Busking Early Rock Songs

michelew

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:33 pm

I LOVE it! You sure know how to make a woman smile. Great energy, great slides, great vocals and I really enjoyed the ending.

Poor cops... No kissing for them....

This is why I come to the forum. You're an inspiration to me den and remind me in so many ways that playing is all about having fun and making a connection. I love the way you take these classic songs and squeeze their essence into an energetic one man show.

I love your work, ... Showman. :) thanks for the smiles.

Shel

tovo

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Alright so girls were having trouble seeing what they were missing so I went to a Gypsy. So what? Up until now it was my edge...now every loser will be doing it!

Anyway....great performance Den. You nailed it and made it very enjoyable. It would be a great hit at an open mic, is that what you have in mind?

You really nailed the little nuances that make it an interesting performance. Great stuff.

willem

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 am

Den, now that was superCOOL!! :cheer: B) Loved everything about it!! How cool and gosh what a story, haha! :laugh: Funny enough I don't think I know the song, but I can imagine that it's fun to sing and play. Anyway, very much enjoyed your vid, also I just loved to see you again, thanks!!

Ness

Craig

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 am

Dennis,
That was great! What a nice way to start my morning! Your slides and hammers were really well done. You made it into much more than an "easy strummer". Thanks for sharing. That would be a good open-mic song that everybody would enjoy and get into. Well done all the way around!

Craig

dennisg

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Kenny: Good to hear from you. Thanks.

Tom: Yeah, this is definitely one of the more fun songs I've played.
You sure know how to make a woman smile. Great energy, great slides, great vocals and I really enjoyed the ending.
Michele: You just described my sex life back in the '70s. But seriously, thank you so much for your very enthusiastic response to the song. I get a lot of pleasure out of taking these simple old songs and making them my own. You're such a sweetie.

Tony: That would explain your arrest for assault with intent to kiss. Yeah, this song is going directly to the open-mic stage. I'll let you know when that happens. And thank you so much for your generous comment.

Ness: Haha ... yeah, it really is kind of a funny and oddball story -- but there were a lot of those back in the late '50s and early '60s. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Craig: Thanks, pal. It's one of those songs I can imagine will inspire a lot of smiles the moment I launch into it at an open-mic. I'm looking forward to that.

BobR

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Dennis,

That was very fun to listen to, and it sounded really cool too. Overall I think you did a great job.

Thanks for posting

Bob

BigBear

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Great job Dennis! I particularly enjoyed your vocals. But your guitar work was really solid too. As always!!

The only problem is I remember when the Searchers first released this song in 1964 although I don't think they wrote it. Geez, I'm getting old! LOL! At least they call it "classic" and not "old" rock!!!

Well done and thanks for sharing!! :cheer:

dennisg

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Bob: Nice of you to say. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Bear: What a surprise, Rick! I'm honored -- thanks very much for your nice comments. This is one of the many hits written by Lieber and Stoler, but it was first recorded by The Clovers, whose version I still believe is the best one. The Searchers dumbed the song down, yet had the big hit with it. Timing is everything, I guess.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am

Bravo!!!!!!

Great song choice Dennis.What a great old tune. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass,WOW dose that take me back some.I don't remember them covering that song.Going to have to go check that one out.

BRAVO D!!
Kev

P.S. That video sure had us looking up to you.HA HA

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm

dennisg wrote:
... Love Potion No. 9 is the story of a starved-for-love guy who visits a gypsy in order to get women to be more attracted to him. (I mean, who hasn't done that? Right, Tony?) ...
I guess gypsies will do when you don't have a genie around. Genies are the best, but the "3 wishes" constraint is notoriously treacherous for resulting in a self-sabotaging combination. I guess it's a guy thing, since the plethora of genie jokes out there seem exclusively male-oriented, and the punch line is often unexpected anatomical disadvantage for the wisher who thought to outsmart the genie.

But it seems gypsies aren't idiot-proof either. Maybe the potion was for external use only, like, a dab behind the ears?

Dennis, that was a really entertaining performance. Lots of subtleties and variations in the strumming and picking, and your voice is quite nice here. Interesting video angle, with the darker background.

It's always a treat when you do these. Keep'em coming :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic