Busking A little more blues

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Pretty darn good Tony... you've even got the face work of the seasoned guitarist going for you! I can see why you bought the Strat... nice bending going on there.

Now where's that other video you posted today... wanted to pat you on the back there too... and cheekily suggest you tune that baby a little ;-)... or I may have to tune my ears, been a tiring week. Good on ya!

tovo

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:28 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Pretty darn good Tony... you've even got the face work of the seasoned guitarist going for you! I can see why you bought the Strat... nice bending going on there.

Now where's that other video you posted today... wanted to pat you on the back there too... and cheekily suggest you tune that baby a little ;-)... or I may have to tune my ears, been a tiring week. Good on ya!
It's not cheeky Chris, and not the first time I've been out of tune! :) I think the boys may have been playing with my tuners, I did notice it later. It bothers me that I haven't got a good ear for picking up when I'm out of tune right away, but the thing to take away is to check before recording! Cheers mate.

MarkM

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 am

Tony,

Strats and Teles Oh My.....................I thought that looked like another new guitar. You still have the Gretsch as well? You've got a nice little stable going on there. Oh the playing... Yeah you are certainly improviing with every new video you make. Your dedication on this path is very impressive Tony. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

tovo

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey Mark thanks for the comment mate. No, the Gretsch had to make way I'm afraid. Funny really. I sold it on ebay and got a decent price. I usually charge a price for postage the covers courier to cities all over Australia. It's not an expensive service so $50 usually covers it. Anyway, the winning bidder could not have come from further away. Far North Queensland (A place called Atherton to be very precise...look it up one day!) Anyway, I had already boxed the guitar up and measured the dimensions. The quote for postage was a whopping $260.00! Not wanting to spend my Strat money on postage, I did some repackaging and found a quote of $80 which was far more palatable.

Long story to a pretty simple question eh!

daryl

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

So Tony, how many electric guitars have you gone through so far? Just the two? Anyway, how does the Stratocaster play/feel compared to the other(s)? Is the strat a keeper?

Max

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Hugh improvement, much better flow....Maybe working with a rhythm track would help in the timing and flow of the lead.

BigBear

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Geez, Tony did Cindy buy you another guitar? Where do you find a wife like that? LOL! I want a wife like that!!

Really solid improvement. A couple of observations if you'd allow:

1. When you free form like that consider going back to a root note as either a starting or ending note in a measure or group of measures. The blues are the blues because of a lack of strict rules but sometimes it helps to play from a root note because it ties everything together. And it forms a foundation for the solo. Our ears are expecting to hear that root note and when it isn't there the riff or section can sound a bit disjointed. It also gives you the ability to play a riff within a song and finish at a logical point. I picked that up from watching Neil who is brilliant at always bringing his solos back to his foundation (before he starts another one) so it sounds very natural and thus satisfying.

2. You love the big, full note bends, or even 1-1/2 note bends. They are a really cool adornment but they are "timing killers". Maybe experiment a little with 1/4 and 1/2 note bends while still maintaining your rhythm. And gradually build up your bends until the big bends natural flow within the riff section.A bend creates tension within a riff and but there is also an expectation of the next note and when it will occur. The blues may be free flowing but they absolutely have a rhythm.

Okay, enough of my psychobabble. Keep up the good work and enjoy your new Strat!!

All the best, :cheer:

buddy

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Tony, I have been up in the wild for hunting season and missed this post. You are making some real progress my friend. Keep up the hard work because it is showing.

Bud

cosmicmechanic

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Tony, good going ... I feel that at this stage your blues-playing is beginning to show the sweat that lies behind it.

It then follows that your blues evolution will also show the blood and the tears ...

Great times to come, also !

Pierre

tovo

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey Daryl thanks mate. I'd say the Strat is a keeper, but I always say that. My heart has always said Gibson 335, but my fingers say the strat and tele win. I find them SO much easier to play and they feel right.

Thanks Max. Hear you on the backing track.

Thanks Bud, hope the time in the solitude was inspiring.

Bear thanks mate. Understand your point on root notes. On the licks where I didn't return it was because I blew it and just kept going. As a result some good licks, so not so good. Good points on the bends as well and I will note those. Psychobable? Never! :)

Thanks Pierre, it's all in the journey eh? The result is just a bonus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic