Busking Merle Haggard

tovo

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Terry that was a damn fine effort and I really liked it. If you are a Waylon Jennings fan (or even if you aren't) I reckon you would do a great job of some of his stuff.

Where are you from exactly? Somewhere down South I guess where they say git-ars! (I'm from WAY down South so just curious)

Great job mate.

tombo1230

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

tacticaltal wrote:
Hey Tom, thanks. Is there any free software out there for doing what you suggest? I'm Googling now, but if you can more info, I'd appreciate it.

What about Audacity; do you have any experience with it?
Hi Terry,
Audacity is a great software. I used it a few years back and as far as I know you can still get it for free.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:

Btw....I know your guitar, an Epiphone right???!
I agree it's an Epiphone. There is one exactly like it lying in my music room. It belongs to Claire. It was the second guitar she owned when at high school. :)

Tom N.

tacticaltal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Terry cool video.
Well done for posting a video so soon.
Puts me to shame.
:blush:

ThesresHopeYet

:laugh: :laugh:
Well, I'll have to take a listen-hear (cousin to " a look-see") :laugh: on you, but I don't think I can shame anyone here; you guys are all so great.

tacticaltal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 am

Chris - Yes, it's an Epiphone. A little gal, I call "Epi". For the price, she does good ;)

Bob - Thanks for the comments. I'm working pretty hard on the audio quality. Willem and Vanessa are helping me get there I think.

Ness - (and Willem), thanks for the "right-sound" button tip. I'll check that out later today (it's 12:30am where I am), and the family will not understand if I start up a session right now, though I want to so much :( It's really funny, I am quite the shy type, but the busking is so much fun, I think about it all the time.

What's next? Well, off the top of my head, I don't know which BEE-GEES song I might do, maybe How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (my fav, I think). Barry's falsetto scares the beejeebus out of me, there's no way I can go there. I know, I've tried :laugh: EAGLES? So many of theirs are great songs, Lyin' Eyes is my all-time favorite of theirs. When i first heard that song, it irked me that I hadn't written it. The lyrics are so damn great for people to relate to. I'll have to find one to work on.

Since I'm interested in learning to fingerpick, I also wanted to do Vincent in Chet Atkin's style (He uses DGDGBE, and plays it in G, with Don McClean) singing it. Check it out on YouTube, if you haven't already heard it: It may be some time, though before I attempt it, cause I'm not there yet.

Willem - Thanks for the visual on that camera. Your Logitech and mine appear the same.

Tovo - I don't know many of Waylon's songs, but I'll try to find one for you.

Tom - Yes, I'm still trying to figure out how Audacity works :)

Thanks everyone for the awesome comments and encouragements.

Terry

tacticaltal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:13 am

Somebody asked me where I'm from, and I've updated my profile and permissions, but I don't have the little icons below my avatar ???

Anyhoo, Evansville, Indiana (USA)

lueders

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:42 am

That was great Terry!! :) :) :)

Wow, some first video!! I think I can darn near construct the tune for myself just from watching your video.
I have always liked this song. Sure is sad...but that's good country writing for ya. (Sunday morning coming down...that's another one kinda in that ballpark.)
Anyways, I really liked your playing and your baritone voice.
Any chance you might give Momma Tried a try? Sure would like to hear it!

Hey, I wouldn't take it too hard about your set up. It didn't sound too bad. Only really noticed it in a couple of spots, I hope you don't get the idea you have to go hogwild and start shelling out a bunch of $$ for a bunch of hardware, software and other miscellaneous new-fangled gadgetry just to post here.To the techies out there that are really into that sort of thing;you know who you are (you're all good folks & hat's off)but I think maybe we get a little carried away with that stuff around here when we're offering feedback. Especially in this case where we have first time poster and all...Just my opinion...

I use just a garden variety sony HD "bloggie" and I just use the internal mic and simply press "record." (like Tom mentioned) I don't plug into an amp mind you. Because doing things that way (in the cramped confines that is my house) there would definately be some serious signals bouncing off each other. Lol Maybe just do like Vanessa said. I'm like her, in that I don't get to wrapped up in the tech end of things. Do my uploads sound like a million bucks? No, but they're listen-able, I think. Then again, if you are ready for all that there are some likable, knowledgable people here who can point you in the right direction.

tacticaltal

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:59 am

lueders wrote:
That was great Terry!! :) :) :)

Wow, some first video!! I think I can darn near construct the tune for myself just from watching your video.
I have always liked this song. Sure is sad...but that's good country writing for ya. (Sunday morning coming down...that's another one kinda in that ballpark.)
Anyways, I really liked your playing and your baritone voice.
Any chance you might give Momma Tried a try? Sure would like to hear it!

Hey, I wouldn't take it too hard about your set up. It didn't sound too bad. Only really noticed it in a couple of spots, I hope you don't get the idea you have to go hogwild and start shelling out a bunch of $$ for a bunch of hardware, software and other miscellaneous new-fangled gadgetry just to post here.To the techies out there that are really into that sort of thing;you know who you are (you're all good folks & hat's off)but I think maybe we get a little carried away with that stuff around here when we're offering feedback. Especially in this case where we have first time poster and all...Just my opinion...

I use just a garden variety sony HD "bloggie" and I just use the internal mic and simply press "record." (like Tom mentioned) I don't plug into an amp mind you. Because doing things that way (in the cramped confines that is my house) there would definately be some serious signals bouncing off each other. Lol Maybe just do like Vanessa said. I'm like her, in that I don't get to wrapped up in the tech end of things. Do my uploads sound like a million bucks? No, but they're listen-able, I think. Then again, if you are ready for all that there are some likable, knowledgable people here who can point you in the right direction.
Thanks lueders.

I agree with the going overboard with Effects, and such. I mean, it all sounds great, and kudos to all the folks who put in that hard work to present a great product; it sounds great.

But, for me, I'm here to learn, and I don't mind the mistakes I make, cause that's what you all have to [EDITED] hear to give me any pointers. I mean, I could spend hours with filters and amps and such, but then there might not me as much constructive criticism. Don't know. But if I can get the quality up a bit with a decent mic, I do want to do that. Did I just run in a circle there? LOL :)

Yeah, I grew up in the 60s with Country, despite the fact the Beatles, Elvis, and my brothers were playing, what I called back then, crazy music LOL. Funny how time changes people's tastes (there's a country song in there somewhere, bro).

But yeah, the country I grew up learning is sad, but then that's the idea behind it, people relate to bad times, and if we refuse to learn from history we're doomed to repeat it.

Sunday Morning Coming Down is an awesome song (I like Johnny Cash's version). Man, people go through that stuff!! It's heartbreaking, but sometimes it helps to know it.

OK, off my soap box/

Mama tried to raise me better but her pleading I denied, that leaves only me to blame cause mama tried.

willem

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Btw Terry, Chet Atkins has taught Muriel Anderson this arrangement of 'Vincent' and of course through the years it has developed into an arrangement of her own, still it's very much based on Chet's version. Last year she was kind enough to share that arrangement here at TG, so there ís a lesson in Target for that. I truly love that arrangement as well, so it was really great to be able to learn how to play it. I'd say, check it out! :) :) Still, also Don Mclean's version is really a very nice song to fingerpick as well. Actually I really really love 'Vincent'! ;)

As for the Eagles....haha, yeah too many great songs, that's for sure, I wouldn't know which one to pick as well, although I did upload a few of my favorites here at TG already (Peacefull easy feeling, Doolin Dalton). Also a Bee Gees-tune would be great of course, with or without falsetto :P !

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll be great! :)

Ness

tombo1230

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 pm

tacticaltal wrote:
Hey Tom, thanks. Is there any free software out there for doing what you suggest? I'm Googling now, but if you can more info, I'd appreciate it.

What about Audacity; do you have any experience with it?

Have a look here Terry................ http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Audacity

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic