Busking House of Rising Sun

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:56 pm

I see I haven't played this for awhile. Pic away at the faults :)

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Terry,,first thing to say it was nice talking to you in the chat box and I ask you to upload your version of THOTRS,,well you said here in this post you'd haven't played it for a long time but i can see which style your doing,,I think the best way for you is the Animals version and there is a great breakdown from Neil on this version,,If you go through that I think you have it down again in no time...Its also a nice version for the transitions from chord to chord with playing everytime an open Gstring (third string)..maybe the the two sixteen notes they played is a bit difficult..

Cheers..thx

Willem

tacticaltal

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks, Willem. I'll look into it, IF I can get done goofing off on the chat and forums :)

BigBear

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Terry- the key to this song is to always hit the right bass note and hit it with authority. You can't get sloppy and miss these notes without severely impacting this rhythm of the song.

You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord. In this song, the name of the chord denotes the correct bass note.

The other thing I noticed, and this is personal taste but I've been playing this song since I was 14 so I have strong opinions on it, is the arpeggio is played somewhat quickly on the downstroke and then straight back up more slowly on the upstroke. Straight down and straight back up. Don't miss strings or skip back up and play more downstrokes.

HOTRS is a very simple song that relies on great timing for it's musical impact. There is nothing fancy going on here but you have to be precise and deliberate.

You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and let us know how you are progressing. This song is mandatory for every guitarists' song book!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 pm

BigBear wrote:
Terry- the key to this song is to always hit the right bass note and hit it with authority. You can't get sloppy and miss these notes without severely impacting this rhythm of the song.

You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord. In this song, the name of the chord denotes the correct bass note.

The other thing I noticed, and this is personal taste but I've been playing this song since I was 14 so I have strong opinions on it, is the arpeggio is played somewhat quickly on the downstroke and then straight back up more slowly on the upstroke. Straight down and straight back up. Don't miss strings or skip back up and play more downstrokes.

HOTRS is a very simple song that relies on great timing for it's musical impact. There is nothing fancy going on here but you have to be precise and deliberate.

You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work and let us know how you are progressing. This song is mandatory for every guitarists' song book!

You simply won't get better advice than this Terry. Rick has been helping me (and others) for years with great, detailed advice like this. I reckon you are well on your way with this tune and by following this advice you can only improve. Good luck with it.

BigBear

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:14 pm

tovo wrote:
BigBear wrote:

You simply won't get better advice than this Terry. Rick has been helping me (and others) for years with great, detailed advice like this. I reckon you are well on your way with this tune and by following this advice you can only improve. Good luck with it.

Thanks Tony, but, as always, you are much too kind!! :cheer:

suziko

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Terry,

No advice for you, but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the way you added the melody notes into this. I am going to have a go at that tomorrow!

Thanks for posting! Keep up the good work,

Suzi

Lavallee

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Good playing Terry such a good picking exercise. Great advices you got

Marc

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 am

BigBear wrote:

Thanks, Rick, for some details there; this is the kind of hard-hitting advice I really like; great passion in your suggestions.

I have to ask, however, cause I didn't really understand if you were advising, or critiquing, when you said the following:
You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord.
I bolded the pronoun, because I don't know if you're saying that "that's what I was doing", or what I should be doing? Was I missing the correct bass notes there?

I know I missed some notes, but I think that's because I hadn't played it for awhile. I can do better.

LOL, I didn't realize that the song was mandatory :blush: :blink:

I take your advice to heart. Please followup with me.

Terry

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 am

I think Bear is suggesting that you should. In the intro you play the first beat on the forth string of each chord (you later you do change strings/bassnotes), while it should be indeed A and C on the 5th string, D and F forth string, E sixth string.

:) :)

tacticaltal wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Thanks, Rick, for some details there; this is the kind of hard-hitting advice I really like; great passion in your suggestions.

I have to ask, however, cause I didn't really understand if you were advising, or critiquing, when you said the following:
You start on the fifth string (A) for the Am chord. Hit the same string again as a C in the C chord. Drop down to the 4th string (D) for the D chord and then hit an F on the same string for the F chord. Obviously, you will then hit the low E for the E7 chord.
I bolded the pronoun, because I don't know if you're saying that "that's what I was doing", or what I should be doing? Was I missing the correct bass notes there?

I know I missed some notes, but I think that's because I hadn't played it for awhile. I can do better.

LOL, I didn't realize that the song was mandatory :blush: :blink:

I take your advice to heart. Please followup with me.

Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic