Busking new toys - joys

michelew

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:25 am

Hey TG-ers,

I recently alluded to having received something that I might give you a peek at if I could get my act together. Pierre is right, sometimes getting something with strings attached is a GREAT thing. :) :) :)

Sue decided that there was something missing from my collection of guitars. Something that I would enjoy immensely and have a heap do fun with. Personally, I think she was also trying to give me a cooool transplant too. :) I'm now the very proud owner of a Fender Stratocaster, Placid Lake blue (model - I really have no idea). It is SOOOOO much fun. I'm loving it. I've been loving exploring the world of amps and effect pedals and all the crazy sounds you can get out of an electric too. Bends are the coolest. I don't have an actual amp or pedals yet, but my iPad and iPhone have been emulating them just fine. I've still got a stack to learn there. But, what a fun adventure. :) :) :)

So Nessa tells me that if you get a new guitar you MUST post a video of yourself playing it. So I started this thread. She also tells me that if you get an electric then you MUST learn Nirvana songs. Well who am I to argue with our resident muso superhero, she who makes masterpieces out of everything she touches. I'd have to be an idiot right. ......

... Well I've actually been a bit of a Contrary Mary with Ness a few times lately. I think the technical term is 'argumentative, know-it-all, pain in the butt'. Being the sweet woman she is, her reactions were a slightly exasperated but good-natured "you're terrible"and a sigh. Nessa, thank you for putting up with my crazy-making, insecure, smart arse side. Thank you for all your patience and sweet support. You are much sweeter to me than I deserve. I feel blessed to have even met you. You're a beautiful person.

So ... not only did Nessa suggest Nirvana, but she gave me some great advice about how to play it. I've tried to put it into this video. It’s really only a cobbled together bunch of samples. I've still got a lot to learn, and camera nerves have me playing with too big a strum, a balled fist and picking in crazy directions (but they really are powerchords) and loooooooots of timing issues. But hey! What a fun adventure.

Well I had fun. I hope you at least get a giggle. Just for something completely different, I'm looking very serious in this video. But, I'm having a BALL!!!

So if anyone's got a new toy out there that they haven't shown us yet, record it and chuck it in this thread or start a new one. It's a law. :)

Shel

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 am

Your cool Michele,, :woohoo: :blink: :dry: :huh: :laugh: B)

daryl

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 am

What a great new blue toy! Do you have "blisters on your fingers" yet from playing bends? Maybe we (you) can start a thread for trading "electric licks". I imagine Tony would contribute some. I've got a couple. And maybe some other TGers would jump in too. I'm guessing this was a birthday gift from Sue???? Maybe she'll get you a Marshall stack for the holidays????

willem

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 am

OMG :ohmy: ! It's official, you're toooooooooo COOL!!!! B) B) :cheer: :silly:

Haha, absolutely LOVED it! Who could've known, Shel on electric guitar playing Nirvana!!! :woohoo:

The Contrary Mary? Who, you :whistle: ?????! Haha! :laugh: :P

In any way, what a nice surprise on this very very windy day here in Holland, you ROCK WOMAN!!! :cheer: B) :kiss: :cheer:

Ness

Lavallee

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 am

Hey Michele, the multi-instrumentalist, what a nice surprise. Actually, I would say an expected surprise, your love for the guitar has been obvious since you first joined. I did not know you had an acoustic bass as well. Electric guitar and a pedal is really fun. Like you said all these crazy sounds and the best are the bends and the rock sound. It opens new musical horizon You are doing very well on Nirvana already : the sky is the limit.

Looking forward to your new musical project

Marc

Edit: was watching the video again and noticed how closed your hand is when you pick, very professional

dekotaj

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:30 am

Well if it not Miss Contrary Mary. :laugh: :laugh:

Yes,Shel,We all know how hard you are to get a long with.(SURE)
Nice strait.But Nirvana,Come on Ness!!!!Just kidding girl. :laugh: :laugh:
Loved it Sis!!got the bass going on.strumming those barr chords like a pro.On top for all that got some groovy sounds come from the pedals.Can't wait to see you rock out some more.But we got to talk about that classical guitar holding when your rocking out.You got the strap on,stand up and give us you best rock and roll face.And snarl at us. :angry: :angry:

BRAVO!!!SIS
YOU ROCK GIRL!!

Kev

P.S. PM me, I got one I think you would like.

dennisg

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 am

Haha ... I love this video! You with your guitar face and new toy. Come to think of it, it's the same face you make when you play all those other instruments, too.

A huge congratulations on your new toy -- I so look forward to hearing the fantastic sounds that come out of it.

buddy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

Way cool, what a good looking guitar, time to drive all the neighbors out, CRANK IT U-P !

Bud

tovo

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Well, simply awesome in its awesomeness. The little uke would be a bit miffed I think, not getting to make an appearance, but hard to work the uke into Nirvana no doubt. I like Daryl's lick thread idea...you start! Great work, terrific to see the new instrument and also great to see you with a huge smile (on the inside) ;)

michelew

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone! I love this community. Where else can I play Nirvana and get away with it. :) I told me team at work I was learning Nirvana and they had a good giggle. It was hilarious actually. Well I also got "you're a dark horse Michele". :) I like that I can still surprising them.

Willem - thanks mate, cool is definitely good. Though icy (my expression) might have been closer to it. Thanks.

Daryl - I'm glad you liked it. Yep it was a birthday present. Lucky is me. No blisters yet. Actually I've been surprised how light the strings are (I think they are 9s) what do you use? 10s have been recommended to me :) Cool idea for a thread. It's the working week here now so it may take me a while. Plus I've got to lean something let alone record it and work on my rock face. :) feel free to kick it off. You know you want to.

Nessa - WOW!!! Well your comment has put an ENORMOUS smile on my face. I rock. Woo hoo Thank you. :) :) :) you're the sweetest.

Marc - Thanks! I LOVE seeing you rock. I think I'll need to study your videos. And I LOOOOVE bending. It's SO much fun. My hand...curious...I've been trying to open it out. I think I originally closed it up to get my nails out of the way, because I was having problems with my nails catching the strings on the occasional upstroke. I've been trying to open it out more so that I can get muting happening better, which I'm still working on. :) thanks. :)

Kevin - thanks! :) :) :) you're so right about the guitar face. I was thinking that while I was editing the video. Ooooooooh so serious, where's the rock spirit. I'll work on that. Actually, maybe I should get my daughter over to help me, she's got long hair too and plays the guitar these days, she can do the hair flicking thing and I'll snarl. (Then giggle) then snarl again. I can't wait to hear what you've got in mind.

Den - thanks! Haha! That's not the only guitar face I have, I've got a grimace too and I do a mean 'dear in the headlights', I've also been know to channel Santa. Thanks sweet man. :)

Buddy - hey buddy. Thanks. I'd SO love to get an amp and to crank it up. My neighbour has been driving me crazy with building noise. In an apartment that's murderous. Thanks.

Tony - thanks! Awesome is awesome to hear. You know Eddie Vedder CAN rock out on a uke. :) maybe I'll learn one of his. :) feel free to kick off the riff thread.

Thanks everyone. You ALL ROCK!

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic