Busking Ralph McTell

tovo

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 pm

I wanted to have another go at this tune for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've been thinking a lot lately about those less fortunate, and I often think of this tune when I'm in that frame of mind. Second, inspired by Ness, Dennis and Chris and many others (as I often am) I wanted to focus a little on trying to improve my performance in front of the camera, hoping that it would get me out of the habit of focusing overly hard on what my left hand is doing. I'm still picking this in a basic manner, and very happy for any comment. If this one is no good there's another a few posts down.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Wow Tony,,I got no words,,If I could do it your way I was very pleased,,, geeee..fine,,fine Job

Q,,how long do you play this song ?

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Hey Tony, that was really good, very evenly played and gently sung with a good steady look into the camera. Great job!
The only suggestion I have off the bat is tip the camera down a degree or too so we see more guitar and your right hand and maybe boost the volume a bit. Otherwise, all good!!

familyman4

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Sorry to say that I cannot hear it. I even have an external speaker on my laptop but it is only coming through very softly. Definately boost the volume please. Your presence was very good but I'm not very good at reading lips :)

Bart

daryl

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Well I'm very impressed. Not only do I find having the camera aimed at my face uncomfortable, but I can't EVER imagine engaging with it (and the audience beyond it). Good for you Tony. My question for you is, since you seem to know how to play the song without thinking, why do you go back to watching your fretting hand? Perhaps, instead of going back to look at your hand, you might try looking beyond/over the camera, or to the left or right of the camera. It seems that when one sings to the camera, the lyrics take on more meaning to the singer. Nice.

dtaylor

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I've always loved the tune and you really did it justice. That was a subtle, delicate rendition, and you conveyed the emotion you were looking for, that can only come when the listener is completely at ease with the playing and singing and you did that just beautifully.

tovo

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm

I've fixed the volume issue (I think), thanks for pointing it out. I've replaced the initial video with this new one.

Willem, I've played it on and off for quite a while, pretty much started dabbling with it when Neil did the lesson on it.

Thanks Chris, I think I've fixed the volume, can't change the picture. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Cheers Bart, hopefully you can hear it now. I can't read lips either! :)

Thanks Daryl. Yeah, can't help having a little look every so often! :)

Dean thank you. I always enjoy your videos and I'm glad you liked this one.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Very nice Tony, you obviously have this song under control. I have never paid attention to look at the camera until recently. It really throws a curve at you, a definite extra challenge. Something else to work at. I just took for granted that the ones who were looking at the camera had just an easy relationship with the camera. With your video and comments it is clear that it needs a perfect knowledge of the song. Like what Neil's have been talking about you are in control of a song when can play a song and sustain a conversation (or have facial and body language sent to the camera).

Excellent work

Marc

BobR

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Tony

Very well played and sung IMHO and I thought you did a nice job engaging the audience.

Bob

familyman4

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Thank you for fixing the sound! You did a really nice job with this song. I could tell that the song has a deep meaning for you. The presentation was very personal and even though your audience at the time was a camera, it is now all of us that are blessed to have shared your feelings and emotion.

Thank you very much!
Bart

P.S. Love the Taylor guitar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic