Busking Early Rock Songs

dennisg

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 pm

You've just gotta love a song that was covered by everyone from the Ventures to Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass to Alvin & the Chipmunks to AC/DC to the White Stripes -- and an assortment of notables in between. The only reason I can figure why the song was so popular is that it's just plain fun to sing. (Whether it'll be fun for you to listen to is another matter entirely.)

Love Potion No. 9 is the story of a starved-for-love guy who visits a gypsy in order to get women to be more attracted to him. (I mean, who hasn't done that? Right, Tony?) She reads his palm, then mixes up a batch of love potion for him. After trying it, the man discovers that the potion has pretty much the reverse effect of what he expected: instead of everyone being attracted to him, he's attracted to everyone else. And when, in his delirious state, he kisses a cop, the cop breaks the bottle of love potion. (I hate it when that happens.)

A little-known fact about this song is that, in true American style, it was banned from the radio when it was first released, due to its reference to kissing a cop. Just imagine if the song were written today. Go ahead ... I'll wait.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I liked it Dennis,,I remember the song,,If the song was written today,well,,no problem I think,,Here in Holland we kiss cops every day.. or something like that.

Willem

daryl

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Fun Fun Fun. Great song. Well done all around Dennis. Thanks for sharing!

buddy

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Way to rock out Dennis really fun watching you play and sing this tune.

Bud

suziko

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Dennis! Nice to see a new video from you! That song is such fun and you did a great job with it. I especially like the little slide part and how you changed up the dynamics throughout the song.

Hard to believe this song was banned. It seems so innocent these days!

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 pm

That was neatly done Dennis, you were really into it! Nice piece of strumming to fit the vocals, all in all you pull folks into the song. It's the first time I have actually paid attention to the lyrics... kissed a cop? missed that all these years!
Another great performance. Thanks for the inside dirt on Tony... we can all keep a secret! :laugh:

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Dennis- great upload!

I know the song- but it wouldn't necessarily be on my radar if you hadn't done it, so thanks!

Your guitar looks & sounds great as well. Which one is that?

**edit- I went to the :20 second marker in your video where you drop your hand..
It's the 12 fret guitar!
(right?)

dennisg

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Willem: When you're as stoned as the Dutch are, you'll kiss anything.

Daryl: Thanks for the comment. It's always fun to have a few easy strummers in your back pocket.

Buddy: Nice to see you here, Bud. I appreciate it.

Suzi: The slide from F to F# was a little tricky at first, but once you figure out how much pressure to apply, it gets easier.

Chris: Very nice of you to say. This is about as easy a song as I've ever posted, but a lot of fun.

Al: You're right, it's the 12-fret grand concert ... a joy to play. Come to camp next year and you can spend as much time with it as you want. Oh yeah, we'll be there, too.

NKenny

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Very nice Dennis, that brought back a lot of memmories of a younger time playing in a garage band

tombo1230

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Well done Dennis! That was looking like a whole lotta fun!

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic