Challenge Board - calling all challengers and challenge seekers

michelew

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 pm

One of the many things I LOVE about TG is seeing the creativity of the community (creativity in all it's forms). The video uploads demonstrate what a talented, passionate and supportive community we have here. I really enjoy seeing people's progress in learning TG songs in the videos for review. There have been lots of fabulous busking videos.

I find the forum can be the most fun to return to when people are suggesting and rising to challenges. The 3 or 4 chord busking thread was a classic for that and GREAT fun to contribute to and watch. I hope it gets resurrected soon. I have some ideas I hope to get to. The original Beatles busking thread challenge was the beginning of all of the frivolity; thank you Chris. :)

Gosh does anyone remember the early TG competitions? Design a TG t-shirt, prepare a TG promotion video (the image of Al sitting in his dressing gown hassling some poor guitar teacher in the early hours of the morning still cracks me up). And then there's the compose a new song to an old progression challenge that Neil issued. Fun too. :) Stuart's video still gets me too. :)

So I'm starting this thread as a way of harvesting and storing ideas for new challenges. Here's my idea about how this thread could work.

- If you've got an idea for a new busking thread challenge that you'd like to give people a heads up on because it may take you a while to record your own contribution and get the busking thread started, post it here.

- if you need a new challenge, an idea for your next video or the next lesson you should tackle, post it here. (Be specific about what you're looking for).

- if a new TG lesson has caught your attention and motivating you in a major way and you'd like to challenge others to give it a go and post their progress, post it here,

- if you've got an idea for a collaboration and you're looking for other participants and/or you'd like help refining the project, post it.

Ok that should be enough to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

Let's kick this quiet period in the butt and get the party going again. :) :) :p

Challenge from me to all - Prominent baselines

I've been trying to improve my bass skills and I though it would be fun to do a "prominent bass lines" busking thread. I have a specific song in mind, one I started recording a while ago. My technique has improved since then, so I'll be starting the process from scratch. I hope to start recording again this weekend. So if anyone's up for a new challenge, put your thinking caps on. It doesn't have to be a separate bass part (a multi-track song) just a song where the bass notes are important and prominent.

Challenge to long time members who we've never heard

How about starting a "breaking the ice" busking thread. if you've never posted a video but would like to, post one even it it's just you saying hello, telling us about yourself and showing us your favourite guitar. You don't even have to play anything. Go for it. Break the ice. We don't bite;

Challenge from Daryl, posted in an email to me:

What we haven't seen much of lately are true collaborations within the TG community. Maybe you could pose that as a challenge?

So have you got a challenge? Want one? Want to contribute something to one here? ... Well what are you waiting for? You know what to do. :) :) :) :p

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 am

Gosh Shel..... :ohmy: :dry: :P ;) :cheer:

Well I certainly need to think about it, but already I'd like to point out how much I appreciate your attempts here. It's true, sómeone needs to do that here and there. :) Thanks!

Ness

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:07 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Gosh Shel..... :ohmy: :dry: :P ;) :cheer:

Well I certainly need to think about it, but already I'd like to point out how much I appreciate your attempts here. It's true, sómeone needs to do that here and there. :) Thanks!

Ness
Thanks Nessa! I'm so glad you get it.

Hey! Perhaps you could challenge me to starting a new thread using less than a million words. :) :p

I SURE hope you'll be inspired by something that gets put up here, or is here already. I can't get enough of your playing and singing. :kiss:

Shel.

suziko

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 am

Gosh does anyone remember the early TG competitions? Design a TG t-shirt, prepare a TG promotion video (the image of Al sitting in his dressing gown hassling some poor guitar teacher in the early hours of the morning still cracks me up). And then there's the compose a new song to an old progression challenge that Neil issued. Fun too. Stuart's video still gets me too.

Haha, this is too funny. I just posted in your other thread and linked to Stuart's competition video! Synchronicity, Shel! :) And, yes, I sure loved Al's video, where he wakes his instructor up in the middle of the night. I wonder if that's still somewhere on YT?

I love your zeal, Shel, and I will definitely give it more thought. I haven't posted a video in about a year, so maybe I should really consider doing one soon. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Shel!

Suzi

willem

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Each day is an challenge,,I just should turn the camera on.. :laugh: B)

I'm on the corner this weekend..

Willem

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Willem,

I hear you and I REALLY know what you mean.

What does "I'm on the corner this weekend mean"? It could be you'll be in a taxi waiting for fares, or perhaps you'll be busking somewhere.

M.

willem

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

michelew wrote:
Willem,

What does "I'm on the corner this weekend mean"? It could be you'll be in a taxi waiting for fares, or perhaps you'll be busking somewhere.

M.

No Its you dear Lady,,your upload and challenging us or inspirate,,, ;) B)

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

suziko wrote:
Gosh does anyone remember the early TG competitions? Design a TG t-shirt, prepare a TG promotion video (the image of Al sitting in his dressing gown hassling some poor guitar teacher in the early hours of the morning still cracks me up). And then there's the compose a new song to an old progression challenge that Neil issued. Fun too. Stuart's video still gets me too.

Haha, this is too funny. I just posted in your other thread and linked to Stuart's competition video! Synchronicity, Shel! :) And, yes, I sure loved Al's video, where he wakes his instructor up in the middle of the night. I wonder if that's still somewhere on YT?

I love your zeal, Shel, and I will definitely give it more thought. I haven't posted a video in about a year, so maybe I should really consider doing one soon. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Shel!

Suzi
That is funny. It just proves Suzi that great minds think alike. :)

And WHAT a piece of creativity, from Stuart. WOW!

And a year! That's WAY too long. No wonder I'm having withdrawals! :)

Glad to be of service. B) And I'm reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally looking forward to seeing what your post. Woo hoo! :) :) :)

Shel

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm

willem wrote:
michelew wrote:
Willem,

M.

No Its you dear Lady,,your upload and challenging us or inspirate,,, ;) B)
Yeh!!! :) cool. That's good to hear...if I understand you correctly.

Have fun.

Shel

reiver

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Who IS that talented young man?

Nice thread, Shel. There is no doubt that TG is a great place to come for song lessons and as a reference for any holes in our knowledge of theory but it feels like it could be a lot more. I'm sure it used to be. While the high quality - and quantity - of the lessons has been maintained it feels like the other stuff has been allowed to slide. Our toys were taken away and we were turned from a community back into a group of individuals who happen to share a specific web browsing habit. It's hard to work out what the advantage was in doing that but it didn't feel like it was accidental. I know that these things naturally peak and trough but there can be little doubt that there is a general downward trend in the use of the forum. And it feels like the general lethargy around the forum may be hard to turn around. I have a couple of ideas for challenges that I think could be fun for people to try out but I'm not sure how much of an appetite there is for them. Maybe we'll find out through the number of responses here.

Apologies if I'm just repeating what others have said elsewhere.

Good luck on your noble quest, Shel.

S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic