Busking Doc Watson

auntlynnie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:42 am

I originally posted this on my Intro thread, but Vanessa suggested I post it here.

This is an old favorite of mine, Deep River Blues.

My challenge is that I pretty much memorized the tab and never really learned what was going on musically in the song. So my goal is to kind of deconstruct the song, really get to understand it from the basic chords, and then move on to changing, adding , embellishing it, maybe even improvising some day.

But here it is.
youtu.be/cy4RWKsR-oo

Lynn

willem

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 am

auntlynnie wrote:
I originally posted this on my Intro thread, but Vanessa suggested I post it here.

This is an old favorite of mine, Deep River Blues.

My challenge is that I pretty much memorized the tab and never really learned what was going on musically in the song. So my goal is to kind of deconstruct the song, really get to understand it from the basic chords, and then move on to changing, adding , embellishing it, maybe even improvising some day.

But here it is.

Lynn

Oeps,,just a bit help..

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Lynn,

Welcome! Glad to see you posting a video so soon. Bravo and well done. I would guess that you've listened to Pat Donahue on the Prairie Home Companion Show. Just a hunch.

Thanks for posting.

Hydroman52

daryl

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Lynn, Very nice playing. Smooth and controlled. I'm looking forward to more of your uploads!

But on a side note....it looks like you didn't use the Busking uploader to upload your video. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't see "Doc Watson" listed in the list of "Band Names". For your next upload just go to www.totallyguitar.com/busking and then either choose an existing "band" or scroll to the end of the list of "bands" and choose "add a new band" and then enter the "band name" in the blank field on the right.

Daryl

dennisg

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 am

Great job, Lynn. You're off to a flying start. And, yeah, it reminds me, too, of something Pat Donahue might play on Prairie Home Companion. He was one of the instructors at guitar camp this past summer. Awesome player.

auntlynnie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Daryl,
You are absolutely right, I wasn't able to use the uploader because my movie was in an unacceptable format (.MOV). I am trying to figure out how to convert to a different format.
And I wasn't able to add another band because I wasn't actually uploading a video, I was just posting a link. Argh. And I was too impatient to wait for help. :(

Lynn

familyman4

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Good Job Lynn,

Doc Watson, there's a flatpicker if there ever was one. The song sounded really nice. Glad you got to spend some quality time with Neil. I was there on the same day but was just passing through and stopped to say hello, and shake the hand of "the man".

Keep up the good work and have a blast exploring the TG site.

Welcome again...
Bart

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Very nicely played Lynn... I really like that tune and you have it well under control... nice to see/hear you and welcome to the video poster's club!
Chris

Craig

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Lynn,
That was great! Welcome to the site. You are light years ahead of me so I wouldn't be able to offer suggestions, only to say "way to go". The good thing is that players like yourself inspire me to keep working, so thank you for the inspiration. I look forward to more posts from you. I'm sure you will find the site to be all that you hope for.

Craig

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Lynne

Welcome to TG.

That's a great video.

Really enjoyed your playing and look forward to your next video.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic