Busking Basslines

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:35 pm

daryl wrote:
Here's my contribution. One take on the bass and one take on the rhythm....so warts and all....

Daryl,

Really enjoyed that. I like your novel approach to youtube.. finding unknown talent, taking their uploads and adding/improving on them.
The guy looked like he approved at the end! :)

Spot-on playing with both instruments too!

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:41 pm

michelew wrote:
This is The Way I am by Ingrid Michaelson. I really like the simplicity of each of the parts and that they build on each other. There's nothing fancy here.

OK - I started recording a guitar part and vocals together ... and found oops!... that each part wasn't automatic enough to do them together yet, so I recorded them separately. The guitar parts is just barre chords on my classical.I haven't worked out how to add three simultaneous videos with iMovie, so I opted for the vocals. The percussion parts are a backing track.

I don't feel like I have the sound mix right, and that I should have rerecorded the vocals... but... here it is anyway.

I do like playing this song.

Michele,
I have to agree with Suzi. Your playing and confidence on both vocals and (multiple) instruments have improved vastly since you've started uploading. I assume the percussion is you as well?

Great job all round!

dekotaj

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Chris and Daryl

Great job guys.Chris doing a moody tune.And Daryl (as Al said) grabbing a you tube vid and adding to it.BRAVO gentleman!!!

Kev

michelew

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks so much everyone. You're SUCH a bunch of sweeties and SO generous. My opening vocals were definitely off-key and cringe-inducing, but you're all so encouraging all the same. I might rerecord that bit today.

Daryl - Thanks - I figured I'd start with a straight-forward one and of course I really love this song. I'm likely to get into some Beatles soon, nothing too complex initially. Got a top three, five, seven :) favourites that are doable at my level of experience (or lack there of)? I'm sure iMovie can do more. I just haven't learned how yet. I mix the tracks in GarageBand and replace the video audios with it. It makes syncing much easier. You then just have to sync the videos to the track...still heaps of fiddling :) Got any more songs up your sleeve? Silly question right? Don't be shy. Come back and dazzle us again if you feel the urge.

Willem - :) I definitely read it as "sweet". Thank you. Mine you, it was really humid here and my hands actually were really sweaty which made sliding up and down the fret board impossible unfortunately. It was still fun. So...will we see something from you soon?

Den - You're SUCH a sweetie, the opening vocals were woe awful. :) So I'm really glad they get better. Bass payer aloofness eh? Well I'm happy with that. Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that I'm probably much more of a bass player in character. I'm definitely not one for the spot light as you know. So I'll work on my cool and groove and see what comes. Best uploads you say, well that's nice to hear...I think. I'm looking forward to playing together some time in the not too distant future, perhaps my bass and vocals to your guitar and singing. Thanks for being so encouraging as you always are.

Bob - Thanks! Want to show us some bass lines?

Suzi- Hey You! Thanks! Gosh woman you've put such a big smile on my face. I'm so glad you like it. Vocals...well that's how Ingrid sings it, (except she's on pitch the whole time of course :) ) - I'm really hoping to see something else from you. I LOVED your phone message. Thanks sweetie.

Nessa - And then my smile gets even bigger when I read your response sweet woman ... WOW! I'm over the moon. Of corse it's ALL your fault that I'm playing this monster of an instrument. It's all YOUR fault that I'm having so much fun with it. All your fault that I'm walking around singing bass lines at times. :) You're a huge inspiration in my musical life Ness. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. SO I've found my voice you reckon. :) Hmmmm... if you SAY so...:P

Chris - Thanks! Cool is definitely good. Yep it sure is a monster of a bass. Actually I keep hitting the furniture with either end while I'm trying to position myself properly to record it. Actually I might get myself an electric bass at some point now that I can use the iPad to amp it. I'm not rushing out to do that, but a smaller body would be easier to manage. Of course most of the difficulty comes with playing in first position and of course that wouldn't change. It sure is a fun beast to play though.

Mike - Thanks. Yes the bass is a beauty. It's a Tanglewood TW155A/Bass. It's got a pick up so you can play amplified or unplugged. It's nice to have the choice and it sounds cool and has a great depth of tone when played acoustically too. I tried quite a few and I'd definitely recommend you give it a go if you are looking for a bass for yourself.

Tom - Thanks and thanks for the video advice. I'm not sure I understand you properly yet. Actually I'm likely to purchase FInal Cut at some point because I believe it's more versatile. It's a good thing I like learning new stuff. RIght? :) I tried pulling the completed video into a new project this morning and no success so far. I use GarageBand to edit the tracks together and then replace the video audio with that. SO it's the multiple simultaneous visuals that I'm really struggling with rather than the multiple tracks per se. Thanks.

Al - THANKS! That's all so nice to hear coming from someone as accomplished as you are. The percussion wasn't mine, though I'd love to record the percussion tracks as well. I wanted to get it up fairly quickly so I cheated. Want to put something up? I'm SURE you'v got some appropriate songs in your repertoire and/or you can get up on a favourite that fits the bill quickly enough.

Thanks everyone. I hope some of you are working on project to add to this thread. I KNOW that you've all got the skills to do so. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

THanks again.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Just the way you are Michelle

I've never really looked at electric guitars before, interesting stuff.
I was looking at some bass guitar the other day since you mentioned them.

Dermot

willem

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:40 am

michelew wrote:
[Willem - :) I definitely read it as "sweet". Thank you. Mine you, it was really humid here and my hands actually were really sweaty which made sliding up and down the fret board impossible unfortunately. It was still fun. So...will we see something from you soon?[

Michel,,I hope so,,I never bin on the bassline thing but I find two of them that I like or want to learn,,don't know if I can manege but I'm on it..

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:39 am

chris, excellent Moody blues. just wondering if you have ever worked on ride my see saw?
Mike
Thanks Mike! Yes, I have been toying in my mind with the idea of looking at Ride my See-saw... hmmm, not sure yet if it will go beyond that stage....

Thanks Al, nice to be back in town!

daryl

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Sorry all. I just had to redo my video of "My Girl". I thought the quick 1st takes just weren't good enough. No need to comment again.....

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 pm

My, my, my ... that's 3 humdinger videos already. Each of these is a gem.

Chris, you seem quite confident fingering the bassline embellishments on this tune, also your vocals and rhythm just meld together so well.

Daryl, watching that video, it was suddenly summer, with the sunshine on my shoulders. Really, really.

Michele, that was so very warm and vibrant. I find that I'm developing quite an appreciation for female singers these days ...
Made me feel like mashed potatoes swimming in warm gravy, mmmmm ....

Pierre

tovo

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I haven't seen a thread go off like this for a while. Great stuff Chris, Daryl and Shel. That consumed my 'wake up time' really well!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic