Busking A little more blues

daryl

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 am

Tony, I've been thinking about trading my Les Paul for a Strat. Perhaps I'll get more serious about it now. What are the details or your strat?

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:07 am

Hey there Tony,

I'm enjoying these 'progress vids' and agree with others that you are markedly improving.
I like the blues as well and will be pm'ing you about what steps you're taking on your journey.

I've also been thinking about an electric as well.
Don't think it will be long before I have one..

tovo

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey Daryl. My Strat is an American Standard HSS. Just for the benefit of anyone who is interested but doesn't know, the HSS stands for Humbucker (at the bridge position) then Singles x 2. A 5 position switch allows for a really broad range of tones without adding any effects. This Standard is made in the California Factory which betrays my number 1 criteria of buying American made. Not for patriotic reasons obviously I just have a bit of a thing about it. Fender is an American icon so I'm not buying one made in Mexico or Japan, even though my head says that they are no doubt just as well made. I mean, if I were going to buy a Cadillac I wouldn't buy one made outside the USA either! The only other point I guess is the rosewood fingerboard. I much prefer the rosewood to maple. I bought this Strat new from my local store. I did consider ebay for the purchase but wasn't prepared to buy without playing, and there's something really special about a new guitar.

Al thanks mate. Very happy to chat with you about the blues.

daryl

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about "HSS". And I didn't notice that your fretboard was rosewood. I assume you also tried the maple neck. What did you think the differences were in terms of feel and sound between the two necks?

willem

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Good job Tony, nice to see you working your way through the blues! ;)

One question, you actually never use your pinky, why is that?

Ness

tovo

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Daryl yeah I tried the maple, I simply don't like the feel of it compared to rosewood. I think maple provides for a brighter tone.

Hey Ness thank's for commenting. I broke my pinky years ago and it healed at quite a significant angle in. That makes it really difficult to place down with any accuracy. I do use it now and then but more often use my 3rd finger because it's so much easier.

Lavallee

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 am

Hi Tony, sorry to be late. good improvement again on the fluidity and the bends. As others have mentioned a backing track would help to enhance that could timing you developped.

Marc

tovo

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Marc, a backing track will be used next time I update. Nice to 'see' you.

heyjoe

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Tony

Great video, you are progressing at quite a rate, its all getting a lot smoother.

I completely agree with Bears psychobabble, long bends are quite the time-killer and it can be awkward to know when to stop and lay the next note and keep in time.

Michelle mentioned she'd like to hear you playing to a backing track, and I'm with her on this one. There are lots of sites that provide free baking tracks at different speeds, different styles, so getting one would be easy. I know that you tube has them too, as I've used a few. Maybe type in something like slow blues drum track, pick the speed you want, and off you go. I just think it may help you become more fluid as a player. Also, leaving spaces between phrases can help too, especially in the blues.

Lovely stratocaster, I'm a strat man too, had the same one for best part of 30 years, she's a keeper will be with me till the end.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

p.s you said you were discovering new bluesmen, care to tell us who?

tovo

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 am

Hey Joe,

Thanks a lot squire!

I'm working now with a backing track. Next update will have backing.

Well, the people I'm discovering are not new...just new to me, but happy to divulge.

I'm listening a lot to a Scottish band called the Nimmo Brothers.
A band called the Buddaheads.
I'm trying to give Joe Bonamassa a good listen.
Gary Moore I am listening to heaps. (Not new just love him). I was playing him recently and a friend said "I'm going to see him next time he's here". "No you're not" I said.

All good stuff, BB and SRV still my go-to though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic