Busking House of Rising Sun

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
I think Bear is suggesting that you should. In the intro you play the first beat on the forth string of each chord (you later you do change strings/bassnotes), while it should be indeed A and C on the 5th string, D and F forth string, E sixth string.

:) :)

tacticaltal wrote:
BigBear wrote:
Terry- the key to this song is to always hit the right bass note and hit it with authority. You can't get sloppy and miss these notes without severely impacting this rhythm of the song.

You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord. In this song, the name of the chord denotes the correct bass note.

The other thing I noticed, and this is personal taste but I've been playing this song since I was 14 so I have strong opinions on it, is the arpeggio is played somewhat quickly on the downstroke and then straight back up more slowly on the upstroke. Straight down and straight back up. Don't miss strings or skip back up and play more downstrokes.

HOTRS is a very simple song that relies on great timing for it's musical impact. There is nothing fancy going on here but you have to be precise and deliberate.

You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and let us know how you are progressing. This song is mandatory for every guitarists' song book!

Cheers! :cheer:
Thanks, Rick, for some details there; this is the kind of hard-hitting advice I really like; great passion in your suggestions.

I have to ask, however, cause I didn't really understand if you were advising, or critiquing, when you said the following:
You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord.
I bolded the pronoun, because I don't know if you're saying that "that's what I was doing", or what I should be doing? Was I missing the correct bass notes there?

I know I missed some notes, but I think that's because I hadn't played it for awhile. I can do better.

LOL, I didn't realize that the song was mandatory :blush: :blink:

I take your advice to heart. Please followup with me.

Terry
Join in chat room Ness :)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/chat

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, Rick, your words were inspiring to me, as I went immediately to my guitar and found where I was missing the bass notes. Thank you for your advice.

Vanessa: Thanks for the help. I got it now, I think ;)

Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic