Busking Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks.

sabathiel

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
sabathiel Wrote:

My guitars are Cole Clark Fat Lady 2AC, Maton EM225C, Mini Maton EmL/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI classical nylon string guitar and Fender 12 string CD160CE. I'm trying to sell the Maton EM225C because I figured I don't need 2 Maton or 2 exactly same type of guitar (the EM225C Maton is the same type of guitar with the Cole Clark Fat Lady 2AC the difference being the Maton is solid top only and the Cole Clark is all solid body guitar).

Gosh, you have a good few guitars.
Do you have any preference of one over the other with respect to what your playing?
How much to you plan to sell the Maton for, that is if you don't mind me asking?

I see Maton have a custom shop have you ever been in it?

Well the custom Maton shop is in Melbourne. I am in the island State south of Melbourne called Tasmania. I'm sure you have heard of the cartoon character Taz the Tasmanian Devil which is based on a real animal in Tasmania.

I prefer the Maton's tone because it is louder and somewhat brighter than the Cole Clark. But I am keeping the Cole Clark because the CC I got is the upper side of acoustic guitars or CC guitars and it is all solid body. The thing with the CC is that it's wood is also the higher end of the wood here. It is solid spruce top and solid Tasmanian Blackwood while the Maton is solid spruce top and laminated Queensland Maple which is a lower end quality wood. But the tone of the Maton is still awesome regardless. The Cole Clark has a less brighter tone and a much more warmer gentler tone. I am keeping it because brand new the CC I got cost above $2,000 ( I got it mint condition for $1,250) while the Maton is only an entry level Maton guitar and is at lower end of all Maton guitars with a lower end pick up system. I bought the Mini Maton with the plan to busk with it because I don't want to take the higher end guitar outdoors for busking. At first I prefer the Maton tone over the CC tone but now the CC tone has grown on me after playing it quite a lot. I intend to sell my Maton EM225C at $900 the lowest but my starting price is $1,000 negotiable. It costs $1,359 brand new here at my local music shop while on eBay Australia the cheapest I can find is around $1,200. A friend of mine is interested to buy my Maton but he is waiting for his money to come in from his redundancy payment which he says will come out next month. He is not certain yet if he will buy it but he has already played it at my house and says he really liked the Maton.

You can check out the sound of my other guitars if you do a search on the busking threads. I have posted me playing all my guitars except for the Fender 12 string.

BTW Cole Clark guitars started around 2002 when two renegade Maton employees left Maton to set up Cole Clark guitars. They brought their knowledge from Maton and used it to create Cole Clark guitars. CC only make all solid body guitars unlike Maton. Maton's all solid body guitars start above $2,400 while CC lowest end guitars is around $1,200 and is all solid body guitar.

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Hello sabathiel

Thanks for the details of your guitars.
Sounds like a nice collection.
I'll have a listen to your other videos.

I have heard of Tasmania . I'm on the opposite side of the world in Scotland.

$900 for the Maton, that's about average for your secondhand Maton from what I've seen on the net and
probably good value if it's in mint condition.
I feel for your friend, being made redundant is not much fun, he may decide against the purchase.

Myself I only have two low budget guitars.
Hopefully I'll be able to treat myself something nice but i need to get the playing skill to appreciate
and expensive purchase.

Everyone advises that it's the best to learn on a quality guitar and that makes much sense.
but unfortunately I'm not in such a position financially.

Have you ever been to see Tommy Emmanuel play live?

sabathiel

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Yes $900 for the Maton is about market price for my Maton second hand. I paid around $970 early this year on eBay and that includes freight from Sydney to Tassie. My Mini Maton I bought from eBay last month $720 including freight from Sydney as well. However the seller would have gotten less of the final sale price because eBay charges around 8-9% fees from the final sale price. That is why I don't want to sell it on eBay yet unless I really have to.

I only started playing guitar properly (before this I only can play chords but not proper songs) since early last year when I bought a brand new Fender acoustic for $450 with a Fender hard case. I did not play the Fender very much but in Jan this year I bought my second hand Maton EM225C and I tell you having a quality acoustic guitar makes a difference to your playing. Since I got my Maton I played guitar almost every day and regularly practice because the sound makes you want to play every day and learning guitar becomes a very pleasurable experience. I have improved quite a lot since owing a quality guitar. My Fender was not even a solid top guitar and my Maton and CC put it to shame.

My friend was made redundant from one of his jobs. He still hold another job which is his main job. That is why I am hopeful he will buy my guitar but if he doesn't that's OK too because that means I still keep my Maton for a bit longer. I am selling it reluctantly because I need to pay off my Credit Card which I used to pay for my Mini Maton.

I have never seen Tommy Emmanuel live and I can't recall him ever coming to Tassie although I think his brother Phil who is also an excellent acoustic guitarist have been here before.

michelew

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 am

Hi from Sydney.

This is a great song and it really is a challenge to sing with it's long phrases. But you've met the challenge. Singing it a bit more smoothly might help you to relax into it a bit and make it easier to sing as Willem suggests.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying playing every day and progressing in leaps and bounds. It's really cool when you can play whole songs.

Thanks for the peak.

M

tovo

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am

sabathiel wrote:

I am in Oz.
Right, well that explains it! I've slapped myself around the head for having such poor attention to detail.

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:48 am

sabathiel Wrote:
I have never seen Tommy Emmanuel live and I can't recall him ever coming to Tassie although I think his brother Phil who is also an excellent acoustic guitarist have been here before.
I didn't know that.... so googled and there are lots of video of his brother!
Here's a great one of them together.....

Dermot

MarkM

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am

Very impressive singing and playing this so well at the same time. Nothing at all to be ashamed of here. I really enjoyed your performance on this one. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic