Busking Ralph McTell

buddy

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Wow Tony, this is really well done. Much more relaxed and played on tempo. Love the vocals as well.

Bud

michelew

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey Tony,

That was rock steady and your voice is good for this song. You did a great job of achieving your performance mission; fabulous engagement. I really struggle with that, my playing falls apart a bit when I do it. I can learn a thing or two from you.

I have a question for you though, how does a man with so many hats manage to burn his noggin? :) ouch!

Thanks for the peek.

L

Shel

tacticaltal

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

That was very nice, Tony. I didn't hear anything wrong with this tune, even though you sometimes peeked at your left hand. But I don't know if that's bad. I find myself looking at both hands from time to time. If you're preparing to go on stage, then I understand focusing on the cam, but I don't think anyone could get me on stage without a rope, tar and feathers.

Good job, man.

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:13 am

Excellent job Red... No great issue with looking at your left hand in my opinion, even the greats still do that, so no biggie mate. I think you achieved your purpose of engaging the audience exceptionally well maintaining a steady tempo throughout top job mate well done.

tovo

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 am

Marc, thanks mate. Yes it is hard and the reason I chose a tune I know. It rams home that one must know the tune very well or be very confident and experienced to actually 'perform'. A very good exercise for me.

Bob, thanks pal, appreciate your comment and support

Bart thanks mate, yes the Taylor is a beauty. Too good for me but no complaints!

Thanks Buddy much appreciated.

Hi Michele. It's tough no doubt. Gives me great respect for those individuals here who are excellent at engaging and telling he story. The sunburn is bad no doubt. A result of wanting to get the boat out on the water so badly that I forgot the zinc. The sun bounces off the water and is really vicious. Not a good look, nor is it good for the health. More careful next time for sure.

Thanks Terry. Yeah I agree I don't think a glance at the fret hand now and then is too big a deal. Thanks for your comment.

Chas hopefully "Red" won't catch on as a nickname! Thanks for the constructive remarks.

rapsidy

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 am

Wow! Some major improvements there Tony!!!!! :cheer:

Yes, I'm of course talking about the 'engaging thing'. :P So how hard was that after all??

Also very good job on the singing, it's not the easiest one, I mean phrasing wise, so it proves you do have the playing under very good control, well done!

One thing about the playing, you consistently play the F-chord with a C bassnote, so please mind that tiny (but important) little thingie.

Oh when shooting your next video, don't forget the path you have taken here, I mean the performing one, don't fall back into the comfort zone for that matter. ;)

Way to go Tony!!! :cheer:

Ness

tovo

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 am

Thank you very much Ness. It's your advice that I was following here with the performing thing, so I'm glad you see the improvement in it. I'll watch the F chord mistake also. Thanks a lot for the inspiration and the encouragement. I'll try to continue to go forward!

mark

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 am

I thought that was really good.
It's a great song and you did it justice.

Good steady picking all the way through and good singing.
I don't try and sing many songs but I find this one really difficult - always running out of breath before the words end.

Catman

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am

Well done Tony!

I feel that one should occasionally look away from the camera, even if one doesn't need to look one's hands or the lyrics, etc. Staring fixedly at the camera can be a little spooky. So performance-wise, I think that was pretty darn good and the occasional glance away from the camera makes you more appear more natural and relaxed rather than less.

Other than the F/C issue that Nessa mentioned, the only thing bothering me about this video is the great big microphone in the foreground...

David

tovo

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Mark, really nice to hear from you, haven't seen you for a while. Thanks for commenting.

David, I'm hearing you on the mic. It bothered me as well, I need to try and position it a little more carefully.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic