
Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic