Busking Johnny Rivers

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

The recent FOTW video of Secret Agent Man with Fred prompted me to post this one. I picked it up, bought a drum track from the karaoke site, and then put together an audition recording and emailed it to Bassman Jerry to see if he was interested in doing it. He responded right away that we should do it, and this was the first run-through at the next rehearsal. This was at the end of August and we have worked on it a few times since then with our new drummer. It’s a lot of fun to play.

Hydroman52

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Yes I heard you say pretty good and so true,,,thx Rick and Jerry,so cool... and Rick loved that lead piece!!!

keep on busking..

Willem

P.S I wonder ,,do you two only play for yourself or do you play life also???

daryl

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Fantastic! Great fun.

Lavallee

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 pm

enjoyed that a lot guys. thanks for posting

Marc

buddy

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Now that was really fun, great job guys.

Bud

pbraun

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Wow when does the CD get released! Sounded fantastic!
Pete

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I just found the audition file that I first sent to Bassman Jerry. I’m going to try to attach it here in case anyone is interested. It is the drum track from the karaoke site and me playing guitar and singing x 2 (double tracking?). I had practiced the song for about two afternoons and then did this. For the technical part, I had a Tascam DR-40 lying on the computer desk in front of me and then recorded the first part (guitar and vocals) while the drum track played softly through my computer speakers in the background. I had stumbled on some of the lyrics, so I decided to record it again. I went for a second take, same as the first, and that turned out much better. I was curious what it would sound like if I just mashed everything (Take 1 guitar/vocals, Take 2 guitar/vocals, and karaoke drum track) together in Audacity, and this is what pooped out the other end. I usually don’t include anything other than myself x 1 and the drums in the stuff that I email to Bassman Jerry so that he has something uncluttered to practice against. Then, when we get together for a rehearsal, it’s sort of like we’ve been practicing together all along.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... tion_1.zip

Willem – Our rehearsals are pretty easy going. So far, all we’ve done is played for ourselves and whoever happens to be in listening range. Usually Jerry’s lovely wife, the dog, a deer, some squirrels, and sometimes the cat. One day, we plan on playing out.

Daryl – We always seem to find a way to do something fun at rehearsals.

Marc – Thanks for tuning in.

Hydroman52

totsyboy

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Nice job! Timing was really spot on despite some tricky slides and having to move up and down the neck. I guess the drum track helps with that. Very enjoyable.

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Hey Buddy – Thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed it.

Pete – Whoa . . . . slow down there hoss. No CDs for us. The things that I post here are the only stuff you’ll hear from us in a while . . . . . unless you are passing by the garage on a rehearsal night in the summer when the garage door is open. Of course, anyone who is passing by is welcome to join us as a guest star.

Totsyboy – Thanks for watching. You are right about the drum track. It’s difficult for me to play to a metronome (painfully boring). Buying a karaoke song with an isolated drum track is the way for me to go. We now have a real live drummer that sits in with us every other week, and it’s a blast having him there. But we still need something to play against when he’s not there, so we keep the tracks handy. It keeps everyone honest. I’m glad you enjoyed watching.

This next week, Jerry and I are taking a break from music. He and his wonderful wife are out in southern California sampling Mexican food, and my pup and I will be in South Dakota chasing pheasants around. If I’m unable to respond to comments, please don’t be offended. I’m not too sure if we’ll have an Internet connection.

Hydroman52

jayswett

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 pm

I always enjoy your videos. Always something for me to learn when I watch you play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic