Challenge Number 2 - Answering Machine

Craig

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Dennis,
Very cool, very clever! Just what I would expect from you! Well done!

Craig

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I've been working on Phillip Phillip's 'Home' for a bit now.
The lyrics were begging to be changed..

Hold on, I can’t get to the phone
Am I in the shower, or just stringing you along
May be away, or just ignorin’ your call
Just know I’m not at home
Leave a message at the tone.

Settle down, it’ll all be clear
Don’t pay no mind to my singing, if it fills you with fear
Telemarketers they do drag me down
So just get lost, I will never be found.
Just know I’m not at home
Leave me a message at the tone.

michelew

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Al - WOW! OMG that's really beautiful and clever too. How DO you do it?

Stu - over a thousand views and a tonne of fantastic videos. I think this challenge is officially a MONSTER of a success. I'm just LOVIN' everyone's enthusiasm. It's so much fun to watch.

daryl

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Al - AMAZING!

tombo1230

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Wow I turn around for 5 minutes and this thread goes wild. Loving the creativity shown by everyone. Very entertaining so far guys and gals. :)

Tom N.

reiver

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Dennis - Loved this and agreed wholeheartedly with every word. I know my mother would too. When I call her I have to start speaking within about 3 seconds of her picking up or she just hangs up. Many times I've been half way through saying "hi, mum....." and the line goes dead. A special mention also for managing 2 rhymes with telemarketer!

Al - another great bit of creativity and loved the backing whistler! If I can get boringly technical for a minute...........is the guitar plugged in or is it all recorded through the mic?

reiver

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 pm

michelew wrote:

Stu - over a thousand views and a tonne of fantastic videos. I think this challenge is officially a MONSTER of a success. I'm just LOVIN' everyone's enthusiasm. It's so much fun to watch.

Hi all

Can I just say a quick thank you to everyone who took the time watch - and especially those who took the time to comment - on my effort. I'm glad I helped put a smile on some faces.

On a more general theme, can I also say another thank you to everyone who has joined in the fun so far, with a special shout out to Suzi who stepped up so quickly and so brilliantly to get the fun going. For me, this is when TG is at its best - people all over the world creating and sharing in a warm and forgiving environment. If you haven't tried it yet, there's no time like the present.

Keep them coming, folks!

Stuart

Craig

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Al,
Wow! that was wonderful. I know it's a "for fun" thread but your playing and vocals were really well done!

Craig

P.S. It must be flattering yet slightly embarrassing to have Helen keep whistling at you like that!! :laugh: :laugh:

suziko

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Wow, I am loving this thread! What a great idea, Stu! It’s so nice to see what everyone is coming up with! They’ve all been so much fun and so creative.

Stu- Well, I knew you wouldn’t disappoint! Really liked the ring-tone at the beginning of the video. I love how your song starts off like a ballad, but then turns into a kiss-off song! And of course I loved the references to both my and Shel’s songs. But what’s up with that cheeky grin at the end?? Hmm….why do I have the feeling someone is poking fun a little bit?

Dennis- I really liked your song and I think we can ALL relate to the message!! I never pick up my home phone because anyone who really wants to talk to me calls me on my cell. Loved your clever rhymes, too. Great job!

Al- Mohawk is too cute! He must really keep your self-esteem boosted! :laugh: Nice job on reimagining this “obscure” (haha) song! I loved your lyrics and really liked the multi-tracking! Great melodies. You guys are going to shame me into buying a microphone one of these days.

I’m loving ALL these videos and just can’t wait to see what else people have in store for us. This is just great and it’s so fun to see the community engaged again.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Wow, this thread is like a box of chocolates ... (you know the rest)

Kevin, nice one there. Funny touch: "... at the tOHne" !
Quite a difference from your Jim Croce tunes, you do play lots of styles.

Stuart, that was charming and mischievous fun ... thanks for this challenge!

Dennis, that's a singalong tune for sure :)
Sometimes when a telemarketer calls, I'll start spinning made-up stories or off the cuff reflections,
like how my sister-in-law never cleans her dentures, or why Golden Retrievers are absolutely the best breed of dog,
but I wish they didn't shed all that fur ... I get a special kick when the caller hangs up on me.
Then again, sometimes it's obvious that the person is smiling at a welcome change in his routine.

Al, quite a production there, you can really knock'em off. I found that part of the fun of making up these phone messages
is adapting a tune you are currently working on, and it takes a lot of the pressure off when playing it with silly lyrics.

Again, great stuff, everyone ! :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic