Busking SRV Style Texas Blues

daryl

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:40 pm

tovo wrote:
Thanks Bud and Bob. (Could be a good country band guys!) Seriously now, thanks for commenting.

Daryl I was so hoping to hear from you. I understand exactly what you are saying regarding the bends. Knowing what is needed and DOING it are 2 different things eh! :) But I'll keep working.

Regarding your other questions. It's a progression I have learned. It's 3 choruses long, around 27 licks, something like that. Good thing is that it is in the SRV style, but not note for note so it is helping me to improvise. Of course, what is improvisation? It's not playing something you have never played before, it's using what you know to play around the neck. I'm getting better at that I think.

How much practice? On workdays about 2 hours. On weekends anything up to 6 spread out over early morning, day and evening. It doesn't feel like work to me!
Don't I know it. KNOWING and DOING are two very different things!

Regarding predetermined vs improvising: I'm even more impressed with your latest attempt. If you're not playing "note for note" then you have improved immensely! You have some very nice "empty" spaces in your lastest attempt. Knowing when NOT to play is as important as know WHAT to play. You are definitely getting better.

Doing something that one loves is NEVER like work.

Keep at it and keep posting your progress.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Tony, very nice, quite an improvement on your last improvement. It sounds really good. I really like your 2 string bends at about 3/4 and a good turn around.

Marc

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 am

Great job Tony, I'm with Daryl on this some of the bends I'm not sure where you're going half , full. quarter or what. Also missing is a wee bit of vibrato, BB King once gave advice to SRV on that and he said take your thumb off the back of the neck and use the complete hand to work it man! I'm really impressed with your dedication to your art, keep up the great work.

suziko

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 am

Hey Tony,

Well, I have no expertise in this area, so I can't offer any advice. But I will say that it sure sounded great to me. If I heard you playing this at a jam, I'd reckon you were a pretty experienced blues player. I'm sure impressed!! You should really be proud of yourself- you've made huge progress in this area!

Suzi

dekotaj

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 am

Don't I know it. KNOWING and DOING are two very different things!

Regarding predetermined vs improvising: I'm even more impressed with your latest attempt. If you're not playing "note for note" then you have improved immensely! You have some very nice "empty" spaces in your lastest attempt. Knowing when NOT to play is as important as know WHAT to play. You are definitely getting better.

Doing something that one loves is NEVER like work.

Keep at it and keep posting your progress.[/quote]

Hey Tony,

Got your blues showing.Got to go with the others on the bends.But it sounds like you no that already.So lets talk about some other things.

!st,I play rhythm and not a lot off lead right now.So this is not fact just what I hear when I play for my friend whom is working on leads.

2nd, You have some very nice "empty" spaces in your lastest attempt. Knowing when NOT to play is as important as knowing WHAT to play. You are definitely getting better.From Dryal,HOW TRUE THIS IS!!!!Can't tell you how important this is!!!!!!!!

3rd,As Willem said its in triplet playing.How true.So lets talk about somethings you or sure to no.Each measure is made up of 4 set of triplets.If you are not sharing that measure with another chord.So the count is (TRIPLET,TRIPLE,TRIPLE,TRIPLE).And yes you did play throw three set of twelve barrs.That would be 36 measures.The recording was 37 measure,you did not start the last twelve barrs.So good you knew when to stop.And you did start no beat one.so you played all 36 barrs.Not that you have to be playing every note in the measure to be counted.Most Blues are played with the 1,4,and 5 chords of the key your in.Not always but damn near all the time.A lot of rock tune are played in this same format.With the last measure played as a turn around to get you back to the top.

4th,As a lead player you MUST no how the song is set up with the 1,4,and 5 chords.Remember the rhythm player is just setting the count.Remember that the 1,4,and5 chord has it own chord tones.The same key of course but different tones per chord.Or home run notes.or the ending note of the triplet patten.Like a call and response kind of thing.OK OK OK.I'll stop now.SORRY my friend but i think this stuff a hell of a lot faster then I can type.

So I guess we are right back at the start.Knowing and doing or two different things!!!!!Seeing my typing stinks would it be OK if I sent you a video and try to explain.

Your friend and bad typist
Kev

PS,I would love to delete all this,But damn brother it took me from ever to type it????

suziko

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 am

I don't know about Tony, but I'd love to see a video, Kevin! I'm really interested in learning more about lead playing, and any tips I can get from more experienced players is always appreciated.

Suzi

tombo1230

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 pm

suziko wrote:
I don't know about Tony, but I'd love to see a video, Kevin! I'm really interested in learning more about lead playing, and any tips I can get from more experienced players is always appreciated.

Suzi
Me too!

Tom N.

willem

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:36 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
suziko wrote:

Suzi
Me too!

Tom N.

Me too Kevin,,play your own backing track and show the lead playing and tell us the key your in and we play along...

Willem

tovo

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Hey thanks Marc, always appreciate your comments.

Chas thanks. Yep, definitely the bends need work, I can hear it myself absolutely.

Suzi thanks that's really generous.

Kev thanks man. I watched the video you sent and got some good stuff out of it for sure. Just to address a couple of your points, I have been playing rhythm as well, and working on the I, IV and V chords. With the triplets, again I get the theory but not so good in the practice! Thanks a lot for taking so much time to help. Much appreciated.

I was going to post the link that Kev sent but then realised that it's probably not cool to post on TG so happy to share with anyone who wants to grab it from me. Just mail.

willem

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:14 pm

It's true, tons of improvement Tony!! :)

And I gotta say, I deeply admire your pitbull-like attitude when it comes down to playing and practicing and applying and.....and much more! (am bowing or taking my hat off, whatever, you get the point :P :cheer: !)

All in all, I'm proud of you as you should be of yourself as well! :) :) :)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic