Well I'm learning a totally new lesson. One that I don't want

sbutler

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

While trying to unload a pallet of much needed subsistence Pepsi for the natives in a remote Alaska Village, I severely strained my shoulders. The pallet weighed 2300lbs and the only thing that gave when I yanked on the pallet jack, was my right shoulder. I've been injured, injured bad. Sadly, a big part of my life has had to come to a halt. I found that wrapping my arm around my lovely 814CE was making things worse. So I tried something new. I bought a guitar strap, and tried standing up. Sounds silly, but I'd never played standing up before. Well at least in the last 40 yrs.

Anyway, its enough of a change, that I am having a harder time than I ever dreamed I would have, by simply changing the angles by so little. I feel like I'm learning to play all over again. Not completely true obviously, but muscle memory being what it is, I'm learning something I didn't know.

So standing up has helped. Not completely but it has helped. I've had to cut my practice time down to just a few minutes here and there, then Ice, Ice, Ice. I hate this, but I ain't a quitter.

Scott

willem

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Pity a bout your shoulder Scott,,I am also not free from pain in back and shoulder but that comes when I play to long,,very long!! but i have so much to learn..

I bought me a smaller guitar and it really helps..

Wish you much healt and much guitar playing..damn pains..

Willem

michelew

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 pm

OUCH!!! Scott that sounds horribly painful. :S :blink: :S :(

On the bright side, at least you're getting a new skill out of it.

Who knew the Pepsi could be so hazardous? And at least you've got handy access to ice, you could channel your inner puppy and just roll in the snow for a while when you need ice, ice, ice baby. :)

I hope it heals quickly. Be kind to yourself. Don't overdo the playing. That might just draw out your misery longer.

Shel

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Gosh Scott, what a $#%@$@%# pain! So sorry to hear that. Shel is right, don't overdo it.

Hope things get better asap....!

Ness

sbutler

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks guys. Putting the breaks on something that provides so much pleasure is hard to do. My playing has also become an escape from reality (good or bad) it helps me put my mind in a better place than some of the other issues I face. So not playing is really tough. But if I hold back, I'm sure I'll heal faster.

Scott

BigBear

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Scott- that's awful to hear. I hope you recover soon. I know exactly how you feel because when I couldn't play after my hand surgery it drove me nuts and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. Still not 100%, maybe 75%, but I'm making progress.

I hope you will be able to rehabilitate your shoulder quickly and get back to a full range of activities with playing your guitar at the top of the list. Playing with a strap certainly changes your hand position. I don't recall if you are a singer but standing up will make you a much better singer.

All the best for a quick recovery and keep us posted on your recovery!

Cheers! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Scott
Sorry to hear about your shoulder.

I hope you mend soon Scott

Dermot

MarkM

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Scott I feel for ya. I'm sure if you give it the rest it needs and pop those advils you'll be better in no time. Good luck....

MarkM

daryl

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm

So sorry to hear of your pain. Willem may be right about using a smaller guitar (temporarily). Maybe something like Al's silent guitar: http://www.techi.com/2010/08/yamahas-si ... invisible/

Maybe you could rent one for a month or two from your local guitar shop? Or at least try it out to see if the pain is less.

Take care and heal quickly.

familyman4

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Hello Scott,

So sorry to hear about your accident! That grand auditorium guitar (814CE) will be missing you while you heal. If you decide to get a smaller guitar, I would suggest the Taylor Mini. I also have an 814CE but the mini is a great sounding little guitar, has less weight and is great for traveling. Probably be easier taking along on your flights around Alaska.

Get well!!!
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic