Busking Bob Marley - Redemption Song

cosmicmechanic

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Sabathiel,

Beginner ? Well, depends on your definition, I guess.
You play using varied techniques, and apply them with substantial precision.
You also seem at ease and credible belting out the vocals.

I enjoyed your performance, fun to strum along with.
Reminds me of a time long ago when I hung with some Jamaicans for a while ...
they lived in a basement flat and painted the few tiny window panes black from the inside. :blink:

Day-O ... Da-a-ay-O ... daylight come ? I don't think so.

Your place seems much brighter and tidier.

Thanks for this very nice post, mon.
Pierre

sabathiel

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Well I classify myself as an advanced beginner or early intermediate on guitar. I play bass guitar in my local church band and in a band that does originals. I also am a die hard karaoke nut who sings at the local bar every weekend. So I guess music is pretty much in my system but I intend to branch out to play guitar. My aim is to busk in the city mall. It looks like I play quite well in the video clip but something you guys don't know. This is like take number 50. LOL I keep making mistakes and had to redo the take. The common mistake is picking the wrong string because singing and playing (the arpeggiating) was a problem for me. So often I stop the take half way through to start again because I don't want people to spot the mistake I made. The strumming was easy for me even with the singing. I could play strumming from beginning to end but I wanted to challenge myself by doing my own rendition of the song. I looked around Youtube and got some ideas from different people doing covers of this song. Then I fuse them together and add my own twist to it. And this is the result. Also you guys need to know I practised this song daily for more than a month before I was confident I would do a recording of it. Yeah so yes I am some kind of beginner even if a very advanced one. LOL I am at the moment practisin Blackbird by the Beatles and Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Probably I would soon be confident to record me singing and playing Tears In Heaven. Again the tricky bit for me is playing and singing at the same time while adding some fancy stuff to the Clapton guitar part which is adding the riff from the second acoustic guitar on the song. I can sing and play most parts but some parts are still tricky for me. As for Blackbird I haven't tried singing yet because I am still mastering the correct speed of the song. Yeah so that is my background to my guitar skills.

P.S.
I bought my first proper guitar which was the Fender CD-60CE early last year but I didn't play it that much. I played it for like 2-3 months and then just left it laying there doing nothing. In February this year I bought my current Maton and since then have been practising around 30-40 minutes every day if I can. I recently purchased one of Neil's guitar lesson which is "Signe" by Eric Clapton which is a bossanova unplugged instrumental. I intend to learn this song once I am done with the other 2 I am learning at the moment. Like the other songs I just play the songs I learn every day and play nothing else. That's how I learn songs.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:31 am

Nice Job Mon... I hear a Randy Newman sound in your voice too... might be worth a try.
Chris in Swiss

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic