Busking SRV Style Texas Blues

tovo

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey thanks Ness that's very kind of you and I'm proud that you are proud!

Look I'm pretty excited this morning. I did another take, really focusing on the bends after watching some stuff that friends sent me and I came up with this one. I think its much, much better (although self-praise is certainly not worth a lot! ;) ) I really appreciate the help. With all sincerity thanks all.

http://snd.sc/Tb61Ig

tovo

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey guys just a quick note. I'm sorry to have given the impression that Kev did a video of himself playing to demonstrate techniques for me. He didn't. What he sent was a clip from Youtube which is really useful, but is by another instructor so I didn't think it appropriate to post here. Still happy to provide it to anyone who wants to check it out.

dennisg

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am

Hey, Tony, sorry I'm so late to the party, but I haven't been around much lately. Anyway, I so admire your dedication to your craft, your ability to identify what you want to do with the guitar, and your willingness to do whatever it takes to accomplish it. There's a lot to learn from your clip, in particular that practice pays off. You're an inspiration!

tovo

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks so much Den for your continuous support and encouragement. You are such a positive influence for me.

suziko

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey Tony,

Sounds great! Again, I'm really not one to judge who "good" your blues playing is because I know so little about the genre, but I think it sounds really good! Other more experienced players might be able to judge your bends, triplets, etc better.

Suzi

daryl

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:58 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey thanks Ness that's very kind of you and I'm proud that you are proud!

Look I'm pretty excited this morning. I did another take, really focusing on the bends after watching some stuff that friends sent me and I came up with this one. I think its much, much better (although self-praise is certainly not worth a lot! ;) ) I really appreciate the help. With all sincerity thanks all.

http://snd.sc/Tb61Ig
Tony,

I think you've got your licks memorized and know how and when to start them (on the beat or the off-beat). And you know when to not play. But you need to focus on your bends. I think you're tuned down a half step such that you're actually playing in the G minor pentatonic against the F# backing track. Right? And your opening lick begins with a full step bend from the 5th fret 3rd string. You should practice that lick over and over again alternating playing it with the full bend and then with a full step slide until you can't hear the difference in tones. And do the same thing for all your licks that have either a half-step of full-step bend in them. That will help develop your hear (and fretting hand).

Looking forward to your next installment!

Daryl

beaker

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Tony, All I can say is WOW! that was really great! Such a huge improvement in your playing. Keep it up and stay inspired. Your efforts are definitely paying off. I look forward to more for sure. Beaker.

tombo1230

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Well done Tony. I felt that you loosened up and relaxed into the licks about half way through the audio recording. The result was, for my ears anyway, that it became more relaxed, fluent and natural in the second half by a few more degrees. I really like how you changed the tempo as well. I wanted you to hold some of the notes a little longer at times but I guess that depends on how much echo/distortion you add via the amp or electronics. But mighty impressive to my reckoning. Keep up the good work! B)

Tom N.

tovo

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey Suzi thanks very much for the kind comment. I have received some very useful feedback and I'm encouraged by people saying that it sounds OK.

Daryl thanks for continuing to offer help. I'm tuned down a half step yes. I continue to work on the bends, recording them and playing them back. I think this is at the heart of blues, certainly SRV style blues where single and multiple string bends are used so frequently. Anyway, I hear what you are saying and I will continue to work on it. Thanks!

Hey Beaker and Tom..thankyou both! Those comments are really very useful in themselves, it gives me confidence that I am heading in the right direction.

mark

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Tony
I haven't got anything to add to what has already been said.

You are definately going in the right direction

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic