Busking A little more blues

tovo

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Hey Tom. Yes I use the camera on my iPad but it is 2 way, so you can point it away from you or toward you. So there are no dramas with lining it up. It's an easy solution to reasonable sound. Thanks for commenting mate.

Speaking of sound, it was pointed out to me that I had some chorus going in the video. I intended to apply some reverb but not chorus. Probably detracted a bit from the sound I was going for.

michelew

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm

tovo wrote:
Shel thanks for those suggestions. In terms of sound it's a great, simple solution. You can buy a piece of kit called 'iRig' from Apple Store for something like $50 from memory, possibly less. You plug your mic into one end and plug the other into your iPad. Position the mic in front of your amp and use the iPad camera to record the video. The iRig has a gain control and increases the sound quality captured from your amp significantly. Worth the modest expense for sure.
Thanks for that Tony. It's really interesting that you use the iRig and that a HD one is coming out (thanks Den!). My set up is quite different so that won't work for me unless I buy a new microphone...and an amp... and... (? - well there's always something else isn't there). My mics are both USB mics and I don't have an amp. I use the amp/pedal emulators in GarageBand.

I have an iRig which I got some time ago. I originally purchased it to better capture the sound from my bass' pickup into GarageBand on my iPad. That worked OK for a while and then I found that I was increasingly having feedback issues. When I got my electric I almost deafened myself with a feedback spike and decided then and there to look for another solution, because I was either getting feedback or an unacceptable amount of noise in my recording. That's when I switched to the Apogee Jam, which has been working well for me (but I can't use the iRig specific apps any more such as the Amplitude - Fender amp, which is a shame.

The set up is obviously working for you so if I ever do get an amp and a normal mic I'll give it a go.

thanks

Shel

Craig

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey Tony,
Nice job! I thought it sounded great! Your slides were real clean and crisp, not easy to do. I also noticed that you are holding the pick exactly the way Neil teaches to hold it. It sounds like a simple thing but something I struggle with a little as it sometimes wants to slide down towards the tip of my index finger. It might seem like a little thing but the more I do this I find that the little things actually turn into the big things. ...
I got a little bit nervous when Tom asked you about the "rear camera" knowing that you sometimes video in the bathroom!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Craig

tovo

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Craig wrote:
Hey Tony,

I got a little bit nervous when Tom asked you about the "rear camera" knowing that you sometimes video in the bathroom!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Craig
lol! It's very true Craig, keep the rear camera the hell away from the bathroom is the lesson here! :laugh:

Thanks for the comment mate. Much appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic