Busking Ralph McTell

Yamaha48

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 pm

hi Tony.
Good to see this video,nice playing and singing i like it my friend.

cheers Anton

dennisg

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 pm

First, let me just say that it's great to see you playing acoustic guitar again -- I've really missed it. I don't begrudge you your foray into electric blues, but I love seeing that gorgeous koa Taylor in your hands.

Second, this is probably the best job you've done engaging the audience in your performance. I know that's no easy thing, because as you stare into the camera, you tend to hear the ocean roaring in your head, and it's difficult to concentrate on anything. (Wait'll you get in front of a live audience for the first time!) So I really appreciate the strides you've made in this area. Whether it's playing engagingly in front of a camera or an audience, there's no substitute for practice. You're off to a great start.

Third, your playing and singing are solid and confident on this song. Very well done.

suziko

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Like everyone else, I think you did a really nice job with this song. Really steady, comfortable picking, and your singing sounds very confident and soulful. I really like how you tried harder to engage with the camera. Well done on that. In response to Daryl's query, I think at this point you're looking at your left hand simply as a reflex. I know that when I'm doing a video I sometimes start feeling like i'm looking at the camera TOO much and don't want to come off as some weirdo, staring everyone down. So I start looking elsewhere, and oftentimes that "elsewhere" is my hands, even though I don't need to look at them! I like the suggestion of looking over the camera or off to the side a bit. It's worth a try! But, really, this is great. Nice job, Tony!

Suzi

tovo

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Thank you Anton, good to see you back here.

Den, thank you. The focus here was very much on preparing for a live performance. I have had a couple of little glimpses into performing for an audience and the engagement is very important both for their benefit and for my own confidence. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments on this. Thanks again.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey Tony, I remember you posted this tune maybe over a year ago, and it's great to have a point of comparison.
Of course, this version is way improved ... this tune can lend itself to either a bouncy or a more poised delivery, as you do here.

Whatever approach taken, it takes some doing to keep the rhythm constant over the whole duration, so good job there.

And a bit of sunburn can be interpreted as a bit of a hobo look, so you must belong to the "method acting" school of performers.

Remember I told you I was sticking it out on this tune on the more complex finger picking as tabbed out by Neil ?
That has made it kind of different for me, but great fun over the long haul as well. Am getting there.

Anyway, you achieved pretty much all that is necessary for this tune to work.
I am quite impressed ... a no frills and earnest performance.

Pierre

dekotaj

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm

BRAVOI!!Tony,

You played the nickers off that song.

Kev

tovo

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Suzi, I laughed at the image you put in my mind of a weirdo staring at the camera. I think it is good to look away now and then, but as Daryl suggested, a look to the side might be a better option. Thanks muchly for the comment.

Pierre, I look forward to seeing your version. I am working on so much stuff now that I find precious little time for anything other than basic versions of tunes, but I agree that this is a tune that lends itself well to several levels of detail and I think the effort you are putting in will be well worth it.

Thanks Kev, I appreciate your encouragement.

Craig

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

Tony,
Sorry I'm a little late to this. Very well done on a great song. As others have pointed out, the playing was nice and steady and sometimes I think a more basic version of a song is better when there is a story being told in the lyrics. Your singing was solid as well. Nice job.

Craig

tovo

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey Craig thanks for commenting mate. I haven't really progressed the playing at all, but I'm happy with the progress if hat makes sense? Thanks again.

tombo1230

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Tony, really nice job, very mellow relaxing song. You seemed to have it under control. Played and sung well with ease and feeling.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic