Busking SRV Style Texas Blues

tovo

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi all. This is just audio. I originally loaded it in videos for review in order to encourage some critical comment but couldn't get it to work. Thanks Mark and Den for helping me out. I just want to show that I am still working on the blues. Any feedback very welcome.

http://snd.sc/Tb61Ig (This is my latest effort replacing the original I posted)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Great to hear your work progressing Tony.... I'm going to leave the commenting for those who know more about this than I... but I'm enjoying following your progress!

willem

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Oke Tony I heard you and I think you improve bit by bit,, I tryed to listen with the knowledge I have(triple feel) but can't give advise,,I enjoyed you played along with a backing track and I think it must 'cos you got to feel the rhythm(well I'm told to that too)..

Pity I could'nt see your bleusfaces,,you know what I mean..

Hope you get your vid up some day!! :( :dry:

Willem

edit: in what key were you playing Tony??

Craig

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Tony,
Wow, I'm impressed. I don't feel quailified enough to offer advice, but I thought it was very cool. Your hard work, time and effort are paying off for sure.

Craig

tovo

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Cheers Chris.

Hey thanks for commenting Willem. F#

Hey Craig thanks mate.

buddy

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Very very nice Tony, smooth brother really smooth. I also missed seeing your Aussie mug while you were playing this. Keep up whatever you are doing because it is sure working !!!

Bud

daryl

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Wow. Tons and tons of improvements over your last upload. How many hours a day of practice do you think you are putting in? Pity there's no video. What kind of issues were you having with the video?

Question: Are you playing a predetermined blues solo or are you improvising the whole thing?

The only critique/comment I'd like to make (as I am also not qualified to give any real advise about soloing and/or the blues) is "watch those bends". You need to know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with those things. Are you shooting for a whole step bend (2 frets) or a half-step bend (1 fret) or just a partial bend (like a quarter-step or so)? No matter which bend you are going for you need to hit the note you are shooting for exactly. And once you hit the targeted note you (typically) don't want to then let it go flat or sharp. And sometimes one needs to mute the bent string while releasing the bent note on their way to the next note.

BobR

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Tony,

I'm glad you were able to get this posted. Very cool indeed!! Keep up the Blues.

Bob

tovo

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks Bud and Bob. (Could be a good country band guys!) Seriously now, thanks for commenting.

Daryl I was so hoping to hear from you. I understand exactly what you are saying regarding the bends. Knowing what is needed and DOING it are 2 different things eh! :) But I'll keep working.

Regarding your other questions. It's a progression I have learned. It's 3 choruses long, around 27 licks, something like that. Good thing is that it is in the SRV style, but not note for note so it is helping me to improvise. Of course, what is improvisation? It's not playing something you have never played before, it's using what you know to play around the neck. I'm getting better at that I think.

How much practice? On workdays about 2 hours. On weekends anything up to 6 spread out over early morning, day and evening. It doesn't feel like work to me!

willem

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 pm

daryl wrote:
Wow. Tons and tons of improvements over your last upload. How many hours a day of practice do you think you are putting in? Pity there's no video. What kind of issues were you having with the video?

Question: Are you playing a predetermined blues solo or are you improvising the whole thing?

The only critique/comment I'd like to make (as I am also not qualified to give any real advise about soloing and/or the blues) is "watch those bends". You need to know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with those things. Are you shooting for a whole step bend (2 frets) or a half-step bend (1 fret) or just a partial bend (like a quarter-step or so)? No matter which bend you are going for you need to hit the note you are shooting for exactly. And once you hit the targeted note you (typically) don't want to then let it go flat or sharp. And sometimes one needs to mute the bent string while releasing the bent note on their way to the next note.

Great advice Daryl,,me too I understand what you saying,,its all a bout ear training , I find it very difficult to get the exact tone/note with does bends but it is great to work on it,,,it was a big suprise to me to know how to get a bit vibrato on a note with doing a very little bend and shuffle the string a bit,,I also discovered that not every note lends for doeing those bends there are some that are very clear,,gee bends/hammerons,pulloffs,muting,,well there is a lot of doing things in the bleus/music,,I hope for Tony he gets his signature bleus/riff(s)..and for my self..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic